GBCW

Veteran teacher fired for actions while defending bullied student

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Posted: Sep 30, 2014 2:17 AM EDT

FOUNTAIN HILLS, AZ (CBS5) - Pam Aister spent 25 years as a teacher in the Fountain Hills Unified School District.

Monday night, she lost her job as a fourth-grade teacher at Four Peaks Elementary School.

The incident that led to her removal happened in May, when Aister said she defended an African-American student who was being bullied by five other boys who'd bothered him in the past.

Aister said she was suspended in May, and when the district moved to fire her over the summer, she appealed.

During a special meeting Monday, Aister told the district's governing board what she said to the students, "Student 11 (bullied student) is in my room now. He is not alone. When you pick on him - you pick on me. It is not five to one anymore. It is five to two. There will be no more taunting, teasing and racial names called. That is not acceptable here; do you understand?"

According to a report by a district-appointed hearing officer, the mother of one of the students complained, and Aister's behavior was found to be threatening.

The hearing officer recommended the governing board dismiss her, in part, because Aister would not take responsibility for her misconduct.

After what members of the board said was careful consideration, they voted 4-1 to terminate Aister - effective immediately.

"I am terribly disappointed," said Aister. "I can't believe they would believe lies. I hate to go out on lies."

The dissenting board member, Dr. C.T. Wright, said the punishment was too severe for a teacher who'd served the district in good standing for 25 years.

Those who came to the meeting in support of Aister said an injustice has been done.

"Even if mistakes were made, it sends the wrong message to the student body, to the other parents - that a group of moms can get together and get the school board on their side to bully a teacher," said Drew Coleman, who was there to represent his friend, a former student of Aister's, who couldn't make it to the meeting.

Other people backed the board's decision – acknowledging it was a difficult one.

"In this instance, these parents, everyone knowing what they know about her (Aister's) reputation and knowing there was actual proof and knowing there was more than one witness - felt that this was their opportunity to finally bring to light the way that she treats certain children," said Nicole Perkins, who has children who attend Four Peaks Elementary School but didn't have Aister as a teacher.

CBS 5 News tried to speak with members of the governing board Monday night.

However, they quickly left the building after the meeting adjourned – without commenting.

http://www.kpho.com/story/26659959/veteran-teacher-fired-for-actions-while-defending-bullied-student

Filed: Timeline

The only thing worse than bullies in school are their parents. These people have no concept of parenting. Their spoiled little brats are proof of that.

I think they are probably bullies partially because of their parents. Thats my experience anyway as someone who was bullied occasionally in school.

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg