dvorno

Permanent address required on CEAC website (I won DV)?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

I was selected for DV-2015 and I was completing the online form on the CEAC website (also called online DS-260).

At one point, they are asking for: Mailing and Permanent Address.

However, for the permanent address, there is no choice on the web form: I have to provide an address in the US.

I know no one in the US right now (it could be cumbersome to look for someone I have not spoken to for 15 years...).

Am I missing something or is really necessary to find a contact in the US in order to move to the next step of this online form?

I don't think it is a good idea to use a fictive address and then adjust it later.

So what should I do?

Your input is appreciated.

Thank you,

dvorno

More details here:

Here is the complete question they are asking on the CEAC website:

=== start of page on CEAC website ===

Page: Mailing and Permanent Address Information

> Mailing Address
Is your Mailing Address the same as your Present Address? Error
Yes No

>Permanent Address
Please provide the following information on where you intend to live after arrival in the United States.

Name of person currently living at address Error
o Does Not Apply
U.S. Street Address (Line 1)
U.S. Street Address (Line 2)
City
State
ZIP Code (e.g., 12345 or 12345-1234)
Phone Number (e.g., 555-555-5555)

Is this address where you want your Permanent Residence Card (Green Card) mailed? Error
Yes No
=== end of page on CEAC website ===

Edited by dvorno

i think is not an important step i think you can skip it (mark does not apply)

Not every selected have someone in america, if you don't know anyone its better to contact the ceac

Good luck

May20th : checked the dv and got selected (got exited)

May28th: Completed Ds-260 form

Now: Pending with big fair...

Timeline

i think is not an important step i think you can skip it (mark does not apply)

Not every selected have someone in america, if you don't know anyone its better to contact the ceac

Good luck

I agree that not everyone has someone in the US.

Actually, I don't see how I can skip this step: apparently, if you dont answer this question, you cannot move forward to the next page.

So basically, it is a blocker on their site...

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You can search the forums and see that others have asked the same question, the general opinions are:

- Get a PO box or mail forwarding address and use that where to mail your green card.

- Pick a hotel in the city you will arrive in the US and use that as your permanent address.

- If by the time of the interview you have a new address, update it with the officer.

- When you get approved and are ready to move to the US, if you have a new address, then at the border update the address with the officers.

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number SA03xx - Born in Trinidad, WI / Grew up in Canada - Successful interview: Oct 2nd, 2014 @ Montreal

Timeline

You can search the forums and see that others have asked the same question, the general opinions are:

- Get a PO box or mail forwarding address and use that where to mail your green card.

- Pick a hotel in the city you will arrive in the US and use that as your permanent address.

- If by the time of the interview you have a new address, update it with the officer.

- When you get approved and are ready to move to the US, if you have a new address, then at the border update the address with the officers.

Thanks a lot for the very complete response!

I am planning to follow this advice.

Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.