Jahan&Veena

Got NC Driving License yesterday!!

10 posts in this topic

**WARNING** Lengthy reading, but worth it!

I-94 expired back in November, K-1 Visa expired in September, No signs of EAD yet (even tho it has been 90 days :angry: ) and no GC either :whistle:

BUT...still got the driving license yesterday here in NC!! :dance:

I did some homework BEFORE coming to the US about getting DL in North Carolina and I found that as long as you have a Learner Permit, then that is all you need as ID when you go for your DL. So I did just that: got the Learner Permit back in October while my I-94 was still valid. I had to fight for it tho, the lady looked at my expired K-1 visa and refused to issue the Permit saying I had to wait until the GC. I had our marriage certificate as one form of ID and passport as other. I showed my valid I-94 and said this is proof of my "legal and unexpired" stay in USA but she said she had to go by the visa in the passport and continued to stress that i must have the GC.

But I wasnt giving up either, I said GC could take years to come thanks to a very efficient immigration system! "Are you saying I have to wait years before I can get a DL? Do I have to wait years before I can get a job because without a DL I cant get to a job (there are hardly any jobs in the little town we are in and I must commute to either Concord or Charlotte NC for a decent job)? This will put us in unnecessary and serious hardship if only one of us is working..." (i said this all very politely)

That made sense to her :yes: ...she said ok we will use your marriage certificate as ID and issued me the Permit. So yesterday all I needed was proof of liability insurance and my permit to do the road test...no passport, no EAD and no GC! Passed the test and got a new 8-year DL within 30 mins!!

I know that DMV rules differ from state to state, but a "general" advice to all is to get atleast the Learner Permit while your K-1/I-94 still has plenty of time on it. The Learner Permit may later become very useful, as in our case!

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Very good post as my fiance will be moving to NC in May...if all goes to plan!

Other then the proof of ID..what did you have to do to have a Learners Permit?

Also with the insurence...did you just get added to you husband/wifes..insurence? Was that before your wedding or after??

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Very good post as my fiance will be moving to NC in May...if all goes to plan!

Other then the proof of ID..what did you have to do to have a Learners Permit?

Also with the insurence...did you just get added to you husband/wifes..insurence? Was that before your wedding or after??

For a Learners Permit, you have to study the Driver Handbook, which is available on www.ncdot.org/dmv/ It will prepare you for road signs, drug/alcohol policies and other good driving practices. When you go for the Learners Permit you will have to pass a computer exam which will test you on topics covered in the Driver Handbook. There are about 30-35 questions and if I remember correctly, you must get atlast 25 correct...was so easy, just common sense questions.

Your fiance/e will need their Social Security Card or a document issued by SSA showing their SSN. They will also need to establish their proof of residency in NC which can be done by producing a joint bank statement showing address, any correspondence from the USCIS showing your fiance/e's address in USA...this could even be the NOA1 for your AOS. A utility bill is also fine.

For ID, they need atleast 2 documents atleast one of which shows the date of birth. The SSN card is accepted as one form of ID! So you need one more showing the DoB. That can be your marriage certificate B) so you wont have to show your passport at all BUT they may still ask to see the passport as in my case. But when I refused to give up, they accepted the SSN card and marriage certificate!

And lastly, you need about $15 for the fee.

Getting the SSN is *MOST* important as soon as your fiance/e is here because it is not only required in NC for a marriage license, it also helped us open a joint bank account with Bank of America by simply showing my SSN and passport (with valid I-94). We could then use the bank statements to establish proof of residency.

Then get married ASAP and use your marriage cert. as your other proof of ID for Learners Permit.

The key is to obtain as many things (bank account etc) as possible **BEFORE** your I-94 expires, once its expired most doors will be closed until you get your EAD or GC. Also, try to have atleast one month remaining on your I-94 when you do this...some banks/gov offices may not accept an I-94 that has only a week remaining.

Hope this helps.

About liability insurance, it is NOT needed for Learners Permit. You will need it when you go for the road test to get your DL. You can add your fiance/e to your policy before OR after the marriage.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

JahanXChris, congrats on getting the DL! I got mine in November and it made me feel more like an actual person rather than the social outcast who wasn't allowed to drive! :jest:

It's great advice to get the learner's permit before the expiration of the I-94. That is excatly what I did and when I sat the test in November for my DL they never even wanted to see my passport they were fine with the learners permit, ssn and my mariage certificate.

Fantastic advice!! Very informative and very appreciated! :thumbs: forwarding this on to my fiance!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome ajames79 and thanks katie_UK.

katie_UK, your experience of DL and mine almost proves that this strategy **SHOULD** work in almost every State.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in Nevada, never had a driver's license in Canada, and I got my learner's permit here back in November. I was ready to take the driver's test at the beginning of this month but they informed me that the expiration date on my license, if I passed and got it, would be the same as that of my I-94 (which expires in like 3 days) - which was the same expiry date placed on my learner's permit. So I never went ahead with the test because it wouldn't have been worth it.

