wobblyal

Entry to the US once Green Card is approved

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi All

I read the following in another post:

Also be aware that you have to be in the US six months from the date of your medical. I asked in our interview if there was a time limit on when we had to physically be living in the US expecting it to be based on the date the Greencard is issued, however it is based on the medical due to immunisation. You will get an immunisation record at your medical that you need to hand over when you enter the US as well as when applying for schools, jobs etc.

Is it true that the 6 months is based on the mdeical? This does not really make sense as the vaccinations are supposed to be good for 10 years.

Thanks

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The unspoken rule is that the I-551 stamped on your passport will be valid for six months after the date of you physical. The expiration date will be printed on the stamp, so you will know what it is. All in all you should have enough time to tie up all lose ends back home and leave. Don't worry too much.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Hi All

I read the following in another post:

Also be aware that you have to be in the US six months from the date of your medical. I asked in our interview if there was a time limit on when we had to physically be living in the US expecting it to be based on the date the Greencard is issued, however it is based on the medical due to immunisation. You will get an immunisation record at your medical that you need to hand over when you enter the US as well as when applying for schools, jobs etc.

Is it true that the 6 months is based on the mdeical? This does not really make sense as the vaccinations are supposed to be good for 10 years.

Thanks

The unspoken rule is that the I-551 stamped on your passport will be valid for six months after the date of you physical. The expiration date will be printed on the stamp, so you will know what it is. All in all you should have enough time to tie up all lose ends back home and leave. Don't worry too much.

John, the original question is different to what you have answered. It's not about going back after entry (and in any case there is no 'unspoken rule' about 6 months, it is printed that it is 12 month from entry). Medicals outside the US do not in fact have their expiry printed anywhere that the applicant can see. The question is about the original immigrant visa. But I think the question comes from some confusion too. It's nothing to do with the vaccinations but the medical report itself, which expires - anywhere from 3-12 months depending on country and specific circumstance, but most often 6 months.

Different people have been told different things: some (like me) to only worry about the expiry date on the visa (and I did exactly that and was fine), others have been told to enter before their medicals expire ( and get told when that is) even if before the visa expires, others still have their visas expiring earlier than 6 months to match medical expiry if necessary. Wobbly, you need to check with the CO who interviews you, and follow his/her instructions on this matter.

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks JohnR and SusieQQQ, I think I am overthinking things as the interview date gets closer! :o)

Hi there, when's your interview? So my experience is that, if you have an interview date, make sure your medical examination and documentation is done and ready to hand in and NOT older than 6 months, the dr stamped my papers in Cape Town and I had my interview in JHB, the first thing she asked me for is if I have my medical, so be sure that is ok, also take ALOT of evidence with you, I had two files, and she went through everything, JHB can be difficult, you should be fine PM me for any advice, my interview was in 2010

Hi there, when's your interview? So my experience is that, if you have an interview date, make sure your medical examination and documentation is done and ready to hand in and NOT older than 6 months, the dr stamped my papers in Cape Town and I had my interview in JHB, the first thing she asked me for is if I have my medical, so be sure that is ok, also take ALOT of evidence with you, I had two files, and she went through everything, JHB can be difficult, you should be fine PM me for any advice, my interview was in 2010

Why was your interview difficult? We found everything pretty straightforward and that seems to be the experience of most people on the SA forum. What "evidence" are you talking about that you needed so much of? We had the standard list of items and some proof of financial assets and that was fine. Was there something unusual with your case like a marriage after selection, or trying to prove work experience rather than education to qualify you, that you had such a difficult time?

You can't book the medical till you have an interview letter so it can't be older than 6 months by definition! Also I guess the cape town doc has changed because now they send the medicals direct to the consulate in Jhb.

There was nothing wrong with my case, it was a j1 converted to a Cr1, obviously you can only book n medical after you have an interview DATE, two people got denied infront of me, when you there everybody hears your conversation because the seats are so close to the window. It's better to be over prepared , I got all the info from this site when I prepared and it helped ALOT, their list is ok but depending on the officer she might ask for more.

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

My interview is actually in London, based on previous data I expected an interview in December,but it will now be in January 2015.

Because I was travelling in Aug & Nov I called the London panel doctor and they recommended I have the medical asap. As a result The medical was done in early September, with the only requirement being a police certificate and case number. I must add that I repeated the instructions wrt medicals to 2 admin staff and the doctor and they all assured me that sooner was better than waiting for an interview date.

After discovering that the medical date could affect the initial 6 month entry period, I called the doctor again last week. They said that previous to 1 October medicals in London were good for 1 year, and suggested I not worry but rather see what happened at the interview. They also confirmed that there was no longer a "top up" medical option.

I am planning to redo the medical when I get notification of my interview in Dec as I don't want to take a chance; from my understanding with the current medical date I would only get 3-4 month instead of 6 for the initial entry.

There was nothing wrong with my case, it was a j1 converted to a Cr1, obviously you can only book n medical after you have an interview DATE, two people got denied infront of me, when you there everybody hears your conversation because the seats are so close to the window. It's better to be over prepared , I got all the info from this site when I prepared and it helped ALOT, their list is ok but depending on the officer she might ask for more.

Oh that's why it was complicated, because it was CR1. This is the DV forum, interviews are far less complicated and more straightforward than other immigrant visas. Denials are rare in SA, usually when people have not followed the eligibility criteria.

Edited by SusieQQQ

My interview is actually in London, based on previous data I expected an interview in December,but it will now be in January 2015.

Because I was travelling in Aug & Nov I called the London panel doctor and they recommended I have the medical asap. As a result The medical was done in early September, with the only requirement being a police certificate and case number. I must add that I repeated the instructions wrt medicals to 2 admin staff and the doctor and they all assured me that sooner was better than waiting for an interview date.

After discovering that the medical date could affect the initial 6 month entry period, I called the doctor again last week. They said that previous to 1 October medicals in London were good for 1 year, and suggested I not worry but rather see what happened at the interview. They also confirmed that there was no longer a "top up" medical option.

I am planning to redo the medical when I get notification of my interview in Dec as I don't want to take a chance; from my understanding with the current medical date I would only get 3-4 month instead of 6 for the initial entry.

Oh what a pity. London is the one embassy where the doctors let you do medicals anytime and they don't warn people.... and there have been cases of people with expired or soon to be expired medicals as a result :( I would check this with the embassy if I were you, and i would check it before the interview. If you go with a medicals with 2 months to go for example, they won't wait for you to do a new medical but will just issue you a 2-month visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.