AbuA

What country of birth do I put in passport application

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Alamro, just put Jordan. I mean, it's just a means to an end, right? It doesn't make you any less Palestinian at the end of the day. It's like the oath ceremony, when you have to disavow any association with any other land. I have a British friend that woun't become a U.S. citizen because he point blank refuses to speak the words necessitated in the swearing of the oath. Why?? Is it going to make him any less British?? Is it going to erase his birth and upbringing? Is it bollocks! He'll always be a Brit in his heart just like you'll always be a Palestinian - there's no "betrayal" issue here if that's what you're worried about. ;-)

I agree. It is really not a matter of betrayal or anything. In fact, I kinda prefer Jordan but I don't have a Jordanian birth certificate. USCIS insisted on putting Jordan on the naturalization certificate because congress doesn't allow to have neither Palestine nor West Bank.

everyone I know that was born in Palestine and has a US passport had to put place of birth as Jordan. I really wish this could be changed. people just don't understand

meet Sept 2008 in Chicago
He left back to Palestine Aug 2010
I went to Palestine May 30,2012
6/13/2012 Married in Palestine
7/04/2012 arrived back in Chicago
7/25/2012 mailed in I-130
7/26/2012 NOA 1 arrived. to be serviced in California
3/3/2013 our baby was born !!!!

6/17/2013 Case transferred to Local city

11/13/2013 interview at Chicago

1/27/2014 RFE DNA test

3/7/2014 RFE completed and mailed in

5/12/2014 **I-130 APPROVED** !! 652 days

6/3/2014 NVC received case

7/11/2014 choice of agent signed

7/19/2014 pay AOS bill, send aos packet

7/22/2014 NVC received AOS papers

8/20/2014 send IV packet

8/25/2014 NVC received IV papers

8/27/2014 pay IV bill

9/9/2014 DS-260 completed

9/15/2014 AOS checklist

9/24/2014 NVC scanned aos

10/29/2014 "paid" turned to "n/a"

10/31/2014 called NVC and confirmed case complete

11/4/2014 email with interview scheduled

12/15/2014 INTERVIEW

02/20/2015 I-601 waiver received @ Nebraska

07/14/2015 I-601 waiver APPROVED

8/10/2015 ceac changed from refused to ready

8/12/2015 visa was issued !!!!!!

8/25/2015 POE Chicago, no questions asked about waiver

Alamro, just put Jordan. I mean, it's just a means to an end, right? It doesn't make you any less Palestinian at the end of the day. It's like the oath ceremony, when you have to disavow any association with any other land. I have a British friend that woun't become a U.S. citizen because he point blank refuses to speak the words necessitated in the swearing of the oath. Why?? Is it going to make him any less British?? Is it going to erase his birth and upbringing? Is it bollocks! He'll always be a Brit in his heart just like you'll always be a Palestinian - there's no "betrayal" issue here if that's what you're worried about. ;-)

That's the very reason I won't become a US citizen, although I was eligible 4 years ago. If it's how you reconcile self with identity that's the way it is. For others, the compromise doesn't bother them, for some of us it does.

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It seems to make sense to just put city as a place of birth which will be in west bank according to the state department guidelines.. However, this will create conflict between the naturalization certificate which says Jordan. Question is, once a US citizen, would I ever need to show my Palestinian certificate down there road?

Thanks again.

There are some instances where you will need to show a birth certificate (not necessarily immigration related).

There are almost none where you will have to show a naturalization certificate after you have a passport.

I would be more worried about my passport not matching my birth certificate than not matching my naturalization certificate.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Either way, I wouldn't expect a problem. A person born in Zagreb in 1965 and naturalized in 1985 would have his place of birth listed as Yugoslavia on both his birth certificate and his naturalization certificate. But if he gets a US passport today, it'll say Croatia. It's up to the State Department to determine where his city of birth is according to their guidelines. In fact, I'm not even sure if they'll let you put down Jordan, since that is not where your city of birth is based on their rules, but you can try if you feel it will make things easier.

Remember, as someone else already said, that USCIS is in a different department and they have different rules. Just because they couldn't put West Bank or city of birth on your certificate doesn't mean anything. Just decide which one you prefer.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I received my passport today and it has PALESTINE as country of birth. Amazing!

Haha! So much for all that stuff about state department regulations!

Congratulations on your new passport.

Filed: Timeline

I agree with this poster Alamro. If I had to put in a country as my place of birth which I may never wanted to, when it comes to the end point, do I want to get my US citizenship and have it as less haste as possible...screw that, I would put that country in. No one really will be looking at your passport/certificate on a daily basis and start judging you why you have Jordan there while you're not even from Jordan and so on. Life goes on. You'll use your passport probably a few times a year to travel (if you travel a bit more each year) other than that you'll be working at a local place in the US where the closes they'll ask you for will be your driver's license/state identification card, and maybe your SSN if applicable. So, I would say shove it, swallow and just write in Jordan. Life goes on...yours will too. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I understand and sympathise with your conundrum on this issue, but just this time, I would set aside my justifiably ideological pride and indicate Jordan as a previous response suggested.

Good luck!

I sincerely hope the person understands what you just are trying to communicate. I can understand why the VJer wants Palestine as her place of birth and not Jordan which was chosen by USCIS; it is not the correct birthplace.

I don't think it is pride why the VJer wants it to be Palestine; however, if the USCIS refused to put it in as the place of birth, I would suggest that the VJer does the same in order to have similar information in the US records.

I received my passport today and it has PALESTINE as country of birth. Amazing!

Awesome!

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Alamro, I am having the same issue. What steps did you actually do to get it to say Palestine on your passport?

Maybe the OP will come back and answer, but if I remember correctly, he just wrote Palestine as the country of birth on the application and that's what they put on the passport. If you look at the State Department instructions to passport issuing officers (earlier in this thread) you'll see that this isn't what should have happened according to the guidelines, but it worked out for the OP. If you were born in Palestine post-1948, your passport should say Gaza, West Bank, Jerusalem, or Israel according to the rules. You can also choose to have your city of birth listed instead (I assume you'd have to attach a note to do this, but I'm not sure). Or you could just do what the OP did and try your luck. Remember that USCIS rules are more restrictive than DOS rules, so your naturalization certificate is unlikely to say Palestine.

Good luck!

Filed: Other Timeline

Alamro, I am having the same issue. What steps did you actually do to get it to say Palestine on your passport?

I simply put Palestine following State Department regulations. I had to include my birth certificate. It appears that their system runs independently from USCIS so having Jordan on the certificate of naturalization will have no impact what goes on the passport since you have to submit your birth certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.