They told me they would need to see an approval notice of my GC before I could get my license, which is total BS because of what JahanXChris said above. They didn't mention (nor does it list anywhere) that I can use EAD as proof, but I will wait for my EAD to arrive (or approval notice of it) and try again to get my license using that as proof. If I have a work permit (which proves I am legally allowed to stay in the US--doesn't it?), and I can't drive, how am I supposed to go out and find a job or get to my job once I've found one? Stupid DMV people. Sorry, just ranting.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

JahanXChris -

Congrats on the DL and good for you for not backing down. Some of the ppl at the DMV here in NC can be a bit rude at times. However some of the questions that ajames asked, I think you may not have answered correctly. Then again, the longer you are here in NC the more you will see, some towns are a bit different and will go with their own methods. By the locations you were mentioning

(there are hardly any jobs in the little town we are in and I must commute to either Concord or Charlotte NC for a decent job
I am assuming that we may live fairly close to each other. I have a few comments on the situations you discussed though.
When you go for the Learners Permit you will have to pass a computer exam which will test you on topics covered in the Driver Handbook. There are about 30-35 questions and if I remember correctly, you must get atlast 25 correct...was so easy, just common sense questions.

That all depends on the DMV location. The town that I am in has a small office and when you are called back to take your test they hand you a form and ask you to sit at a desk (like in school) and you have to fill in the bubbles with a pencil. Then the examiner calls you over to their desk when they see you are finished writing and either hand grade or slide it into a computer to calculate. Then they do your vision test, road sign, and then finally your driving(road ability) test. Smile for the camera and pay your fee. POOF! all done. Some of the newer (more recently updated/built DMV offices offer computerized exams, eventually they will all get around to it I guess. I do agree the test is easy and common sense questions.

You will need their Social Security Card or a document issued by SSA showing their SSN. They will also need to establish their proof of residency in NC which can be done by producing a joint bank statement showing address, any correspondence from the USCIS showing your fiance/e's address in USA...this could even be the NOA1 for your AOS. A utility bill is also fine.

For ID, they need atleast 2 documents atleast one of which shows the date of birth. The SSN card is accepted as one form of ID! So you need one more showing the DoB. That can be your marriage certificate so you wont have to show your passport at all BUT they may still ask to see the passport as in my case. But when I refused to give up, they accepted the SSN card and marriage certificate! And lastly, you need about $15 for the fee.

If you are getting a license, learner's permit or an ID card for the first time in North Carolina, you will need to provide proof of:

• Your Residence Address ie;utility bills, bank statements mailed to address, rental/lease agreement
  • Your Age and Identity ie;passport, birth cert., marriage license
  • Your Social Security Number or a valid Visa issued by a US Government Agency

When making application for an identification card, learners permit or drivers license, it is required by law that you provide DMV with a valid Social Security Number, or a valid Visa issued by a US Government Agency, if you are not eligible for a Social Security number.

About liability insurance, it is NOT needed for Learners Permit. You will need it when you go for the road test to get your DL. You can add your fiance/e to your policy before OR after the marriage.

For a driver's license you will also need to show proof of Automobile Liability Insurance if you will be driving a personal vehicle or something other than a fleet vehicle (rental car, company car).

The N.C. General Assembly has enacted legislation to require some (but not all) driver license applicants in North Carolina to submit proof of automobile liability insurance coverage in order to obtain a North Carolina driver's license. Proof of liability insurance coverage applies to those:

• Applying for an original license, including transfers from out-of-state;
  • Whose licenses are being restored after revocation or suspension; or
  • Awarded a "Limited Driving Privilege" by the court.

This does not apply to applicants who do not own currently registered motor vehicles and who do not operate nonfleet private passenger motor vehicles that are owned by other persons. In such cases it is required that a certification of exemption (DL-123A) be signed at the driver license office.

The exemption restricts the driver to the operation of "Fleet Vehicles Only".

Fleet Vehicles refers to rental cars etc.

In my experience but am not 100% positive, all drivers must have liability insurance. Including those with a driving permit. (someone has to be responsible for accidents etc.)

You can add your fiance/e to your policy before OR after the marriage.
Insurance can be carried on anyone who is residing in the main policy holders household. They do not have to be related.
Getting the SSN is *MOST* important as soon as your fiance/e is here because it is not only required in NC for a marriage license, it also helped us open a joint bank account with Bank of America by simply showing my SSN and passport (with valid I-94).

Again, this may be a location aspect. My husband and I went to the registers office and applied for a marriage license showing only his passport. No other documents were required and we had our ML in about 20 minutes. We also have a joint bank account with Bank of America and had no issues when asked for a SS#. We simply explained that we were in the process of applying for an IV and the banker used his passport as verification (he also had some sort of card from his country. I think it was like a SS card for Ireland but not sure.)

ajames, I would recommend as the OP said and definitely start the ball rolling while your I-94 is valid. It will keep the DMV from giving too much hassel.

Hope this was helpful and good luck with your journey and the move to NC!

