simistar

IN A RUSH - does anyone know California requirements for bringing a cat from Canada??

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We HAVE used petsafe going to Nicaragua....and I used them again on the way back to USA. On the way there petafe handled everything..They were the last items loaded--we saw that as the Petsafe van dropped them off...and they were the 1st items off in houston..as we saw the petsafe van pick them up. They were excellent. I will be using them again when I head to Ecuador. And our animals are like our kids, so they are very well taken care of. Our cats fly in cabin.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense. It's just that the Petsafe program's quality has changed in recent years as United acquired more airlines. Everyone used to agree that it was an amazing program, but the stories for the past 2-3 years have been less positive, so it's a good idea to double check each waypoint, just to be sure. I wasn't just stating it for your purposes, but for the purposes of anyone needing to transport a pet. Last year, a woman watched her animal sit on the hot tarmac for ages while she was stuck in the plane unable to escape to go rescue her dog, who later died, while using the Petsafe program, for example. There are also reports of them refusing to report animal deaths to the USDA as required because the animals died later and not during actual transit, but were delivered so ill from heat exhaustion and dehydration that the animals died in a veterinary hospital later on.

Petsafe used to be amazing, but reports of declining quality in the program mean that I urge anyone planning to use them in future to do their due diligence to avoid tragedies. I do not doubt in the slightest that your animals are like your children. The fact that you knew Petsafe existed tells me that. I just don't want to see anyone lose their beloved family member because of the decline of a previously amazing program, so calling the airports ahead of time to ensure things like the Petsafe van's AC being operational at their specific location is one way to try and prevent this. I know I'd be heartbroken if I lost my Peter and I would never want you to lose your furry family members. If something DID happen to your animals and I hadn't said anything about the apparent decline of the program, then I would forever feel guilty.

I wish your whole family the safest and most comfortable of travels and hope that everything goes as well for you now as it has in the past, with all my heart.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

TY for your concern...truly (no sarcasm) I read those reviews prior to 2011 when we flew to Nicaragua.....But my 1st hand experience with them has been excellent. Plus I have talked with many others that have used them and they have had no issues. I have a bit larger network to get info from, so very happy to continue to use petsafe. There are other more private options available...

But more importantly, I hope the cats air travels go well today.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just don't fly air Canada with your dogs.

Oi. What a snafu that was. (Years ago, when mine was still young....after that decided I wouldn't fly her ever again, just too stressful on her...luckily she's good in the car so we've had some fun road trips :)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

I think it was Air Canada that made the news last yr....Think it was in California somewhere----someone opened the cage and the dog got out and escaped----not a happy ending, so will leave it at that.

My two dogs are not fans of car rides--I just can't win,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

PHEW!

BIG sigh of relief - our big fat cat made it through!:-)

No rabies shot and no certificate of health...

I haven't been able to talk too much with my husband (the one who took the flight with the cat) - but I don't even think a vet looked at the cat? I will double check this and post again.

He did say they made him take the cat out to put the bag through the xray machine thingy...this is NOT a friendly cat and super high strung, so he suggested he be allowed to take the cat out in a room, so they let him do that so the cat wouldn't run away.

He had to be there 1/2 hour before usual for catching his flight.

We gave our cat some zilcene (basically the same thing that's in turkey that makes us sleepy) that the vet recommended...she said sometimes it MIGHT make a cat a bit calmer like after a human drinks a glass of milk at night:-) OR it may not work at all... I think it did calm him a BIT...also used something called ThunderSpray (from petsmart) that I just sprayed in the carrier right before putting the cat in...it's like aromatherapy to calm cats:-) NOt sure if that did anything:-)

And just to clarify, for anyone wondering, this was a cat being brought from Canada (Vancouver) to California.

Now we just have one more cat to go! Yikes.

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Timeline

No--a vet won't check it over--well never has in our case....glad it worked out.

Timeline

Yay! A vet never checked out our cats, I've never heard of them doing that.

The treats we had bought from PetsMart doped up our cats so well that we didn't have any issues pulling them out when their carriers had to be x-rayed. They were definitely anxious, but they were clinging to us like scared children rather than mortified cats, haha. The TSC agent on the other side of the scanner was super sweet and helped us get them back into their carriers as well :)

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

The stuff we used is called Zylkene (wrong spelling before) and is quite benign. I was too worried our cat would have an adverse reaction to any doping meds in the air. Zylkene is essentially just tryptophan - the same amino acid found in turkey that makes us sleepy after Christmas
dinner:-) The spray we used is a pheromone.

I had read somewhere from someone that a vet checks out the pets to make sure they look healthy and if they don't the pet can be quarantined. But I guess not! yay:-)

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.