kaffykat

Bringing over USC's Step-daughter

5 posts in this topic

My other daughter just spent the last 7 weeks with us here and is seriously now thinking about coming back to stay.

I am a little confused as to what paperwork I would have to do for her.

Bit of history:

I came over on a K1 visa in May 2006 and brought my eldest daughter with me on a K2, we are both currently in the AOS process, after I got married in June 2006.

My younger daughter, who is 13, lives with her father and was given the choice of coming with me or staying in Australia with her father, she chose to stay because she felt the change would be too much for her. She was already living with her father at this time and had done for a couple of years previously.

Except for putting her on the paperwork as one of my children, nothing else was done with regards to her coming to the US.

In other words, no medical exam, no interview and no visa for her. Money was fairly tight as I am sure you can all appreciate with this process and I didn't want that pressure on her to come if I spent the money on a maybe and did a follow-to-join at the outset of the visa process, giving her a clear 12months to follow. In other words I didn't want her to feel obligated.

I am unsure how to proceed with this if it is her wish to come live with us. I have read the guides and also the information on the USCIS site but it really is as clear as mud to me. Do I reopen the original K1 case (I-864?) and do the follow-to-join or does my husband petition her on a I-130? Also, would she have to travel to the embassy and go to an interview, I know she would have to have the medical done and get a letter of permission from her father to come here.

Edited by kaffykat

2-28-2009 Sent in I-751

3-14-2009 Received I-751 back because they can't read

3-16-2009 Re-Sent I-751

3-17-2009 Received by Vermont

Waiting and watching the calendar flip ever so over closer to 4-2-2009 (When my 2 yr GC expires) . . .

4-2-2009 Received I-751 back AGAIN! Oh and my GC expired today.

4-3-2009 Re-Sent I-751

4-4-2009 Received by Vermont

4-6-2009 Date of NOA-1 Extension Letter (Rec'd 4/13/09)

4-10-2009 Check Cashed

4-24-2009 Date of Biometrics letter (Rec'd 4/30/09)

5-11-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Louisville.

I am not sure whether it is possible to now file for her as a K2.

I do know that yes your husband can file an immigrant visa petition for her...the I-130. That would be processed through the NVC then on to the consulate in Australia. She would need a medical and she would need to attend an interview in Sydney.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

married Dec '03 in US

Feb 04...... I 130 filed......................approved August 04

March 04... I 129F filed....................approved October 04

August 04...I 130 for children filed....approved September 04

Interview: Jan 19 2005 in Sydney

~~~~K3/K4 Visas granted~~~~~

Leave for New Hampshire 27 January 05

We are Home!!!!! :o)

AOS timeline....round 1

2/16/05 I-765 mailed to Chicago

5/24/05 EAD approved

7/11/05 Started work!!

AOS....round 2 (to finally finish things off)

10/25/06 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

11/16/06 Transferred to CSC

11/17/06 Biometrics appt

11/27/06 Touched "Case now pending at CSC"

1/12/07 EAD "touched"

1/16/07 EAD "touched"

1/17/07 EAD approved "Card production Ordered"

1/20/07 I 485 "touched"

1/22/07 EAD card received

6/13/07 Transferred back to Missouri....grrrrrrr

7/23/07 Interview date! FINALLY!

7/23/07 AOS APPROVED!!! :o) 10 yr Greencard I 551 stamp in passport.

7/28/07 Welcome letter received

7/28/07 Card production ordered.

8/1/07 Approval notice senT

8/3/07 Greencards received in mail!

~~~WE ARE DONE~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The child has up to a year after issuance of the original K-1 to apply for a K-2 visa - basically, exercising her "follow to join" rights.

She is entitled to derive status as a K-2 for one full year, and this is the easiest way to get her here, in my opinion.

You would need to get in touch with the consulate in your country and request that the process be started for issuance of a K-2 with follow-to-join rights. There is no need to file a seperate petition as you are within the one year timeframe.

As your daughter is only 13, the step-parent relationship was formed with your husband prior to her attaining the age of 18. If she wants to come at a later date, after the one year timeframe for eligibility of a K-2, your husband can petition for her as his stepdaughter on an I-130.

Good Luck!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Thankyou so much Girona40!!!

It just didn't make much sense to me when I read the guideline for it!! :wacko: You put it all in plainer english for me. Well now it is up to my daughter to decide and hopefully she will make that decision in the next few months.

One question though, is the 12 months determined from the date of the visa issuance 04/20/06, or from the date of my arrival in the US 05/22/06?

2-28-2009 Sent in I-751

3-14-2009 Received I-751 back because they can't read

3-16-2009 Re-Sent I-751

3-17-2009 Received by Vermont

Waiting and watching the calendar flip ever so over closer to 4-2-2009 (When my 2 yr GC expires) . . .

4-2-2009 Received I-751 back AGAIN! Oh and my GC expired today.

4-3-2009 Re-Sent I-751

4-4-2009 Received by Vermont

4-6-2009 Date of NOA-1 Extension Letter (Rec'd 4/13/09)

4-10-2009 Check Cashed

4-24-2009 Date of Biometrics letter (Rec'd 4/30/09)

5-11-2009 Biometrics Appointment in Louisville.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline
One question though, is the 12 months determined from the date of the visa issuance 04/20/06, or from the date of my arrival in the US 05/22/06?

I have the same question. My wife received her K1 on 12/1/2005, and entered the U.S. on 4/1/2006. I wonder if we can still get a K2...?

We want to bring her son to the U.S. I wasn't planning on using the K2 because we're going to Paraguay in March and I was going to apply for her son's immigrant visa at the U.S. embassy. Then I got the email below from the embassy on January 23, 2007. Does anyone know about this change? Is it enforceable? I sent a letter to my Senator, but we had already bought airline tickets.

Casali, Irma Liliana (Asuncion) (CasaliL@state.gov)

To: Tom

Subject: RE: Stepson's visa

Tom,

We just received an official notification from USCIS (immigration office in USA) that consulates must cease accepting and adjudicating any I-130 (immigrant visa petition).

You must now file the I-130 for your stepson in the U.S. and once it is approved it will be forward to us for processing.

Personally, I very much regret this decision, it will harm many families. Sorry...

Regards,

Nany Casali

Immigration Visa Assistant

15 Jul 2005 I-129F Received by the CSC

26 Jul 2005 NOA1

19 Oct 2005 NOA2

24 Oct 2005 Received NOA2 by snail mail

31 Oct 2005 Received letter from NVC with case number

02 Nov 2005 Received email from consulate asking for I-134

04 Nov 2005 Medical exam $150, Vaccinations $90

02 Dec 2005 K-1 Visa Granted

25 Mar 2006 POE JFK Work stamp issued

02 Jun 2006 MARRIED

:DISCLAIMER: I am neither a lawyer nor received any training whatsoever in legal issues. The views I express are through my own personal experiences. Always consult an attorney or legal professional for legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.