zierra26

do i need to attend cfo if my aos is pending in the US?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My AOS is pending now and have my combo card but no GC. I am going to the Phils to get my daughter 2 weeks from now.

Also, I have not registered/reported my marriage in Phil embassy because I planned to do that when I am going to renew my passport. I do not mind getting the certificate or attending the seminar. My problem is I do not think I have enough time to get a copy and register/report my marriage and get an authenticated copy from them since it is a requirement in attending the cfo if married abroad. All I am holding is my US marriage certificate. I need a clarification for this please.. thank you very much..

My AOS is pending now and have my combo card but no GC. I am going to the Phils to get my daughter 2 weeks from now.

Also, I have not registered/reported my marriage in Phil embassy because I planned to do that when I am going to renew my passport. I do not mind getting the certificate or attending the seminar. My problem is I do not think I have enough time to get a copy and register/report my marriage and get an authenticated copy from them since it is a requirement in attending the cfo if married abroad. All I am holding is my US marriage certificate. I need a clarification for this please.. thank you very much..

My passport is in my maiden name, my combo card is on my married name.

Feb.2011: Met online
Nov.2011: Meet in person
Aug.2012: Got engaged
Jan29,2013: Sent I-129F petition
Feb 4: NOA1:
Jul24,2013: email notification stating our approved application was sent to Department of State for visa processing
July 6: NOA2 approval date
Aug 21: NOA2 hardcopy sent out by USCIS
Aug 5: NVC received our case
Aug 8: Montreal Consulate received..
Aug 19: Packet 3 sent to USEM ( no packet 3 received)
Aug 27: Packet 4 received thru email.
Aug 12: Medical exam date
Nov 18: Interview date / Passed

Nov 19: Visa issued

Nov 25: Picked up visa and POE

Nov 30: Wedding day

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My passport is in my maiden name, my combo card is on my married name.

1) carry a copy of your marriage certificate in case there are questions about name variances. Ticket needs to match the passport.

2) You did not attend CFO before you flew to the USA? Did you process in another country besides the Philippines?

You many not need CFO if you show the AP/EAD combo card as that is proof you are not an exiting immigrant (CFO is only for exiting immigrants), not absolutely sure on this, I know once having the green card it is no issue.

ROM takes almost a month.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

1) carry a copy of your marriage certificate in case there are questions about name variances. Ticket needs to match the passport.

2) You did not attend CFO before you flew to the USA? Did you process in another country besides the Philippines?

You many not need CFO if you show the AP/EAD combo card as that is proof you are not an exiting immigrant (CFO is only for exiting immigrants), not absolutely sure on this, I know once having the green card it is no issue.

ROM takes almost a month.

1. I will carry a copy of my marriage certificate and anything that will help with my cfo .

2. I processes my papers in Canada so hopefully I wont have to attend the seminar and will just get the cfo sticker..

Thank you Hanks.. The process is just so overwhelming and tiring.. BUt hopefully my papers is enough for them..

Jul24,2013: email notification stating our approved application was sent to Department of State for visa processing

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. I will carry a copy of my marriage certificate and anything that will help with my cfo .

2. I processes my papers in Canada so hopefully I wont have to attend the seminar and will just get the cfo sticker..

Thank you Hanks.. The process is just so overwhelming and tiring.. BUt hopefully my papers is enough for them..

What you should be looking at is you have your Advance Parole card showing you are no longer an exiting immigrant, thus not needing a sticker.

You will not get a sticker without a certificate from attending the seminar, so if you need the sticker you will need to plan to attend the seminar.

I don't have an easy answer, with the green card it is very clear, with the EAD/AP combo card I don't know of anyone traveling to and from the Phils and how immigration/customs reacted when checking through. One though is asking customs as you enter, explain you don't have your CFO sticker in that passport and if having your AP (show it to them) will be adequate for exiting when traveling back to the USA.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

What you should be looking at is you have your Advance Parole card showing you are no longer an exiting immigrant, thus not needing a sticker.

You will not get a sticker without a certificate from attending the seminar, so if you need the sticker you will need to plan to attend the seminar.

I don't have an easy answer, with the green card it is very clear, with the EAD/AP combo card I don't know of anyone traveling to and from the Phils and how immigration/customs reacted when checking through. One though is asking customs as you enter, explain you don't have your CFO sticker in that passport and if having your AP (show it to them) will be adequate for exiting when traveling back to the USA.

Thank you Hank, I will remember to ask them that question and if I have to attend the cfo seminar, I guess I can not do anything about it..

Thank you again for the nice advice...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.