bcc024

I-134 Affidavit Questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. I'm preparing my fiance's I-134 for her interview. Trying to double check a few things:

1. it says on the FAQ sheet that a "bank officer" has to write indicating when I opened my account, how many deposits I've made in the last year, and total deposits. Do I really need this, or would simply a series of Bank Statements from the last year suffice?

2. Income requirement: I will be a full time graduate student next year, only showing about 8,000$ worth of salary from a graduate assistantship stipend. Am I right in understanding: federal poverty rate for 2 is 15,700. I then need to show FIVE TIMES 7,700$ (the difference between the poverty level and my salary) of assets? I have closer to 10 times that amount. Will I have any trouble, or do you think a co-sponsor is required?

3. Any other suggestions for those who have gone through this? For instance, I don't have a copy of the i-129 fort my fiance to take with her. Is this a problem?

THANKS!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

HI there. I have already gone through the K1 / Green Card / US Citizenship with my ex so my comments are based on my limited history and my interpretation of the rules.

1. The directions on the Federal form for the I-134 Affidavit of Support is very explicit with the requirement for the letter from a bank officer with all the details. Why risk getting your decision delayed if you don't have the correct paperwork (remember this is the Government we are talking about here)? The intent of the letter is to show you have a steady source of income and some savings so you can support your fiance. The people looking at your paperwork want the facts in black and white, from a source that is independent from you, and have no desire to take out a calculator and work on a document. I would recommend getting the bank statement. Just go to the bank and have the manager do it for you while you wait. Only takes 20 minutes or so at the bank.

2. The key criteria here is having income at least 125% of the poverty level so for you, it means showing you have $19,625 in annual income. Assets are nice but they do not make or break this criteria, just income. You will not meet this requirements with your grad student income so you will need a co-sponsor.

3. You not having a copy of the I-129 is not a deal breaker, IMHO. The intent of the copy is that if the original was lost, you could show that you sent all the originals to the Centers (you did send it trackable, right?) and provide a copy of the packet. Also, same thing if your packet was lost to your fiance, you could send them another one. I would recommend that you have your fiance scan in all the paperwork and keep two copies of that or email the scan to them and you. The only bit of advice I can give you is patience patience patience. Your turn will come up.

Good luck in your journey because it is worth it in the end.

thank you for your response. a question on the income, though. you say "a key to the criteria is having 125% of the poverty level," but that is not what the website says. i understand it to say if you don't make the poverty level in salary, you have to show 125% of the difference in assets. i have that and more in savings.

if this were not the case, why would they state this? these are the tricky things that bother me about the process....it says one thing, then goes onto say BUT.....

Hello. I'm preparing my fiance's I-134 for her interview. Trying to double check a few things:

1. it says on the FAQ sheet that a "bank officer" has to write indicating when I opened my account, how many deposits I've made in the last year, and total deposits. Do I really need this, or would simply a series of Bank Statements from the last year suffice?

2. Income requirement: I will be a full time graduate student next year, only showing about 8,000$ worth of salary from a graduate assistantship stipend. Am I right in understanding: federal poverty rate for 2 is 15,700. I then need to show FIVE TIMES 7,700$ (the difference between the poverty level and my salary) of assets? I have closer to 10 times that amount. Will I have any trouble, or do you think a co-sponsor is required?

3. Any other suggestions for those who have gone through this? For instance, I don't have a copy of the i-129 fort my fiance to take with her. Is this a problem?

THANKS!!!!

1. Agree with Vutran's advice. However, it still depends on the embassy and CO's discretion if whatever you submitted would be acceptable and sufficient.

2. Actually, the poverty guideline for a household of 2 is currently $19,662, unless you're from Hawaii or Alaska (http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf). You can use a co-sponsor if annual gross income is insufficient. Again, this highly depends on the consulate where your fiancee will be interviewed at, whether or not they will accept co-sponsors. Check the embassy reviews linked in the blue header atop any VJ page to see if they accept co-sponsors.

3. The consulate reviews will give you a good idea on how embassy interviews are done in each country. A copy of the I-129f is not necessary, but it would be nice for your fiancee to know the information you have written and submitted with it, like for example, the details of how you two met, as this is typically asked in an embassy interview. And of course, always follow the embassy interview instructions for the required documents which are specific to your fiancee's country.

Btw, when you have a chance, :time: and profile, so people who are trying to help can give you more definitive response to your concerns.

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

thank you for your response. a question on the income, though. you say "a key to the criteria is having 125% of the poverty level," but that is not what the website says. i understand it to say if you don't make the poverty level in salary, you have to show 125% of the difference in assets. i have that and more in savings.

if this were not the case, why would they state this? these are the tricky things that bother me about the process....it says one thing, then goes onto say BUT.....

It is indeed tricky and sticky. But as you know already, approval or refusal of a visa is always up to the consul's discretion, which again always relies on the embassy's criteria. Their goal is to make sure that an applicant won't be a public charge once they arrive in US. And to establish that, they have to see the petitioner's ability to sustain the beneficiary (and everyone else included in the petition). In your case, they have to make sure you (and your co-sponsor, if permitted) are capable of doing so.

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

will do (the timeline)! thanks for all the responses. and maybe i'm thick, but i still am unclear the question i asked was answered....

IF my income is 10,000.....AND poverty level is 20,000$.....that means I need to have 50,000$ in savings? (i need to show I have 10,000$ per year for the five year visa to supplement my 10,000$ salary....)

Am I off here? How did I get this notion?

Thanks again!

will do (the timeline)! thanks for all the responses. and maybe i'm thick, but i still am unclear the question i asked was answered....

IF my income is 10,000.....AND poverty level is 20,000$.....that means I need to have 50,000$ in savings? (i need to show I have 10,000$ per year for the five year visa to supplement my 10,000$ salary....)

Am I off here? How did I get this notion?

Thanks again!

You will only need liquid assets or savings which equates to 3x of whatever is lacking from your gross income. 5x applies to sponsors that are not immediate relatives of the beneficiary. You fiancee is considered a spouse [-to-be]. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-series-forms-faqs.html

But again, you really have to check with the embassy where your fiancee will be interviewed at. Some consulates don't accept assets/ savings and even co-sponsors at all.

Which country is your fiancee from? Maybe somebody here who have gone through that consulate may be able to give you more definite answers.

Edited by sweet cakes

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

Where is your fiance from? In Vancouver (Canada) we just provided printed off bank statements, employer letter and printed off pay stubs and it was fine, but different consulates may request different things (W2s, income tax transcripts, etc). As someone suggested, reading through embassy reviews and lurking on regional forums is really helpful! Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.