2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello! Please feel free to move my post to the appropriate forum. I have a H1B visa but is filing AoS based on my marriage to my wife (USC).

I've been a lurker on this site for the past few months and have gained a lot of peace of mind by reading all the helpful posts and a sense of community. Since we just had our AoS interview yesterday(5/20/14) (and was later approved!) I want to give back to the community and write my process/experience. Hopefully it will be beneficial to others in similar situation.

A. Background.

I am a Taiwanese citizen (30yo, Female) on H1B visa. My wife is the U.S. citizen (31yo, Female). We met in a lesbian bar in D.C. in April 2011. Started offically dating August 2011. Between August 2011 and October 2012, me and my wife dated long distance (I am in PA and she was in VA). We see each other every weekend and talked/texted/facetimed everyday. In November 2012, my wife (then girlfriend) moved to PA to live with me. We got engaged in August 2013. Got married on November 9, 2013. We then filed the AoS package (I765, I485 and I130) on Feb 25, 2014.

We are very close to each other's family. My parents come to the US twice a year (winter and summer breaks). My wife went on family trips with my family in the US. And we visit my wife's family once a month, and on all big holidays.

B. Timeline.

2/25/14 (Day 0) Mailed package (I765, I485 and I130).

3/5/14 (Day 8) Got Notice of Action that the package was received (received date 2/28/14)

3/13/14 (Day 16) Fingerprinting (Biometrics) appt notice received (scheduled for 4/1/14).

4/1/14 (Day 34) Fingerprinting done.

4/10/14 (Day 43) Status changed to "Testing and interview" for the I485.

4/17/14 (Day 50) Got email notice that the interview notice is sent. Interview date is for 5/20/14.

5/7/14 (Day 71) Got email notice that EAD card in production (I765).

5/12/14 (Day 76) Got email notice that EAD card is mailed (I765).

5/13/14 (Day 77) Received EAD card.

5/20/14 (Day 84) Interview (for I485 and I130). We were not approved on the spot (at interview). 5 hours after the interview, I got email notice that Card is in production (I485). 9 hours after the interview, I got email notices that I485 and I130 were approved.

C. Recap of Interview (including questions asked).

Our appointment was for 10:55 AM at the USCIS office in Philly. We got there 40 mins earlier (we booked a hotel near the airport which is 20 mins from the USCIS office. With traffic, it took us about 40 mins to drive to the office. So definately give yourself lots of cushion on time). There's a parking lot right across the street from the USCIS office. Parking is $12/day. There are street parking, but there's a 2 hour limit.

At the entrance, there's a security check point (very standard in government buildings). You can bring your cellphone into the building with you. But you can't use your cellphone at the waiting area.

We were called right on time at 10:55 AM. The IO was very friendly and professional. Our interview lasted roughly 25 mins. IO swore us in right away. The interview was in two-part. First part focused on questions for the I130, second part on the I485.

Before he started asking us questions, we directed his attention to a couple mistakes we found on my wife's affidavit and I485 form. Those were quickly resolved without issues.

IO did ask to see original marriage certificate, my wife (USC)'s original birth certificate, our passports, my social security card, my I94 and my H1B (also a piece of paper titled I94), my EAD card and our drivers licenses.

For I130, IO went through very standard questions. First he directed questions for my wife and asked her my name, my DOB, my place of birth, my parents names and where they live, what my professionl is, where do I went for law school and where do I work (Essentially information on the from 325a). He did not ask us how we met (we did describe that in our individual affidavits we submitted). Then IO directed similar questions to me. He asked if we have any other information we'd like to add to support the I130. We gave him all statements of our joint account, some love letters/notes, copy of wedding invitation, cards from family and about 20 facebook printout of our pictures from 2011-present. We also showed him our wedding album (he did not take any pictures from the wedding album since he already got all the FB pics). IO was very happy (at least he maintained very enthusiastic) looking over our pictures and listened to us explaining all the pictures (which includes a zombie 5k run that we had zombie make up on). He said he always enjoys looking through pictures.

For I485, the questions were mostly for me. IO asked me the long list of questions on I485 (all the crazy questions), double checked with me on my list of associations/clubs (all I have are state bar associations and student associations when I was in school). He also verified my last date of entry to US and point of entry. And that was it.

IO did not approve the application on the spot which definately bummed me out then. IO explained the process after this interview (both when I'm approve and when I'm not approved). He said that he will double check with the DoS's records with the information we provided and make a recommendation/memo for his supervisor to review and we should be notified in 4-6 weeks. He did mentioned that our file looks favorable but he has to verify the records to be sure (which is totally understandable...)

We left the USCIS office around 11:20 AM. At 5:15PM, I got an email notice that card was in production for the I485. i got excited, but I checked the status for I130, nothing has changed (still on initial review). Around 8:45PM, I got email notices that I485 and I130 are approved!

D. Documents we brought to the interview.

In short, everything listed on the interview notice (plus more pictures!)

We brought a copy of our entire application package (that was filed 2/25/14). Original birth certificates for my wife (USC) and I, our passports, original marriage certificate, original friends and family affidavit, my social security card, my I94s (one from entrying the US, one from my H1B). My wife got a letter from work to confirm her salary and work hours.

For additional documents, I print out all joint account statements, docs to show that my wife also has a card from my Amex card, more utilities bills for me, and more letters for my wife that shows we live in the same address. Many FB pics print outs (since it shows when it was posted, friends' comments and easy to show a history of our time together).

E. Notes/Tips from our experience.

1. I made sure that I have everything listed on the interview notice (DO use it as a checklist. And double check the checklist!)

2. Since we don't really own anything together except for the joint account (which we opened in Jan 2014). I made sure we have lots of letters that shows that we do in fact have the same address (even if the letter only address one of us but the address is the same!)

3. Facebook is your friend. If you are like us, that doesn't really back up iPhone pictures (or too lazy to go through iPhoto), direct printout from FB is pretty easy. it also conveniently documented when the pictures were taken. Having friends and families' comments are also a good plus (I think) to show your relationship.

4. Like many others said before, be organized. Make a file for yourself and tab everything. It's easier for you to retrieve at the day fo the interview. I had a red-well folder for the application and each document has its own sub-file.

5. Go over your application with your spouse the night before the interview, so you guys are familiar with the information in it. (Don't want to draw a blank on dates and places just becuase your brain was still not warmed-up with those memories!)

6. If you found any mistakes in your application, just let IO know at the beginning of the interview. This shows that you are careful and are trying your best to make sure the information you submitted are corrected and trusthful. We all make mistakes. It's more important to correct them and show your diligence.

7. Definately sign up for the email/text notification! It's really nice to know that when anything is updated you will know right away.

I think this is it. I will come back and edit any mistakes/typos found. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I will try my best to answer from my experience. Thank you all!

Edited by kaylychee

2/25/14 (Day 0) Filed AoS Package

3/5/14 (Day 8) Package received.

3/13/14 (Day16) Biometrics Appt schduled for 4/1/14

4/1/14 (Day 34) Biometrics Done

4/10/14 (Day 43) Status changed to testing and interview

4/17/14 (Day 50) Interview notice sent. Interview date 5/20/14

5/7/14 (Day 71) EAD card in prodction

5/12/14 (Day 76) EAD card mailed

5/13/14 (Day 77) EAD card received

5/20/14 (Day 84) Interview. I130, I485 appoved within 9 hours of interview.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Family-based AOS to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Adjusting from work visa~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.