heytoot

CHANGE OF ADDRESS AND CHANGE OF EMBASSY

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I badly need some information regarding change of address and change of embassy (i'm the beneficiary). I used to live in the philippines and move to dominican republic, im working on my citizenship here, i mean im just waiting for my resident ID, passport and my birth certificate to be given to me. I already read some info. about it here and I noticed some members were able to do there interview in a different embassy.

So I try to call NVC asking about changing of address, they told me to submit a proof, which I did (a certification from here that says that they have my documents and its under process) i already email it to them, but still I'm waiting for there reply. I called in again to check if they already updated my address and a person from NVC told me, it takes a while and she said you can just continue your process and I told her that I still have my old case number and she said your going to change embassy too? I told her yes, and she said you need to send a request again to NVC for changing embassy and she even told me but, its unlikely for them to approve it. Since I was not really that convince with the info given I called back and talked to a different person and this time I try to explain everything to this person, I told her i moved to Dom rep and im working on my citizenship and I'm waiting for my necessary documents from here, i ask her do i have to send out an email again to NVC to request change of embassy she said yes BUT, you can continue the process and just use your old case number because it does take a while for us to review the case but as soon as you get your necessary documents from Dom Rep send us a copy of it and a request to change embassy and I also told her that I emailed a request to change my address and you guys havent responded to it yet. I asked her what address should I put on the forms and she told me to use my new address, because it takes them a while to respond to that change of address email. I forgot to add this she also said your case number wont change, just your embassy. So instead of MNL it will become SDO.

So what is the best thing to do now? Continue the process and use my old case number and new address?

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I have heard of other people changing their embassy during the process due to a move. I hope someone else sees this and is able to help you. : )

Our IR-1/CR-1 Timeline: (I'm the petitioner)

[2006]: Met *him* for the first time on an online game

[01/13/2013]: He proposed; I said yes <3

[05/04/2013]: We married in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA before our family and friends

[06/05/2013]: Sent off our I-130 packet to USCIS

[06/10/2013]: NOA1 by email

[01/21/2014]: NOA2 by email after a long 7 months

[03/17/2014]: Got our case number/received and paid AOS Bill (same day)

[03/17/2014]: Completed and submitted DS-261

[03/31/2014]: Received and paid IV Bill

[04/16/2014]: Sent out completed AOS packet to NVC

[04/17/2014]: Completed and submitted DS-260

[04/18/2014]: Sent out completed IV packet to NVC

[05/09/2014]: Received AOS checklist by email

[05/12/2014]: Returned AOS checklist by UPS overnight delivery

[06/10/2014]: CASE COMPLETE!

[06/20/2014]: Medical exam

[07/25/2014]: Interview date - APPROVED!!

[08/05/2014]: POE - Las Vegas - No problems :)!!<3 :dance:

event.png
event.png

Nobody replied. I guess nobody really knows the answer to this. :(

I have heard of other people changing their embassy during the process due to a move. I hope someone else sees this and is able to help you. : )

event.png

event.png

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I did change embassy. The process was going while they updated the embassy and I do not think that affected the process (It took about a month). Though they changed the case number and from that time I have been using the new one.

This is the part of the requirement NVC sent to me:

"If you would like to change the processing location, the petitioner, principal applicant, or attorney of record may submit a request with proof of eligibility to legally reside in the new country to the NVC. Possible proof of eligibility includes a copy of one of the following documents:

Birth certificate

Valid unexpired passport

Identity card

Landed immigrant paperwork

Valid work visa

Refugee paperwork"

I hope I helped you a little….

Thank you for answering! I did send nvc an email about me changing address, but they havent responded to it yet. But the agent told me to use my new address on all forms that ask for my address. I'm still waiting for my documents here in Dom rep to be given to me. The only thing they provided as of now is a certificate stating that I am under process and they have my papers. Did you send NVC both the request to change address and embassy in one email?

I did change embassy. The process was going while they updated the embassy and I do not think that affected the process (It took about a month). Though they changed the case number and from that time I have been using the new one.

This is the part of the requirement NVC sent to me:

"If you would like to change the processing location, the petitioner, principal applicant, or attorney of record may submit a request with proof of eligibility to legally reside in the new country to the NVC. Possible proof of eligibility includes a copy of one of the following documents:

Birth certificate

Valid unexpired passport

Identity card

Landed immigrant paperwork

Valid work visa

Refugee paperwork"

I hope I helped you a little….

event.png

event.png

Timeline

First I sent the email with address change request. In nine days I got email that NVC updated address and asked me if I want to change the process to the new location. To do so I had to send the copy of PR card from Canada and they changed the embassy location and case number in about 20 some days.

Did you do this process recently? I sent them an email 3 weeks ago, they havent responded to it yet. Are you the petitioner or the beneficiary?

First I sent the email with address change request. In nine days I got email that NVC updated address and asked me if I want to change the process to the new location. To do so I had to send the copy of PR card from Canada and they changed the embassy location and case number in about 20 some days.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Did you do this process recently? I sent them an email 3 weeks ago, they havent responded to it yet. Are you the petitioner or the beneficiary?