Sherry

I-130

03/29/06-Mailed to TSC

04/03/06-Recieved I-130 @TSC forwarded to CSC

04/05/06-NOA1

04/11/06-Recieved NOA1

07/18/06-NOA-2- Approved

02/09/07-CASE COMPLETED!!!!!!

02/13/07-Case forwarded to Dublin Embassy!!!

04/26/07-Interveiw!!

04/26/07- VISA in Hand!!!!

July-2007-Niall finishes work & comes home!!!

We had delays in our journey that were not part of the immigration process, please do not use our "timeline" as an accurate guide!

JahanXChris -

Congrats on the DL and good for you for not backing down. Some of the ppl at the DMV here in NC can be a bit rude at times. However some of the questions that ajames asked, I think you may not have answered correctly. Then again, the longer you are here in NC the more you will see, some towns are a bit different and will go with their own methods. By the locations you were mentioning

(there are hardly any jobs in the little town we are in and I must commute to either Concord or Charlotte NC for a decent job
I am assuming that we may live fairly close to each other. I have a few comments on the situations you discussed though.
When you go for the Learners Permit you will have to pass a computer exam which will test you on topics covered in the Driver Handbook. There are about 30-35 questions and if I remember correctly, you must get atlast 25 correct...was so easy, just common sense questions.
That all depends on the DMV location. The town that I am in has a small office and when you are called back to take your test they hand you a form and ask you to sit at a desk (like in school) and you have to fill in the bubbles with a pencil. Then the examiner calls you over to their desk when they see you are finished writing and either hand grade or slide it into a computer to calculate. Then they do your vision test, road sign, and then finally your driving(road ability) test. Smile for the camera and pay your fee. POOF! all done. Some of the newer (more recently updated/built DMV offices offer computerized exams, eventually they will all get around to it I guess. I do agree the test is easy and common sense questions.
You will need their Social Security Card or a document issued by SSA showing their SSN. They will also need to establish their proof of residency in NC which can be done by producing a joint bank statement showing address, any correspondence from the USCIS showing your fiance/e's address in USA...this could even be the NOA1 for your AOS. A utility bill is also fine.

For ID, they need atleast 2 documents atleast one of which shows the date of birth. The SSN card is accepted as one form of ID! So you need one more showing the DoB. That can be your marriage certificate so you wont have to show your passport at all BUT they may still ask to see the passport as in my case. But when I refused to give up, they accepted the SSN card and marriage certificate! And lastly, you need about $15 for the fee.

If you are getting a license, learner's permit or an ID card for the first time in North Carolina, you will need to provide proof of:
  • Your Residence Address ie;utility bills, bank statements mailed to address, rental/lease agreement
  • Your Age and Identity ie;passport, birth cert., marriage license
  • Your Social Security Number or a valid Visa issued by a US Government Agency

When making application for an identification card, learners permit or drivers license, it is required by law that you provide DMV with a valid Social Security Number, or a valid Visa issued by a US Government Agency, if you are not eligible for a Social Security number.

For a driver's license you will also need to show proof of Automobile Liability Insurance if you will be driving a personal vehicle or something other than a fleet vehicle (rental car, company car).

The N.C. General Assembly has enacted legislation to require some (but not all) driver license applicants in North Carolina to submit proof of automobile liability insurance coverage in order to obtain a North Carolina driver's license. Proof of liability insurance coverage applies to those:

• Applying for an original license, including transfers from out-of-state;
  • Whose licenses are being restored after revocation or suspension; or
  • Awarded a "Limited Driving Privilege" by the court.

This does not apply to applicants who do not own currently registered motor vehicles and who do not operate nonfleet private passenger motor vehicles that are owned by other persons. In such cases it is required that a certification of exemption (DL-123A) be signed at the driver license office.

The exemption restricts the driver to the operation of "Fleet Vehicles Only".

Fleet Vehicles refers to rental cars etc.

In my experience but am not 100% positive, all drivers must have liability insurance. Including those with a driving permit. (someone has to be responsible for accidents etc.)

You can add your fiance/e to your policy before OR after the marriage.
Insurance can be carried on anyone who is residing in the main policy holders household. They do not have to be related.
Getting the SSN is *MOST* important as soon as your fiance/e is here because it is not only required in NC for a marriage license, it also helped us open a joint bank account with Bank of America by simply showing my SSN and passport (with valid I-94).
Again, this may be a location aspect. My husband and I went to the registers office and applied for a marriage license showing only his passport. No other documents were required and we had our ML in about 20 minutes. We also have a joint bank account with Bank of America and had no issues when asked for a SS#. We simply explained that we were in the process of applying for an IV and the banker used his passport as verification (he also had some sort of card from his country. I think it was like a SS card for Ireland but not sure.)

ajames, I would recommend as the OP said and definitely start the ball rolling while your I-94 is valid. It will keep the DMV from giving too much hassel.

Hope this was helpful and good luck with your journey and the move to NC!

Sherry

Again thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.