ricky and elaine

Canadian $-US Exchange-Transfer

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for exchange and transferring to the US. Does anyone know if you need any documentation for the sale of a principal residence in Canada...so its not taxable. My bank is charging horrible fees to exchange and transfer to my account in the US.

Apr 11/13...married in Las Vegas
Apr 18/13...filed 1-130
Apr 22/13...received notification Noa1

Nov 26/13...218 days transferred from NBC to CSC

Dec 30/13..Notification of approval NOA2

Jan 9/14....Received by NVC

Feb 10/14...Obtained Case#, IIN,BIN#'s

Feb 10/14...sent OPTIN email..received

Feb 15/14...Confirmation for DS261

Feb 20/14...AOS shows PAID

Feb 20/14...Received Document Cover sheet (bar coded)

Feb 28/14.. received OPTIN approval

Feb 28/14...emailed OAS package

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

Apr 14/14 Case Complete NVC

Apr 17/14 Received instructions for appt

Apr 21/14 Case sent electronically to Montreal.

May 30/14 appt in Montreal

May 30/14 APPROVED!!! YIPPEE

June 4/14 Passport with Visa in Hand! (quick eh)
Aug 20/14 POE Detroit Bridge

Aug 26/14 received SSN (card)

May 23/16 Filed 1-751 (California)

Nov 26/16 751 Approved 10 yr card on way.

N400

Dec 27/17   Mailed application

Dec 29/18   Priority Date

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Feb 9/19    N400 Interview in Las Vegas- Approved!!

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

Mar 8/19   I'm a citizen!!

I have linked Canadian and US bank accts through RBC. They do the transfers for free but you have to go with their exchange rate. For a really large amount, I used Canadian Forex. So RBC Canada to Canadian Forex to RBC US. There was a $15 wire fee for the Forex to US RBC part, but it seemed reasonable for the amount I was exchanging.

Timeline

I have linked Canadian and US bank accts through RBC. They do the transfers for free but you have to go with their exchange rate. For a really large amount, I used Canadian Forex. So RBC Canada to Canadian Forex to RBC US. There was a $15 wire fee for the Forex to US RBC part, but it seemed reasonable for the amount I was exchanging.

When you say RBC US...you mean a US dollar Account at RBC Canada?? Who is RBC's partner in the US?

Do you mean the RBC US account is domiciled in Canada?

This is the hard part..if you want to be able to put money in an account in Canada (while in the US) I understand emailing money but doesn't help you if its US Bank to Cdn Bank.

Apr 18/13...filed 1-130

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

N400

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

Don't think I quite understand your question. I have a Canadian $ acct with RBC in Canada and it is linked to a US$ acct in the US. There are no service fees for transfers between the two. The affiliated US bank does not actually have brick and mortar branches where I live in California (I think it's and east coast bank), but I get cash usually via cash back with my debit card at the grocery store (no service fee) and I can deposit my US cheques into my US acct using the cool iPhone/iPad app.

Edited by ricnally

Timeline

Don't think I quite understand your question. I have a Canadian $ acct with RBC in Canada and it is linked to a US$ acct in the US. There are no service fees for transfers between the two. The affiliated US bank does not actually have brick and mortar branches where I live in California (I think it's and east coast bank), but I get cash usually via cash back with my debit card at the grocery store (no service fee) and I can deposit my US cheques into my US acct using the cool iPhone/iPad app.

Ok im clueing in....But you cannot deposit actual money into a bank in California and it be transferrable to a Cdn acct. Just the app for deposits. That is good isn't it!!

Wonder why you can't cross border email money? Then it would be simple. (from us to Canada)

I am firstly trying to figure how not to loose a bunch on exchange (Forex i will investigate)

Apr 18/13...filed 1-130

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

N400

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am struggling with this too. I have savings here in Canadian Dollars that I plan to bring to the US. I have heard great things about TD and Royal Bank cross border banking. Neither have branches in Minnesota (where I am going). I also looked at moving over to ING/Tangerine in Canada as they have a US Savings account and no bank fees, but you can only withdraw US cash from one of their Cafes.

I am booking an appointment with Royal soon to see if moving everything to them will be easiest. What I want is to be able to quick transfers of Canadian to US funds so that I can benefit from the exchange rate and then then have access to the US funds in the US... They do not make it simple!

I have never heard of Forex. If you find out anything, can you post it on here? I am going to look into it too.

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Timeline

Thank you RICNALLY! I got on the phone with RBC US(RBCbank.com) ...a very very long phone call. But all arranged! Do you know you can even link a regular US bank (eg. Bank of America, Chase, US Bank) to your RBC US bank (so you could physically go to a brick and mortar bank) and deposit cash if you so chose and just transfer it to RBC US then transfer to RBC Canada(RBCroyalbank.com) then you could email or interac it anywhere in Canada!! WHEW!

It also helps to establish credit in the US!!

Again thanks for the tip!

Thank you RICNALLY! I got on the phone with RBC US(RBCbank.com) ...a very very long phone call. But all arranged! Do you know you can even link a regular US bank (eg. Bank of America, Chase, US Bank) to your RBC US bank (so you could physically go to a brick and mortar bank) and deposit cash if you so chose and just transfer it to RBC US then transfer to RBC Canada(RBCroyalbank.com) then you could email or interac it anywhere in Canada!! WHEW!

It also helps to establish credit in the US!!

Again thanks for the tip!

Apr 18/13...filed 1-130

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

N400

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

I am struggling with this too. I have savings here in Canadian Dollars that I plan to bring to the US. I have heard great things about TD and Royal Bank cross border banking. Neither have branches in Minnesota (where I am going). I also looked at moving over to ING/Tangerine in Canada as they have a US Savings account and no bank fees, but you can only withdraw US cash from one of their Cafes.

I am booking an appointment with Royal soon to see if moving everything to them will be easiest. What I want is to be able to quick transfers of Canadian to US funds so that I can benefit from the exchange rate and then then have access to the US funds in the US... They do not make it simple!

I have never heard of Forex. If you find out anything, can you post it on here? I am going to look into it too.

Read my post about Forex. I use it for large amounts because they have a better exchange rate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.