yassmine2878

Anybody married in Texas lately?

9 posts in this topic

Okay, so searching the forums for 'marriage license in Texas' comes back with a few more results than I can sift through before I turn 30. Thusly, I call upon the widsom of my mena sisters, in the hope that someone here has gotten married recently in Texas (or is about to do so). Mostly because I couldnt figure out which forum was most appropriate to post in, and partly because I just like ya'll better. :P It is my understanding that both peeps must have an SSN to get the license in Texas. Am I right? Has anyone ever gotten around this hurdle? Any way we can get the magic paper without waiting on his magic card?

You do not need the ssn for him because he does not have one for a legitimate reason.

Okay, so searching the forums for 'marriage license in Texas' comes back with a few more results than I can sift through before I turn 30. Thusly, I call upon the widsom of my mena sisters, in the hope that someone here has gotten married recently in Texas (or is about to do so). Mostly because I couldnt figure out which forum was most appropriate to post in, and partly because I just like ya'll better. :P It is my understanding that both peeps must have an SSN to get the license in Texas. Am I right? Has anyone ever gotten around this hurdle? Any way we can get the magic paper without waiting on his magic card?

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I researched this when we filed for our K1. Texas does not require a social security number ... however, some counties do have different requirements. This is what I did...I googled my county and then went to their web site. After reading the web site, I called them on the phone and explained my situation and confirmed the requirements they had listed on the web site. Collin county only wanted a copy of his passport (along with certified translation) and a copy of his immigration papers showing he is here legally.

Even if you needed a social security number for him, you can get one for marriage purposes...you will need to wait until he is here for 2 weeks so he shows up in the system, and they will let him apply. It is relatively quick (2 weeks or less)...when it is received, it will state 'Not Valid For Work Authorization" but can be used to get a marriage license.

Good luck to you!

(F) ~Kiyah~ (F)

Edited by Kiya

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

You do not need the ssn for him because he does not have one for a legitimate reason.

Really? Hot diggity dog! That will make things wayyyyy easier. Thanks!

By the by, Mabruk on the visa in hand!!! :dance:

Even if you needed a social security number for him, you can get one for marriage purposes...you will need to wait until he is here for 2 weeks so he shows up in the system, and they will let him apply. It is relatively quick (2 weeks or less)...when it is received, it will state 'Not Valid For Work Authorization" but can be used to get a marriage license.

I received a number from the SS when my wife was living in Thailand. I filed my taxes and applied for a foreign number (W-7 form I believe). A couple of months later, I received her number, and it states as above regarding work, but it saved me about $1,000 in taxes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

They're right - you don't need a SSN to get married in Texas. In my county all we needed was his passport. We didn't need a translationi either, but I think they used his K-1 Visa (which is in English in the passport) to prove his identity.

You might need to bring a birth certificate though. They asked him where he was born, and they just took his word for it. Maybe they were being nice or didn't know better.

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey

i m living in texas and we got married 2 months ago ,u dont need ssc to have ur marriage license ,all what u need is ur passport (visa) .

Good luck

Hicham

09-11-2005 met on line

03-02-2006 went to morocco

3-15-2006 I-129 filed

04-01-06 NOA 1 recieved

06-30-06 requesting more information

07-31-06 Approval recieved

08-07-06 letter from NVC sending to morocco

08-22-06 Hicham recieved packet 3

08-31-06 Medical appointment for Hicham

09-21-06 Interview at Casablanca

10-04-06 VISA RECIEVED

10-07-06 HICHAM ARRIVES IN USA

10-24-06 Went and applied for Social Security Number

10-30-06 Hicham recieved Social Security Number

11-24-06 Mail off AOS

12-05-06 Recieved NOA for AOS and Employment Authorization

12-11-06 Recieved appointment for Biometric

12-21-06 Biometric appointment

12-21-06 AOS transfered to California

01-25-07 recieved email--Green Card in production

01-30-07 Green Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got married in Louisiana. When we got our marriage licence, I had my Birth Certificate and previous Divorce Certificate. I think I also showed her my drivers license (I don't remember having my passport with me) They wrote my Canadian Social Insurance number in the SSN part.No one has said anything about that yet. The woman we dealt with seemed to be confused about Canada in general.

Edited by Stacey33

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.