zuluweta

Philippines terminal fees part of airline ticket cost starting October 1, 2014

45 posts in this topic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Travel tax is only included in the ticket fee when purchased within the Philippines, and that isn't guaranteed even. And I would think the terminal fee would be the same, time will tell on this.

The terminal fee is already included in all tickets (even for tickets issued outside PH) issued after Feb 1st. It's coded as 'LI' in the tax breakdown and will have a value of PHP550 or USD12.50(as of 2 weeks ago).

Travel tax is still the same, only charged when tickets are issued within the PH and your flight originates PH.

HTH

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Travel tax is still the same, only charged when tickets are issued within the PH and your flight originates PH.

HTH

Travel Tax - Philippines Government finding a way to screw their citizens for traveling internationally.

It's More Fun In the Philippines.........

The terminal fee is already included in all tickets (even for tickets issued outside PH) issued after Feb 1st. It's coded as 'LI' in the tax breakdown and will have a value of PHP550 or USD12.50(as of 2 weeks ago).

HTH

I just booked a one way Manila to Atlanta on the Delta website. Place of issue shows as Delta.com. They have included the following taxes in the tickets:

Philippines - Passenger Service Charge (LI) - $12.40. This would be the PHP 550 Terminal Fee.

Philippines - Travel Tax (PH) - $36.50. This is the PHP 1,620 Travel Tax

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

HTH

Thanks. That is great to know, it will be really nice to not have to deal with that anymore.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I just booked a one way Manila to Atlanta on the Delta website. Place of issue shows as Delta.com. They have included the following taxes in the tickets:

Philippines - Passenger Service Charge (LI) - $12.40. This would be the PHP 550 Terminal Fee.

Philippines - Travel Tax (PH) - $36.50. This is the PHP 1,620 Travel Tax

Does a U.S. Citizen or US green card holder automatically get charged those fees too?

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Does a U.S. Citizen or US green card holder automatically get charged those fees too?

Understanding that OFW are exempt from terminal fees and the travel tax by law...

Terminal fees are payed by all travelers regardless of nationality. I suspect there may be certain exemptions, but in general every traveler pays the terminal fee. Think of it as an "airport use fee".

Travel Tax is different. It is paid by

Citizens of the Philippines;
Foreigners holding a permanent resident visa Sec. 13 Quota or Preference Immigrant Visa

Foreign tourists or expatriates who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year.

http://www.tieza.gov.ph/index.php/travel-tax

Edited by sevenrider860

VOL, on 23 Feb 2015 - 2:18 PM, said:

Travel Tax - Philippines Government finding a way to screw their citizens for traveling internationally.

It's More Fun In the Philippines.........

There is a lesson here grasshopper.... Every airport in the world slaps a tax on your ticket when you use their airport, not just the Philippines. You fly domestically here in the USA and every airport you land in or fly out of will tax that ticket in your hands. It's used for the airport costs of doing business. If you don't have a safe airport to fly in then your left with avoiding the cow chips in that grassy field up ahead that you will be landing in. :)

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Yup Greenbaum's right. The only thing is, the PHL has been collecting it separately from the ticket price/payment.

Much easier to divert funds that way if there's no automatic collection.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Understanding that OFW are exempt from terminal fees and the travel tax by law...

Terminal fees are payed by all travelers regardless of nationality. I suspect there may be certain exemptions, but in general every traveler pays the terminal fee. Think of it as an "airport use fee".

Travel Tax is different. It is paid by

Citizens of the Philippines;

Foreigners holding a permanent resident visa Sec. 13 Quota or Preference Immigrant Visa

Foreign tourists or expatriates who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year.

http://www.tieza.gov.ph/index.php/travel-tax

How does a Philippines citizen with green card get a refund on the travel tax that's now automatically charged to the ticket price?

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is a lesson here grasshopper.... Every airport in the world slaps a tax on your ticket when you use their airport, not just the Philippines. You fly domestically here in the USA and every airport you land in or fly out of will tax that ticket in your hands. It's used for the airport costs of doing business. If you don't have a safe airport to fly in then your left with avoiding the cow chips in that grassy field up ahead that you will be landing in. :)

THIS. If everyone find the time to inspect their tickets...there are a whole bunch of taxes that are charged by each terminal. US even charge everyone for Sept 11 security... :D .

Taxes, Fees and Charges
Philippines - Travel Tax (PH)
$36.50 USD
United States - Custom User Fee (YC)
$5.50 USD
Japan - Passenger Security Service Charge (OI)
$4.40 USD
Japan - Passenger Service Facilities Charge (SW)
$8.90 USD
Philippines - Passenger Service Charge (LI)
$12.40 USD
United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY)
$5.60 USD
United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY)
$7.00 USD
United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA)
$5.00 USD
United States - Transportation Tax (US)
$17.70 USD

THIS. If everyone find the time to inspect their tickets...there are a whole bunch of taxes that are charged by each terminal. US even charge everyone for Sept 11 security... :D .

Taxes, Fees and Charges
Philippines - Travel Tax (PH)
$36.50 USD
United States - Custom User Fee (YC)
$5.50 USD
Japan - Passenger Security Service Charge (OI)
$4.40 USD
Japan - Passenger Service Facilities Charge (SW)
$8.90 USD
Philippines - Passenger Service Charge (LI)
$12.40 USD
United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY)
$5.60 USD
United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY)
$7.00 USD
United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA)
$5.00 USD
United States - Transportation Tax (US)
$17.70 USD

The descriptions are interesting to read. You are connecting through Japan so you pay for "Passenger Security Service" and "Passenger Service Facilities" ($13.30 total).

I am connecting through Seoul-Inchon. Not only am I saving money ($9.10), I also get to help eradicate poverty! :dancing:

Korea; Republic of - PSC, Departure Tax and Contribution to International Poverty Eradication (BP)

$9.10 USD

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not really.

I purchased two tickets in November. Same price.

When we were leaving in Manila we checked in, and then my fiancé had to go to Travel Tax and pay the travel tax and then go back to the ticket counter to actually get her ticket

So it is an added tax that is put on Citizens of Philippines, I have flown in and out Philippines at least 15 times, I have never paid it........

VOL, on 26 Feb 2015 - 06:28 AM, said:

Not really.

I purchased two tickets in November. Same price.

When we were leaving in Manila we checked in, and then my fiancé had to go to Travel Tax and pay the travel tax and then go back to the ticket counter to actually get her ticket

So it is an added tax that is put on Citizens of Philippines, I have flown in and out Philippines at least 15 times, I have never paid it........

What is the primary use for this tax that you say is "added tax that is put on Citizens of Philippines"? You think only Filipino's pay an added tax? Look at the example that kipper2 posted. Each of those taxes are being used for something that needs to be paid for. So IMHO Citizens of the Philippines are not being chastised any more or less then any other traveler.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.