floridaboundcanuk

Removal of Conditions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone,

Been living since April here in the sunny south and have been loving every moment of married life. I just wanted to confirm what I think I already know with someone who has knowledge on the subject - I came down on a K1, I've already received my Employment Card, just waiting on my conditional 2 year green card. I just received a notice from USCIS that I've been waived for an interview, so I won't need one. I assume this means that there is nothing more to do on my part until I receive my green card in the mail? I already have a Social Security card, drivers license, registered my car, etc..

Then as I understand it 90 days before the 2 year green card expires I can mail in my Removal of Conditions package?

That's really all I need to know. I'll ask more about removal of conditions when it comes time to cross that bridge.

For all you noobies who are doing this from the start, don't worry. If you plan correctly you'll be surprised how easy it is and there is light at the end of the long tunnel. They just make you jump through oodles of hoops is all. I've actually been jumping through more dealing with the Canadian government than I do with the US one. For instance, I was called for jury duty (that was fun to figure out how to get out of that, or even get through on the phone) Canada EI (I love that you phone them and they take forever phoning you back), CRA etc..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know, you are correct. I didn't get my interview waived but my greencard that arrived had the start date/expiry date based on my interview date of April 23, 2013 even though it came in the mail a week or so later. From my understanding, I can file after January 23 and must file before April 23 of 2015.

My Canadian passport also expires this coming spring. Ugh. I have to do the whole name change thing which is going to be a pain and cost a lot of bling. Hey I rhymed... Anyway, I'm not sure what to do first. I've been tempted to just file for a new passport before I submit ROC but I'm not sure if that will affect ROC at all in case I don't get it back in time. Any thoughts?

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know, you are correct. I didn't get my interview waived but my greencard that arrived had the start date/expiry date based on my interview date of April 23, 2013 even though it came in the mail a week or so later. From my understanding, I can file after January 23 and must file before April 23 of 2015.

My Canadian passport also expires this coming spring. Ugh. I have to do the whole name change thing which is going to be a pain and cost a lot of bling. Hey I rhymed... Anyway, I'm not sure what to do first. I've been tempted to just file for a new passport before I submit ROC but I'm not sure if that will affect ROC at all in case I don't get it back in time. Any thoughts?

Hey thanks for replying, I thought that was how it goes but I wanted a little confirmation for sanity's sake. What I would do is make a computer scan of your passport front, back, bio page, visa page etc.. with anything in it, file for your new passport, do the same for that and simply send in both when it comes time. Just make sure you make it clear both in your cover letter and on the scan print outs themselves that one is old and expired, and the other is new and has a new number. I'm not looking forward to renewing mine either. Thankfully its still good for a few years, but having to pay a tonne extra for a new one just because I don't live there anymore and because everyone is switching to a ten year one is robbery.

Only if you plan to travel but they give you an extension letter they don't stamp anything in your passport.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey thanks for replying, I thought that was how it goes but I wanted a little confirmation for sanity's sake. What I would do is make a computer scan of your passport front, back, bio page, visa page etc.. with anything in it, file for your new passport, do the same for that and simply send in both when it comes time. Just make sure you make it clear both in your cover letter and on the scan print outs themselves that one is old and expired, and the other is new and has a new number. I'm not looking forward to renewing mine either. Thankfully its still good for a few years, but having to pay a tonne extra for a new one just because I don't live there anymore and because everyone is switching to a ten year one is robbery.

Yeah I was debating just filing for the new passport ahead of time so as not to have to deal with both that and ROC at the same time, but then I feel like I'm wasting a few months of time that I paid for! Decisions, decisions.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.