Sparklepaws

I-134 Questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello friends, my name is Abraham (24, USA citizen). I'm somewhat new here, but will probably be frequenting the forums more often at this point. I know these questions have probably been answered before, but I've been unable to locate them on the forums.

My I-129F petition was recently approved and I'm moving onto the next steps of the process to bring my fiance to the USA, which of course includes helping my fiance get their Visa interview. One of the requirements is form I-134, which is specifically what I have questions about.

1. I'm unable to meet the financial requirements for the I-134, so I need a joint sponsor. What sort of evidence does the joint sponsor need to submit (other than what is listed in the I-134 instructions)? Several people have told me that they will need to give me copies of their 1040 tax returns, proof of citizenship and a W-2.

2. As I am unable to meet the requirements (I recieve disability, SSA and SSI), will I be required to submit supporting evidence? If so, what?

3. Is the joint sponsor required to meet 100% OF the federal poverty line for their household, or be 100% ABOVE it?

4. Later when we apply for a change of status, will the I-864 replace the I-134?

5. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks so much ahead of time; this has been a very confusing journey and we're still learning. Perhaps one day I'll be helping others with my experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello!

What is your fiance's country? Most of your questions are consulate specific. Others, I'll let more experienced members help you with.

Congratulations and good luck!

Also, please fill in your timeline and country so that you can contribute to the VJ statistics.

Timeline

My apologies, I've filled out my timeline to the best of my knowledge and set my information as well. My fiance is in England and will be using the London consulate.

(I'm assuming the country now listed under my name is for my fiance's visa. The United Kingdom is not my country of residency.)

Edited by Sparklepaws

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My apologies, I've filled out my timeline to the best of my knowledge and set my information as well. My fiance is in England and will be using the London consulate.

(I'm assuming the country now listed under my name is for my fiance's visa. The United Kingdom is not my country of residency.)

That's right.

Here you go! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/

I wish I was from the UK so I could use this awesome guide :) I'm not sure it will answer all your questions, but you certainly can find useful information.

Timeline

That guide is an AMAZING resource and has already simplified not only the I-134 form, but also more of the process. I'm pretty sure I can work from this!

If possible, could I still get an answer to question 3?

Edited by Sparklepaws

3. Is the joint sponsor required to meet 100% OF the federal poverty line for their household, or be 100% ABOVE it?

=> Technically you need 100% of the poverty line for the household + immigrant for the I-134, but to adjust status you will need 125%.

Hence it is safer to go with 125% above poverty line.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Awesome, thanks so much for the information.

As a supplementary question: My finance and I were going over the Consulate letter he received. It says that his Priority Date was in August, but that it's valid for four months after. Does this mean I'll need to send him another letter of intent to marry, since the priority date has technically been passed? Or is the priority date four months AFTER August?

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for bringing this thread back up but I have an emergency question.

My fiance and I had some snags getting our paperwork together. We're inches away from being able to submit our Notification of Readiness, but the validity of our Approval Notice (as stated in our I-797 Notice of Action) is the 25th of December (one week from now).

What happens if we miss this date? With only a week remaining would we even be able to save it? I heard somewhere that I would need to submit another Letter of Intent if we miss it, is that true and if so, is it the only step we'd need to take?

Prompt replies would be SOOOO appreciated, thank you all very much!

Edited by Sparklepaws

Timeline

I think you can go ahead and submit everything just have a letter ready for your fiancé to submit during the interview. I will most likely have to do the same as we are awaiting a document

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.