doodle

Considering move to Chapel Hill/Raleigh

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Cary is awesome. If I moved there, that would be my #1 choice town. Apex is more affordable though, it's right next to Cary and is less built out than Cary is.

:thumbs:

I'm not trying to overpay it's just that I think that Chapel Hill could be a better investment. Plus, I do not like to do major commutes. It looks like I will most likely be working in Chapel Hill....

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Years ago my ex and I were considering moving out of state. I researched the area and found what the 'best place' on paper was...everything was great about it! We took a trip up there and got with a realtor to be shown some houses. I notice (this place was in the Bible belt) that you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a Baptist church. Not that I have anything against Baptists, mind you...but the amt of churches were overwhelming.

So I say to the agent 'where's the nearest Catholic church?' and he's gotta think about it...turns out there's one on the other side of town.

Then I ask how the nightlife is, and he said because of Blue Laws that the clubs closed before midnight on Saturday because no booze could be sold on a Sunday. So I ask where CAN ya go on a Sat night if you want to party...he says to cross the border into GA! lol

Finally I ask....where is the nearest Jewish Temple and he says

'you mean for them there Jewish folk?'

and that's when I knew I could never live there, despite how great it looked on paper.

doodle, Lisa's advice is good!

I love enthusiasm, G dawg ;)

Cary, Apex and Chapel Hill are so multicultural that it doesn't feel like the Bible Belt at all. But to actually get to the area by road from New Jersey, once you enter NC, it feels nuts... churches everywhere. More churches than houses, or so it seems from the road.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Cary has a weird code thoough... like how many pets u can have and what color your house can be......... everything looks alike there.. even the mall and McDonald :lol: Bram and I just dont like it :P But it works for some people. and I do feel that Apex is way out there - actually it's not that far but i've never been there

My night out would deffinaltely be in Franklin St in Chapel Hill (just 15 mins from my house and I live in durham) lots of good food on that road... it's a fun town - very beautiful too..

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Yes, I have heard about the codes in Cary. Apparently someone I know wanted to turn his porch into a Florida room and they wouldnt let him.

And Apex is just the next town over. It's not that far.

Any idea whether the proposal for building a train network in the area is getting anywhere? That would be nice.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Anya, I don't even live there yet but that's what I imagine myself doing on a Friday night. That's why I want to live in Chapel Hill.

It's funny what you say about Cary. I couldn't get over the McCafe's in Cary. They didn't even look like McDonald's. Plush seating, no red roof! I had to laugh

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

doodle,

From what little I've seen of the area it's quite nice. My brother and his family has lived there most of his adult life, in Carey, Apex, and presently in Holly Springs, and they are very happy there. I enjoyed the State museums in Raleigh.

I'm just saying that you don't want to be on I-40 during rush hour, cause their ain't no rushing going on - it's barely crawling, for hours.

Yodrak

yodrak...where would you suggest going?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Anya, I don't even live there yet but that's what I imagine myself doing on a Friday night. That's why I want to live in Chapel Hill.

It's funny what you say about Cary. I couldn't get over the McCafe's in Cary. They didn't even look like McDonald's. Plush seating, no red roof! I had to laugh

McCafe! Bram had to point out the sign before i realized it's McDonald!! :lol: It's just really funny to me ^^

By the way.. I'm not sure when's the rush hour but i drive on i40 every day to and back from work.. seems to miss all the trafic (I work 9-5) Bram said most people live in Raleigh, Cary and work in RTP so in the morning west bound is heavy and in the afternoon the east bound is heavy but I drive east bound in the morning and to west int he afternoon (65-70mph all the way.. that's for me though.. i'm a slow one ;p).. so there still some trafic but not as much as the other side of the road...

But i heard the trafic in Chepel Hill is really bad though.. never actually been ther during rush hour so I cant say for sure :)

and today the weather is 70s high.. tomorrow would be a bit warmer... ohhhh I love it!!!

Edited by anya-D

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

My night out would deffinaltely be in Franklin St in Chapel Hill (just 15 mins from my house and I live in durham) lots of good food on that road... it's a fun town - very beautiful too..

Ohh have I done Franklin Street many times in my life! Fun fun! Always a blast on Halloween as well!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ohh have I done Franklin Street many times in my life! Fun fun! Always a blast on Halloween as well!

Yup, I did Frankin St. every halloween for 4 years - good times! :D

Yup, I did Frankin St. every halloween for 4 years - good times! :D

perhaps we passted by eachother on said occasions!! :)

Always a good time!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.