5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone, I am looking for info to help a friend. they are starting their visa journey and I have refered them to this site for help but I am looking for an online support group for them. I joined one with other US citizens married or dating Nigerians, to get insight into cultural differences. I am looking for a similar group for my freind. His partner is from Romania. Any suggestions would help, I have tried searching and have come up empty handed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

When I first came here, I found that I didn't like the food, but I liked the people better :goofy:

I don't know about any support groups, I've never expressly sought out my own countrymen. But I'm from there, and I've been here for a really long time (about a third of my life now), so if they/he/she want to talk to me, they be welcome to :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

When I first came here, I found that I didn't like the food, but I liked the people better :goofy:

I don't know about any support groups, I've never expressly sought out my own countrymen. But I'm from there, and I've been here for a really long time (about a third of my life now), so if they/he/she want to talk to me, they be welcome to :)

Haha, hi there, petitioner here (Me and wife both use the same VJ :)

This quote made me laugh hard "I found that I didn't like the food.."

This statement, I hear it about 1 out of every 3 times I try to cook something from back home for my wife here. As you know, beef isn't as popular here as Pork or Chicken, so while she will eat a beef steaks, it's definitely not on her top 10 to say the least. She was not a fan of Pasta with Alfredo Sauce and Shrimp (Although she said she liked the sauce without the pasta or shrimp if that counts) and I tried making Sloppy Joes and i'm not sure what kind of response she was trying to give me when she tasted it, and the chances of me ever taking her on a date to a Chinese restaurant back home are about -7,432%.

Foods I've cooked I know she'll love back home in the past year :

Hamburgers (Carne Tocata Amestec cu Porc si Vita)

Tacos (Same, porc si vita mix)

I'm just bracing myself for having to buy more pork when we get home, it's not only something we do not eat as often as Romanian's, but its quite a bit more expensive compared to beef or chicken.

Thanks for the smile :)

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

All the talk about food, I am missing Romania and my fiance. I cannot wait for December when I back Romania.

I hope she will like the food here in the states. There are no Romanian restaurants where I live. I cannot get mici, tripe soup, stuff cabbage, etc.

Hope she will like it here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

All the talk about food, I am missing Romania and my fiance. I cannot wait for December when I back Romania.

I hope she will like the food here in the states. There are no Romanian restaurants where I live. I cannot get mici, tripe soup, stuff cabbage, etc.

Hope she will like it here.

Hahaha, my husband has found a liking for mici, he always asks for them when we're over there. And he's able to ask for food he likes or order at restaurants in Romanian too. I find it really cute! :wub:

Yeah, Romanian/European restaurants are pretty rare here, but don't worry, she should get over it quickly enough. The US has a lot to offer, and you CAN get good food here (albeit it is more pricey and harder to find). Plus, cooking at home is more fun and results in tasty meals, we've found.

@AnnaMaria (Fred) - You're welcome, I am always glad to amuse :) As for chicken/pork/beef, yes I noticed this too, but I don't usually like chicken or pork that much (unless expertly prepared... by my mom). And I love me some delicious steak or a well-crafted burger! I'm just perplexed that these items are not as common as I expected. I mean, how is it that not EVERY burger place in the US has amazing burgers? This IS the land of burgers, is it not? But I digress...

Bottom line: Do not worry, we adapt :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.