Matt_Stevens

Calling Vietnam - How do you do it?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Matt,

Is she using ADSL for her internet? At home or internet shop?

I have an ADSL connection at my place in HCMC and I have no problem with Skype or webcam connections when communicating with family back in the States.

STL_HCMC

Her connection is so unstable it can barely produce a webcam image and this is with her going high speed. :( Voice would be impossible.

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Matt,

Sounds good. Check it out when you arrive in HCMC.

My fiancee and I both use ADSL through FPT Communications. The service costs 1,200,000 VND (approx. $75.00) to setup. That cost includes the ADSL modem.

Our service plan is called MegaStyle. It is a variable use plan. This means that we pay a flat fee of 20,000VND/mo plus 50VND (approx. $0.003125) for each Kb that is downloaded/uploaded. There is a 300,000VND ($18.75) maximum on your monthly expense (i.e. your use charge will never go higher than 300,000VND even if you use more). The other option is to have a fixed plan with unlimited usage for 250,000VND/mo ($15.60).

I've attached one of FPT's service plan sheets. They use to have it in both English and Vietnamese, but I couldn't locate the English version. However, I think from my explanation you can figure out the plan listed under MegaStyle. Send it to your fiancee and tell her to get hooked up! I use Skype and webcam all the time and never have any connection problems.

STL_HCMC

I have a hard time getting her to explain what she has. It is not through a modem. It sounds like cable. I will arrive in HCMC 4 weeks from today and when I do I will check the situation out.

FPT_ADSL.pdf

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.