Torete

Davao City, Mindanao

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

VJ,

Anyone from Davao? Anyone visiting or has visited Davao in the past?

My asawa and I will be visiting Davao in the near future and we'd appreciate you comments, observations, and general input as to what it's like?

Negatives, positives? Resorts, beaches, fun things to do? We'd just like to know what others think about the city and surroundings.

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've made about 10 trips there in the last 7 years. Great city, very laid back, super peaceful, The mayor runs the city with a tight fist and it is the safest large city I have been in compared to Cebu or Manila. You don't have to worry about taxi's driver trying to rip you off, and as I said the mayor doesn't not tolerate crime in his city.

Places to party at night is go to MTS (Matina Town Square) open air outside food and bands, and then a little later at night close the night down at V-Place https://www.facebook.com/vplace.davao1.

Beaches are ok in Davao area, You can take a ferry to Samal Island about 15 peso and spend the day at Samal, I like the waterfalls there, They are called Hagimat Falls http://samalbeaches.com/index.php/Resort-in-Samal-Island/Beach/Resort/Hagimit-Falls.html.

I stay off JP Laurel Drive at hotel called Regencyhttp://www.regencyinndavao.com/ (about 15 minutes from airport in the heart of downtown) runs 1400 peso per night and they have king size beds and get the rooms with Mitusubishi air con they are quiet. IF you stay there you are a 1 minute walk from JP Laurel Ave and they have Gmall there and up the road and walking distance is Victorian Mall and then Abrezza Mall and SM Mall , the last two are fairly new.

Overall it's a fun place to stay and hang out and people are more friendly in Davao compared to Manila/Cebu. Have fun.....

I am from Davao City :)... It's a good place!.. No worries on going out at night :)... NO SMOKING IN PUBLIC PLACES THOUGH :)... Try SAMAL ISLAND HUTS, it's bed and breakfast, the owner is belgian and wife is filipina, they are very accomodating :)

Timeline

I've made about 10 trips there in the last 7 years. Great city, very laid back, super peaceful, The mayor runs the city with a tight fist and it is the safest large city I have been in compared to Cebu or Manila. You don't have to worry about taxi's driver trying to rip you off, and as I said the mayor doesn't not tolerate crime in his city.

Places to party at night is go to MTS (Matina Town Square) open air outside food and bands, and then a little later at night close the night down at V-Place https://www.facebook.com/vplace.davao1.

Beaches are ok in Davao area, You can take a ferry to Samal Island about 15 peso and spend the day at Samal, I like the waterfalls there, They are called Hagimat Falls http://samalbeaches.com/index.php/Resort-in-Samal-Island/Beach/Resort/Hagimit-Falls.html.

I stay off JP Laurel Drive at hotel called Regencyhttp://www.regencyinndavao.com/ (about 15 minutes from airport in the heart of downtown) runs 1400 peso per night and they have king size beds and get the rooms with Mitusubishi air con they are quiet. IF you stay there you are a 1 minute walk from JP Laurel Ave and they have Gmall there and up the road and walking distance is Victorian Mall and then Abrezza Mall and SM Mall , the last two are fairly new.

Overall it's a fun place to stay and hang out and people are more friendly in Davao compared to Manila/Cebu. Have fun.....

Vol,

Thank you very much for your input, I'll share this with my wife.

Regards

Timeline

I am from Davao City :)... It's a good place!.. No worries on going out at night :)... NO SMOKING IN PUBLIC PLACES THOUGH :)... Try SAMAL ISLAND HUTS, it's bed and breakfast, the owner is belgian and wife is filipina, they are very accomodating :)

Hi RyanFritzie,

Thanks for responding, good to know that you feel it's safe. I don't feel the same way about Cagayan de Oro. I will research Samal Island. Are the best hotels in the city proper or can you suggest one/s that are little more westernized? We'll only stay for 3-5 days as we got a promo fare there.

Regards.

We were in Davao in June and July. As was said earlier, the city is known for being very safe. We can't tell you anything about the nightlife, party scene, or Samal Island. We're more into sight seeing and just taking pictures.

We've been to Eden Nature Park a couple of times. We definitely enjoyed it. We stayed overnight once but that ended up being a bad idea since it rained the whole time. But when we went on a day trip in nice weather, it was perfect.

We also like stopping by Peoples Park. Not much to do but we just like the scenery.

Hello :).. You can check Microtel Inn davao, It's near SM Lanang and Near the wharf where you can take the ferry to go to Samal Islands.. Samal Island has lots of beach resorts :)

Samal Island Huts are really nice. The owner, Peter, is very nice and accommodating. It is a small quiet place with only 5 different rooms and they will let you use their motor bikes. http://www.samalislandhuts.ph/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes go to Samal Island - stayed a couple of times at Paradise Resort, friendly, good food and clean. I also stayed at Pearl Farm - I did not like it everyone just had their hand out for a tip. Last time I stayed at Paradise Resort, they had a deal, where if you stayed 4 days you could do any of the "extras" for free, like banana boat, and snorkeling, billiards on the beach etc... Love the place.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.