Lights

Approved Canadian - Medical and Interview Review

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd write a little review for those in Canada, specifically Vancouver.

When I first got my packet 3 and I knew I would be booking my interview, I started to get super excited and anxious. My best advice is to be prepared. Have all your documents organized and make sure that all required vaccinations are completed. Once you do that, it really is a smooth ride.

Medical - Dr. Cheema

The medical was a breeze. The ladies in the reception area are very nice. They took all my paperwork and vaccination records to copy before Dr. Cheema came out to see me. Being organized helps us all and it really reduces the level of anxiety when you know you have everything. Dr Cheema is super professional and personable as well. We chit chatted about where I was moving to (Sunny California) and how my parents doesn't mind visiting because of the weather. We joked a bit while he asked the standard questions (do you do drugs, have you had mental health problems, do you drink etc.). I was in and out of the office in about 30 minutes or maybe even less. I would suggest, if you could drive, to drive. The rest of the exam (blood test and x-rays) are 12 blocks away. The blood work was very easy, the people there were also very nice. The wait wasn't so bad (about 10-15 minutes). Make sure to take a number as soon as you get in. The x-ray's took a bit longer. I waited about an hour before they took us in. They take you in groups and put you in a group changing room with stalls... if you are with someone, have them carry you belongings.

Interview - Vancouver

I got to the interview 15 minutes before 10 AM (my slot). Make sure if you can to not bring anything other then your paperwork. They'll either put your cellphone in a locker or you'll have to go across the street to Quizno's or another store to hold your things. Most people who were there had to do that. I knew ahead of time not to, so I left my cellphone and keys with someone else.

Once you get through the initial security point, you stand outside for about 15 minutes. They take you in in groups of 5. Once you get into the building and upstairs, you go through another security point. Where they ask you to take off your belt and run your jacket through a scanner. Then you wait by the elevators for another agent to take you upstairs. Once you're upstairs, the agent told me to go around the corner to the Window B. It's an open room with multiple windows/open rooms. When I got to the window, I flicked the switch once. A very nice lady came out to collect all my documents and to tell me what the process for the interview was. From then on, she gave me a number and told me to have a seat. I waited probably over an hour in the waiting room. There are other types of visa applicants that, I believe, get screened downstairs because they come upstairs with an interview number already without having to go to any other window. Luckily for me, there was another K1 applicant so we got to chat for a bit and the time went by quicker.

Finally, it was my turn. All in all the interview itself took about 5 minutes. The agent asked questions about myself and my fiance: what we do for a living, how we met, how did he propose, have we met each others family. I was also asked to provide pictures. The agent was very pleasant and we just chatted about the future. Then after a few minutes, she wished me luck and told me I was approved.

I went back to Window B where they told me what to expect... That I would get my passport and visa at the Loomis branch I chose when I selected my interview. They mentioned it would take about 5-7 business days and that I would get an email from Loomis. They did mention sometimes they don't email so after 5 days, I can check with Loomis. I was also informed that there will be a sealed packet that I cannot open (similar to your medical package) that I'll need to give at POE.

I was at the consulate at 9:45 and I was out at about 12:45. All waiting except for the 5 minute interview... glad it's done and that I really was anxious and nervous for no reason.

My notes is: organization is key. Organize your documentation and evidence. Everything else is a breeze. You cannot bring your cellphone in and there's no clock in the waiting room, so if you have a watch you can bring it. There also isn't a bathroom in the waiting room, so if you have to go (and expect to wait about an hour or more) go to bathroom before going upstairs in the elevator. I ended up bringing a book, knowing that I'll have to wait. But I didn't read it at all since I got to chat with another K1 applicant. If he's on this forum - I hope it went smooth for you!!

Good luck everyone :)

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

What vaccinations do we need? I dont have a record just Tetanus..

ill have my immigration medical soon (within couple of weeks i assume)

07/23/13 - I130 Package Sent

07/27/13 - NOA1

11/18/13 - NOA2

12/16/13 - NVC received Case

01/13/14 - NVC Assigned Case Number, BIN and IIN

01/13/14 - Electronic Processing Request Sent

01/15/14 - DS-261 Available and completed

01/16/14 - AOS bill invoice available and paid

01/17/14 - Electronic Processing Request Accepted

02/03/14 - AOS E-Mailed

02/01/14 - IV bill invoice available and paid

02/04/14 - DS-260 Available and completed

02/04/14 - IV package emailed

04/07/14 - Case Complete

04/08/14 - Medical Complete

04/13/14 - Interview Date

Timeline

What vaccinations do we need? I dont have a record just Tetanus..

ill have my immigration medical soon (within couple of weeks i assume)

If you're medical is in a few weeks, you will just need your:

Tdap (make sure it's the Tdap and not just TD), MMR (MR and MM are not enough, you need an MMR), and Varicella or verbal disclosure that you had chicken pox. It is different for different age groups, but this was only required for me (26 y/o). If you're doing your medical with Dr. Cheema, they will send you a document on how to prepare.

If you don't have records, you can get tested for immunity. I can't remember what it's called, but it's a blood test and usually has a 24-48 hour turnaround. I would get that done ASAP so you don't wait until the last minute. I got my Tdap the week before my medical, but I knew I had to do it because it's a booster shot that only lasts 10 years and I was due for it. Everything else was fine and I had old records luckily.

Good luck!

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

If you're medical is in a few weeks, you will just need your:

Tdap (make sure it's the Tdap and not just TD), MMR (MR and MM are not enough, you need an MMR), and Varicella or verbal disclosure that you had chicken pox. It is different for different age groups, but this was only required for me (26 y/o). If you're doing your medical with Dr. Cheema, they will send you a document on how to prepare.

If you don't have records, you can get tested for immunity. I can't remember what it's called, but it's a blood test and usually has a 24-48 hour turnaround. I would get that done ASAP so you don't wait until the last minute. I got my Tdap the week before my medical, but I knew I had to do it because it's a booster shot that only lasts 10 years and I was due for it. Everything else was fine and I had old records luckily.

Good luck!

thankyou for the info! i guess i will talk to my family doctor right away and get those if not i will get it done during medical.

07/27/13 - NOA1

11/18/13 - NOA2

02/03/14 - AOS E-Mailed

04/07/14 - Case Complete

Timeline

thankyou for the info! i guess i will talk to my family doctor right away and get those if not i will get it done during medical.

I would double check with the doctor you're going to just to make sure they could do it at the medical. I wasn't aware they could, but that's also because I wasn't looking for whether that was available to me.

Good luck!

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Yes you can get them done at the medical but generally they charge for them. Through the family doctor or health clinic you can normally get them for free.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yay!!! Thanks for this lovely and I'm glad it went well for you!!!

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As stated by NLR, getting them done in advance could save you a lot of money:)

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

i will try my best!

07/27/13 - NOA1

11/18/13 - NOA2

02/03/14 - AOS E-Mailed

04/07/14 - Case Complete

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.