G&Mhk

221(g) related to domicile

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

After my wife's interview last week here in HK, we got the blue slip 221(g) with 2 missing things. The one was my stupid mistake so I can get that. The other thing was that they wanted a letter from my employer stating that I was going to the US office.

Well in the nearly 15 months since I started this process with the 1-130, I think the plans have changed a bit. I put down that i would eventually be transferred to the US office but I don't think that's going to happen, at least not in the way I assumed.

So they asked for this proof of transfer in relation to domicile (my wife was given the "proof of domicile" handout to give to me).

If the company doesn't give me the exact transfer I assumed I was getting more than a year ago and I don't have the letter. Should I just begin assembling proof of domicile? I have paid my taxes, used my bank and credit card accounts, have loans from US credit unions, I've voted. We have a place to live with my parents. My mom is the co-sponsor.

I don't understand why proving domicile is such an issue for someone in my situation AND why didn't they ask these questions a year or so ago when I turned in the I-130!?!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Two unanswered duplicate threads have been removed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The reason it's important is that family based immigration is about family reunification. What would the reason be to give your wife a green card to live in the US if you can not prove that you intend to live with her? Its part of the requirement to get her a visa, so you simply have to comply.

Proff is required at the interview. You stated that your plans have changed, so why would they rely on old info? They want current info. That is how the system works, you need to update your info as your situation changes.

The US Embassy is simply asking that you comply with US laws.

You want the visa from them. In return, they want current proof of a US domicile or intent to reestablish one.

There is no use trying to reason out how you think the system should work. You need to just comply to get what you want.

You want the visa from them. In return, they want current proof of a US domicile or intent to reestablish one.

There is no use trying to reason out how you think the system should work. You need to just comply to get what you want.

Yes, I understand that and I do want to comply. I was just expressing shock that somehow they couldn't figure out my domicile from the permanent US address I used on all of my documents or my 3 years of taxes from that address and so on.

I really sort of assumed that domicile wouldn't be an issue since they had seem all those things referring to my permanent US address already.

So now I'm debating how long to wait for my employers or whether I should just jump ahead and write the consulate and explain my situation has changed and try to show domicile directly.

If I get a letter from my mother stating that we'll be living with them will I need that letter notarized?

Yes, I understand that and I do want to comply. I was just expressing shock that somehow they couldn't figure out my domicile from the permanent US address I used on all of my documents or my 3 years of taxes from that address and so on.

I really sort of assumed that domicile wouldn't be an issue since they had seem all those things referring to my permanent US address already.

So now I'm debating how long to wait for my employers or whether I should just jump ahead and write the consulate and explain my situation has changed and try to show domicile directly.

If I get a letter from my mother stating that we'll be living with them will I need that letter notarized?

Let me add that in my 864 letter I said the things I had maintained at home (bank accounts, loans, voting, etc.)

If now is the time that I have to prove domicile? What do I need beyond what I can submit (below)? Is it an impossible task? I do not want to go home first, obviously.

U.S. bank statements to show transfers from here to there and that I'm using the accounts

U.S. credit card statements

U.S. loan from credit union there

proof of voter registration

I sold my car so no car stuff

Current driver's license

Letter from my mom that we will be living with them (at same address as before I left the U.S. -- same address as on bills above).

Proof that I have been applying for jobs there.

What else? i cannot believe that there's a possibility that I'll have to go home first. I stayed here precisely to stay with my wife after we got married. That was the point.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.