pinay2014

N400 name change

5 posts in this topic

Ok, hi everyone. . Here is my dilemma. . I have been divorce for a year but i am still carrying my exhusband's last name (i wished i just included it on our divorce decree to have it change but i did not do it).

My question is: i wanted my maiden name back -do i need to file legally for last name change first to the court and wait for the judge to grant it before i apply for my citizenship OR it's not necessary to do that and just filled up that section of N400 'name change' so i can legally use my maiden name back.

any input is appreciated.

Thanks all.

When you get the citizenship interview and is approved immigration officer ask you if you want to change your name. No matter whether you are married or divorced.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you not just take your divorce decree to the Social Security Administration and change your name back to your maiden name? I don't think it had to be included in the decree for you to be able to do it. Then you would complete the N400 with your maiden name.

• 5 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Which name is used in the certificate? the legal name or the name on the green card? . I used my full name as legal name but I want to keep my name as it appears on my green card which is a short version. I did not apply to change my name in the N400 form because I assumed it is going to be the name on the green card, but I am not sure anymore.... any idea?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.