tobey

change of address or file first

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hi guys,

We should have filed roc already but we have been waiting to sign a new lease. We are moving as of july 15. Lease is signed. This is our last month to file. I don't know what to do. Should I send out the application now or wait to file for change of address first? Also, how long does it take for a change of address to process? Are we waiting too long :/? Thanks!

Have your mail forwarded with USPS and file a change of address with USCIS. You should be fine. :). I don't know how long that process is since I changed my address at a non-crucial time.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

USPS won't forward government mail. Don't rely on that method. It will get returned, not forwarded.

You are in a tricky spot. I wouldn't risk waiting until a week before the deadline. Something might happen and cause the application to arrive late.

Don't worry about the AR-11 for now. The important thing is what mailing address is put on the form. If it doesn't match what they have on record for you it's not a problem.

If you filed now and put the new address as the mailing address, will you be able to pick up the mail there even if the receipt arrives before you move in?

Is there another address you could use as the mailing address (not the physical address)? Someone who could be trusted to receive your mail? Could you rent a PO box and use that as the mailing address?

Edited by Lainie B

Timeline

I can use my current address because my parents will still live there so I am not worrying about receiving mail, just don't know if it will get confusing uscis later on when I start to file change of address while petition is being processed. I can also write a cover letter stating that we will have a change of address I guess. So tricky! Thanks for your help!!

Hi guys,

We should have filed roc already but we have been waiting to sign a new lease. We are moving as of july 15. Lease is signed. This is our last month to file. I don't know what to do. Should I send out the application now or wait to file for change of address first? Also, how long does it take for a change of address to process? Are we waiting too long :/? Thanks!

If you know the new address complete the application with that address. Also go on-line and complete the AR-11 form and have your USC spouse complete the I-865. Also, note the dates of your residences on the I-751 and mail it off at two weeks before the expiration date on your GC. The issue here is not the processing time of the change of address, but that you followed the rules and have the confirmation numbers to prove that. The ROC notices will be sent to the address you put on the application. Also note that the application has places lived at with dates. If it is certain you are moving and know when, you can put those dates down even if in the future as that is where you expect to live.

Good luck,

Dave

I can use my current address because my parents will still live there so I am not worrying about receiving mail, just don't know if it will get confusing uscis later on when I start to file change of address while petition is being processed. I can also write a cover letter stating that we will have a change of address I guess. So tricky! Thanks for your help!!

I suggest doing that - filing with your current address now, and then when you have moved fill in the AR-11 and I-865. If you can still receive mail at the old place no problem then that's great news. The worst that can happen is that the AR-11 doesn't take effect, and everything gets sent to the old address, but it sounds like that won't be a problem.

Timeline

Thanks for your advice. I asked for a copy of our lease with management's signatures (I only have a copy with ours) and they said it will be mailed in 4-6 weeks so I guess I should just have my parents sign an affidavit that we live with them and send out roc documents. Then after we move in, I will send the change of address forms. Hope all goes well!

Thanks for your advice. I asked for a copy of our lease with management's signatures (I only have a copy with ours) and they said it will be mailed in 4-6 weeks so I guess I should just have my parents sign an affidavit that we live with them and send out roc documents. Then after we move in, I will send the change of address forms. Hope all goes well!

Good luck!

Timeline

Good luck!

Thanks!! One more question. Do you think I should mention in our cover letter or affidavits that we are moving soon or to expect a change of address? I was going to submit the lease as proof but since it's only signed by us and not management, I don't want it to seem confusing or a reason for RFE. Should I just submit roc doc's as they are with affidavit from parents and then send in the address change form a week or two after submitting petition?

Thanks!! One more question. Do you think I should mention in our cover letter or affidavits that we are moving soon or to expect a change of address? I was going to submit the lease as proof but since it's only signed by us and not management, I don't want it to seem confusing or a reason for RFE. Should I just submit roc doc's as they are with affidavit from parents and then send in the address change form a week or two after submitting petition?

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with mentioning it in the cover letter, and I wouldn't include the unsigned lease. People move, it's not a big deal. I would submit it with the parents' affidavit and then do the change of address online. You might get an RFE, in which case send in the lease which you'll have by then.

Filed: Timeline

Tobey: you have 90 days to file for ROC. Why don't you just wait until you move, settle, and then submit the whole pack with your new address? Seems that is the simplest way to go and unless you are at the edge of having your GC expiring in a couple days, you have a good 90 days to file before your GC expires. 90 days should be enough for you to move, and send everything from there, and can even include the first two months of your electric bills/phone bills/bank statements and file for address change just fine. But again, I don't know how "late" you are at the moment....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.