DouglasSheridan

for K1's bringing a minor on a K2

4 posts in this topic

first of all I'd like to state how this is taken from my experience in my area, and diff ppl might have had diff experiences.

Here it goes...

My son and I entered the US on 12/09/05 under a K1 and K2 visa. We waited 20 days until going to the local SS office. I had both application forms ready for my son and myself.

They processed all the info and ID when they suddenly noted that because my son was a minor, he fell under the category 'alien not allowed to work'. Therefore he could not receive a SSN.

We were then advised to get a tax ID for him. They tax offices were in the same building so we tried our luck there, but came out emptyhanded.

I posted on here my experience, and was lucky to receive the IRS ITIN number from mdyoung. I phoned them today (number is 1-215-516-4846).

This is the info I got today:

To botain a tax ID, your spouse simply has to file their taxes (on paper) and claim the child as a dependant. With the taxes they have to include form W-7 (can be downloaded from the www.irs.gov website under 'forms and publications').

With both taxes and W-7 two forms of ID should be included for the child. (A birth certificate and copy of passport), as well as a letter from the school the child is attending (if at school age) stating the child is enrolled for that tax year and what grade it is in. All those forms should be notarised by US officials. Can be done at the bank for no fee.

The tax claim will then be filed and after a few weeks, you will receive a letter stating the childs Tax ID.

If however, in the meantime, the child has gone through AOS and therefore received a greencard, this will make it elligable for a SSN. You can then return to the local SS office and re-apply using two forms of ID.

If SSN is at that stage obtained, the taxes can be filed simply with the SSN, disregarding the W-7 form.

I hope this will be useful for any new K1'ers entering the country. I also hope the info is clear. If any more info on diff experiences can be added, please do so. And if any more questions, please dont hesitate.

Thanks!

S.

12/07/05 - receive K1 & K2 visa from embassy

12/09/05 - flew to Lincoln, NE - moving to USA to be with my hun :)

12/27/05 - apply for SSN

02/03/06 - receive SSN

02/04/06 - WE TIE THE KNOT :):)

02/09/06 - applied for State ID - learning to drive.....

02/13/06 - re-applying SSN - married name

02/15/06 - starting AOS and EAD process

02/18/06 - finally got everything in the post (certified mail via USPS)

02/20/06 - package delivered to Chicago (on Presidants Day??)

02/27/06 - NOA1 for 2x AOS and EAD

03/04/06 - biometrics letters received for 2x AOS & EAD

03/13/06 - biometrics appointment in Omaha, NE

03/14/06 - both AOS and EAD got touched... as a result of biometrics?!

06/09/06 - EAD approved

08/03/06 - AOS interview - APPROVED!

11/05/06 - found out we were pregnant :):):):):):):)

07/09/07 - Gabriella is born 7lbs 4oz. - 20 inch. long - an Angel sent from above

05/02/08 - Immigration again... removing conditions this time....

05/09/08 - My son received his extension letter

05/13/08 - I receive my NOA1 - here for at least another year!

05/28/08 - getting my biometrics done

09/30/08 - GC APPROVED - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!!!!!!

<a href="

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Very good information. Thank you!!!

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Myabe Capt Ewok could sticky this before it gets lost in the daily postings? It's real helpful and theres always a lack of good K2 info.

:)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Timeline

One thing you left out is that if you do get the ITIN first, you should contact IRS once the SSN has been assign.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf Page 13

What steps do I have to take when I have an ITIN and become eligible for a Social Security Number?

Make proper application for an SSN and upon receipt of the SSN advise the IRS ITIN Unit of your new SSN. The new SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.