I changed address in January 2014 and embassy in February. At that time they were responding much faster than right now. Now I am still in process (electronic process, My husband is the beneficiary as a son of US citizens) and for email respond you have to wait at least 4 to 6 weeks.

oh okay....thank you! yeah they are taking a while answering emails. What I did right now is that I just followed the instructions given to me by the phone agent to just use my new address in all forms.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

oh okay....thank you! yeah they are taking a while answering emails. What I did right now is that I just followed the instructions given to me by the phone agent to just use my new address in all forms.

Yes, I think that is good idea until you can send them any proof of legal status.

By the way my husband called NVC yesterday and they completed my case last Thursday June 5th. So maybe you will get email sooner that I told you. I sent my docs through email on May 3rd.

I hope so, because I noticed things are not really in order with nvc especially with emails and sending forms to them. :(

Yes, I think that is good idea until you can send them any proof of legal status.

By the way my husband called NVC yesterday and they completed my case last Thursday June 5th. So maybe you will get email sooner that I told you. I sent my docs through email on May 3rd.

event.png

event.png

• 2 months later...

what was the oucome heytoot?

I may need to do this too.

2003 met

2011 married

5-12-14 Mailed I130 DHL

5-18-14 received USCIS acceptance confirmation : California service center

5-19-14 USCIS cashed check

6-4-14 received I-797C receipt (NOA 1)

6-5-14 checked status online – already approved!!!! Waiting NOA 2 hard copy

7-19-14 received case number from NVC

7-20-14 paid AOS fee & completed DS261

8-9-14 Mailed AOS package

8-26-14 received email confirmation of receipt of AOS package; warned it may take 60 days to review

hey sorry it took me a while to answer, they did changed my embassy. I'm still trying to finish my documents with nvc though.

what was the oucome heytoot?

I may need to do this too.

event.png

event.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

hey sorry it took me a while to answer, they did changed my embassy. I'm still trying to finish my documents with nvc though.

Hi...I have a similar situation. I changed my husbands embassy because he finished his work in Japan and moved back to his home country of France. I keep getting the run around from the NVC. It's been over 2 months since I requested change of embassy and nothing has happened yet. Everytime I call and ask they say they can't give me a time frame on the change and they can do nothing for me. We still need to fill out the DS260. He filled out the DS 261 nearly 3 months ago and they are telling me until the embassy change is approved, or done, we can't fill out anything else. My AOS was accepted 80+ days ago and they are telling me the same thing, until embassy change they wont approve it or deny it. I really don't understand why this is the case. We feel like we are being put on the back burner because of a simple change...one that wouldn't be an issue if this process didn't take so long to begin with.

I guess my question is how far along have you moved since your last post and how long did it take for them to change your embassy? Did you have to keep calling and bugging them or did they just do it for you?

Legal Marriage: 10/10/13

Ceremony in Japan: 10/13/13

mailed I-130 from Japan: 11/05/13

Received NOA1 e-mail: 11/15/13

Received NOA1 hard copy: 11/21/2013

**case sent to Nebraska Service Center**

Received NOA2 from website: 05/08/14

Received NOA2 hard copy to foreign address 5/12/14

**177 days from NOA1 to NOA2**

NVC received case 5/21/14

Called to get case number and they couldn't assign it yet: 6/12/2014

Called and talked to supervisor to get assigned case# and IIN (after calling 2x and having trouble with one particular representative saying my case number could not be given yet: 6/24/14

Email from NVC and completed AOS fee payment: 6/27/14

DS-261 completed: 6/27/2014

Mailed AOS package 6/30/14

E-mailed change of embassy request (this is a major setback, they said this was the reason we couldn't pay IV bill): 7/20/2014

Change of embassy request accepted: 10/7/2014 *49 days to get approved embassy change*

**Was told 2x to call back in two weeks to see if IV is available to pay**

AOS Checklist via email, 2 mistakes to fix: 10/7/2014

AOS Corrections mailed: 10/10/2014

IV bill became available and paid: 10/24/2014

IV bill showed as paid in NVC system: 10/27/2014

IV package mailed by husband in France: 10/30/2014

Hey! I did call them from time to time. Same thing they told you. Try to talk to a sup if he could help you out, a supervisor helped me out. It took us more or less 2 months for them to change it and it was a lot of convincing to do. They even asked me for more proof and thats the time I talked to a sup because I did submit a good proof for it.

Hi...I have a similar situation. I changed my husbands embassy because he finished his work in Japan and moved back to his home country of France. I keep getting the run around from the NVC. It's been over 2 months since I requested change of embassy and nothing has happened yet. Everytime I call and ask they say they can't give me a time frame on the change and they can do nothing for me. We still need to fill out the DS260. He filled out the DS 261 nearly 3 months ago and they are telling me until the embassy change is approved, or done, we can't fill out anything else. My AOS was accepted 80+ days ago and they are telling me the same thing, until embassy change they wont approve it or deny it. I really don't understand why this is the case. We feel like we are being put on the back burner because of a simple change...one that wouldn't be an issue if this process didn't take so long to begin with.

I guess my question is how far along have you moved since your last post and how long did it take for them to change your embassy? Did you have to keep calling and bugging them or did they just do it for you?

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.