phem0r

DVLA Drivers report?

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever heard of a DVLA drivers report? My understanding from another Englishman that emigrated to America is that he contacted the DVLA in the UK to get his drivers report which he took with him to America and some car insurers accepted this as proof that he wasn't a 'new' driver

Anyone heard of this DVLA drivers report, i've done some googling but nothing useful has come up so it might be called something different now as it was 2 years ago i heard about this..

Ta

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291862/D888_260214.pdf

Is that what you mean?

Wish I'd known about this before I moved over here!

This looks like it could be useful! Thanks for posting.

English girl . American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

my rambling blog: cowboysgirlfriend.com

20 May 2014: Filed our I129f

10 September 2014: Visa in hand!

8 January 2015: Filed for AoS (EAD & AP)

15 January 2015: NOA1

5 February 2015: Biometrics

9 February 2015: RFE

10 February 2015: Evidence filed

19 February 2015: USCIS acknowledged evidence received

3 March 2015: EAD and AP approved! Card ordered!

6 March 2015: USCIS updated: ready for interview scheduling

28 September 2015: Interview - APPROVED!

Has anyone here ever heard of a DVLA drivers report? My understanding from another Englishman that emigrated to America is that he contacted the DVLA in the UK to get his drivers report which he took with him to America and some car insurers accepted this as proof that he wasn't a 'new' driver

Anyone heard of this DVLA drivers report, i've done some googling but nothing useful has come up so it might be called something different now as it was 2 years ago i heard about this..

Ta

Never needed any such thing. Best to get the fiancé to call the insurance agency and ask if they require anything special to add you to the policy. I gave my husband's name and driver license number to State Farm and that was it. No additional cost per month for us because he was older than the age where they charge extra for wreckless male drivers. (That was just a chuckle...not evaluating anybody's driving skills.)

Prior to EAD which allowed him a license, he drove on his UK license. Auto insurance is different in the US and something to get your head around. The CAR is insured, not the named driver. If I let my neighbor (or visiting fiancé) drive my car, I do not have to list their name on the policy. If they have a wreck, my car is still insured as long as I gave them permission to drive it. If someone is going to be a regular driver of the car (like a new spouse) then they want to add their name as a driver. The cost of the insurance is based on the car, not how many people will drive it.

Find out how it works in your state and with your insurance agency. Insurance is a state regulated thing.

Edit to add: I know it does indeed work if someone not on your policy wrecks your car. My daughter's boyfriend wrecked her car when she was at university and I was still insuring her car. Insurance paid for the repairs. All they asked me was "do we need to add "Sam" to the policy as a regular driver?" I said "no".

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291862/D888_260214.pdf

Is that what you mean?

Wish I'd known about this before I moved over here!

That looks like it may be the one, thank you. I've no idea if it will in fact make a difference but it's free to get a copy so why not :)

Never needed any such thing. Best to get the fiancé to call the insurance agency and ask if they require anything special to add you to the policy. I gave my husband's name and driver license number to State Farm and that was it. No additional cost per month for us because he was older than the age where they charge extra for wreckless male drivers. (That was just a chuckle...not evaluating anybody's driving skills.)

Prior to EAD which allowed him a license, he drove on his UK license. Auto insurance is different in the US and something to get your head around. The CAR is insured, not the named driver. If I let my neighbor (or visiting fiancé) drive my car, I do not have to list their name on the policy. If they have a wreck, my car is still insured as long as I gave them permission to drive it. If someone is going to be a regular driver of the car (like a new spouse) then they want to add their name as a driver. The cost of the insurance is based on the car, not how many people will drive it.

Find out how it works in your state and with your insurance agency. Insurance is a state regulated thing.

Edit to add: I know it does indeed work if someone not on your policy wrecks your car. My daughter's boyfriend wrecked her car when she was at university and I was still insuring her car. Insurance paid for the repairs. All they asked me was "do we need to add "Sam" to the policy as a regular driver?" I said "no".

Nick-Nick, you are once again an outstanding help, thank you!

I was discussing with my fiancee just last night about how the US insurance works as i believe it was the car that was insured and not the driver like it is in the UK. We weren't sure if i need to be a named driver either, which you've cleared up too (dependant on PA rules).

Do US insurers not charge more to insure the car if you are 16 and just started driving for instance? I had heard that immigrants would be treated as a 'new' driver and thus assumed you'd be charged more to insure said car but by the sounds of it that isn't true..

Do US insurers not charge more to insure the car if you are 16 and just started driving for instance? I had heard that immigrants would be treated as a 'new' driver and thus assumed you'd be charged more to insure said car but by the sounds of it that isn't true..

I only know how it works in Texas and really can't speak for PA, nor do I know if there are vast differences. When I had teenagers, I paid a higher premium until they (female) turned 21. And the premium was applied to your most expensive vehicle only. For people with sons, it was even more and until age 25. Many did not even put their sons on the family policy, but rather bought the boy a junker and insured him separately with only the required coverage, not the super deluxe plan. I believe that higher premium Is based on accident demographics by age and nothing to do with driving experience. Also our rates are based on where you live. In Harris County Texas (Houston) you will pay more than in some rural farm town in the sticks because of higher incidence of car theft and accidents in this crazy traffic.

Each insurance company can offer incentives to get you to choose them. I used to provide a straight A report card for my daughters and get a slight discount from State Farm. Having certain alarms gave a little discount in the days when all cars didn't come equipped with such. Carpooling to work gave us a discount at one point. I got a multi-car discount when we insured four cars. It seems like Allstate ads say something about no accident discounts. Those things come and go...kinda like the special offers from mobile phone carriers.

Maybe this has given you some ideas of what to ask about when getting specific with your insurer in PA. I don't use a 1-800 online insurer or an independent that basically brokers with many companies to find you a good rate. I have a real person who sits in an office in my town, sells only State Farm, and knows me and answers my questions. It may be way different for other people.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thank Nich, that's some very useful information and it gives me plenty to discuss with said insurer when i get to PA

Filed: Timeline

That looks like it may be the one, thank you. I've no idea if it will in fact make a difference but it's free to get a copy so why not :)

Nick-Nick, you are once again an outstanding help, thank you!

I was discussing with my fiancee just last night about how the US insurance works as i believe it was the car that was insured and not the driver like it is in the UK. We weren't sure if i need to be a named driver either, which you've cleared up too (dependant on PA rules).

Can only tell you my experience here in Virginia

I never ever drove in the UK.

When i emigrated, my Husband taught me here, on the streets of Virginia xD wrong side of the road an all that.

Passed drivers test in August 2013. I don't get penalized on my car insurance for being a new driver. Although i'm also not 16 :P

The only thing i recall was, my learners permit was linked to the date on my green card.

My two year Green card was expiring at the end of the Month that i passed. Due to there being less than 30 days before expiry.

The Lady at the DVLA had to make a call to Richmond for clearance to issue a drivers license to me.

So i have made one trip back to the DVLA since then.

To show my new 10 year Green card and get my drivers license, expiry date extended.

By the way, up until i passed my test, i learned to drive in my Husbands car.

Car insurance cost didn't change from what he was already paying. Once i passed my test, my Husband bought himself another car and i continued to drive the car i learned to drive in. It was only then (when we owned two cars) that our car insurance cost changed.

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-20

Packet 3 Received : 2010-02-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-20

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Booked into Norman Bates Hotel: 2010-07-29

Medical : 2010-07-29 (4 letters issued >.<)

Interview Date : 2010-07-30 (pending medical results)

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

US Entry (Dulles) : 2011-2-27 Hot Tomales time <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.