doncalo

Finger Prints?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My Fiancee and I are currently waiting for Packet 3 and in the mean time we are trying to get all the documentation together. So far this site has been extremely helpful in determining what is required.

However I had a question regarding Finger Printing. I have read a few post stating that it takes awhile to get the background clearance from the FBI after the finger prints have been submitted. I was just curious as to when that happens? Is it prior to the packet 3 or was I reading information from the wrong forum?

I also found a link the US consulate for Juarez website that said finger printing was no longer being done so I am really confused now...

My Fiancee and I are not worried about the finger printing but we just want to be prepared so if anyone knows when the finger printing takes place please let me know.. Here is the link I found:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/wwwhivfg.html

My Fiancee and I are currently waiting for Packet 3 and in the mean time we are trying to get all the documentation together. So far this site has been extremely helpful in determining what is required.

However I had a question regarding Finger Printing. I have read a few post stating that it takes awhile to get the background clearance from the FBI after the finger prints have been submitted. I was just curious as to when that happens? Is it prior to the packet 3 or was I reading information from the wrong forum?

I also found a link the US consulate for Juarez website that said finger printing was no longer being done so I am really confused now...

My Fiancee and I are not worried about the finger printing but we just want to be prepared so if anyone knows when the finger printing takes place please let me know.. Here is the link I found:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/wwwhivfg.html

Fingerprints are taken at the interview. There is no way to know if you're required to submit to fingerprint until the interview. Here is a FAM entry on it:

9 FAM 42.67 N6.1 Fingerprint Requirement

(CT:VISA-722; 03-10-2005)

a. The statutory requirements for general fingerprinting in connection with the issuance of a visa have been repealed. However, an applicant must be fingerprinted if:

(1) A check of the FBI's NCIC-III database reveals a namecheck hit as the FBI will only provide a summary of the applicant's record after a fingerprint comparison; or

(2) The consular officer determines that the applicant should be fingerprinted for reasons of identification or investigation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Fingerprints are taken at the interview in most if not all Embassys.

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There are different kinds of fingerprints you can have taken at the interview in Juarez.

Everyone has fingerprints of both index fingers taken at the interview when the consul officer calls you up for the questioning portion of the interview. Very painless, it's a touchpad that glows red which you just press your index finger against when told and the consul captures your print. As far as I could tell and have heard, everyone gets these. These are free.

If there was a hit on your name when it went through the security name check, you will get another kind of fingerprints taken. Not everyone gets these, but many do because of the commonality of last names in Mexico (and I think because of the percentage of Mexicans in the US illegally) If you are lucky and the consul officer is feeling generous, you can have these fingerprints taken electronically which means the results should be back that same day or the next work day. If you're told you're being sent for fingerprinting, ASK for the electronic prints. I did for my husband, and we think it saved us a 2nd trip to Juarez and many months of waiting. If you have to file a waiver, generally you do not get the option of the electronic prints. Instead they have a 2nd kind which is with the good old ink pad and turns your fingers black for a long time. These are sent off and people will have to return appointment months later. Either of these cost $85 USD plus some (this was the price a year ago, it may have changed now)

There is yet another kind of prints that are pretty common at Juarez but most people have never heard of. I hadn't before we had to go get them for my husband. These prints are taken after the index scan and the electronic prints. They call them the bridge prints, and they have to be taken at the actual border between Juarez and El Paso. I don't know why they are needed but we were told there is a different print database there which has to be checked. These are free but you have to pay between $25 -$40 for the cab ride. Walking is dangerous because there are people waiting on the bridge who may try to steal your papers (and it looked like it was true when we passed them in the cab)

The key is not to freak out if you have to have the prints. Tell the truth, grit your teeth (if you have to) and smile, and just trust that the prints will show that what you're saying is true. It worked for my husband and I, as his K3 visa was approved after 2 very long days of stress and worry at the consulate.

Hope this helps!

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.