Tee and Megan

Hong Kong Police Cert.

19 posts in this topic

Hi all!

My fiance and I first met in Hong Kong when we were studying at the Lutheran Theological Seminary.

He lived there for a year, so that means we need to get a police certificate of no criminal record for our interview.

However, on the Hong Kong Police force website, they say we need to get him fingerprinted first and then have the prints sent to Hong Kong.

This is really tricky because the Cambodian postal system is almost non-existent, so getting his prints done in Cambodia and sending them to HK will take a LONG time.

Does anyone know 1. How long the police certificate is good for, and 2. if there is any way around getting the prints?

Thank you all so much!!

Megan

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi all!

My fiance and I first met in Hong Kong when we were studying at the Lutheran Theological Seminary.

He lived there for a year, so that means we need to get a police certificate of no criminal record for our interview.

However, on the Hong Kong Police force website, they say we need to get him fingerprinted first and then have the prints sent to Hong Kong.

This is really tricky because the Cambodian postal system is almost non-existent, so getting his prints done in Cambodia and sending them to HK will take a LONG time.

Does anyone know 1. How long the police certificate is good for, and 2. if there is any way around getting the prints?

Thank you all so much!!

Megan

Hey there - unfortunately there isn't a way to get around it.

Could you mail it through FedEx or DHL?

I can't remember exactly how long the cert is good for - I vaguely remember him telling me that it expires in Dec (I got my prints done in end of March). I could be wrong though.

You should get this done ASAP though, because it takes HK police a month to process it - by far the longest thing I had to wait for post interview.

K1

Nov 7, 2013 - i-129f mailed to Dallas Lockbox

Nov 16, 2013 - noa 1 received

feb 20, 2014 - noa 2 approved

march 5, 2014 - case number assigned at NVC

march 14, 2014 - case received by local embassy

april 4, 2014 - interview

may 1, 2014 - visa in hand

june 13, 2014 - POE: Boston

AOS

Aug 1, 2014 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Aug 6, 2014 - NOA1

Aug 19, 2014 - Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD

Sept 29, 2014 - EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Mid-Nov - Potential Waiver of Interview letter received

End of May 2015 - renewed my EAD/AP, got the NOA1 and another letter stating that I don't need to do biometrics appt.

June 11, 2015 - welcome to America letter! (no interview...no service request..)

June 16, 2015 - green card in hand

Hey there - unfortunately there isn't a way to get around it.

Could you mail it through FedEx or DHL?

I can't remember exactly how long the cert is good for - I vaguely remember him telling me that it expires in Dec (I got my prints done in end of March). I could be wrong though.

You should get this done ASAP though, because it takes HK police a month to process it - by far the longest thing I had to wait for post interview.

Thanks so much! We'll start working on it straightaway. (although we haven't left NVC yet)

OO! Sorry, one more question:

Did you have to wait until you got a letter from the Embassy for your interview before you submitted it?

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Thanks so much! We'll start working on it straightaway. (although we haven't left NVC yet)

OO! Sorry, one more question:

Did you have to wait until you got a letter from the Embassy for your interview before you submitted it?

OH yea sorry I forgot - yes that's the most annoying part. You need to wait for packet 3 (not the actual interview appointment, but just the letter from the consulate saying they have received the packet from NVC and here is the document checklist that you need to start preparing...)

K1

Nov 7, 2013 - i-129f mailed to Dallas Lockbox

Nov 16, 2013 - noa 1 received

feb 20, 2014 - noa 2 approved

march 5, 2014 - case number assigned at NVC

march 14, 2014 - case received by local embassy

april 4, 2014 - interview

may 1, 2014 - visa in hand

june 13, 2014 - POE: Boston

AOS

Aug 1, 2014 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Aug 6, 2014 - NOA1

Aug 19, 2014 - Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD

Sept 29, 2014 - EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Mid-Nov - Potential Waiver of Interview letter received

End of May 2015 - renewed my EAD/AP, got the NOA1 and another letter stating that I don't need to do biometrics appt.

June 11, 2015 - welcome to America letter! (no interview...no service request..)

June 16, 2015 - green card in hand

Gotcha! For Cambodia, packet 3 is online, but I think they'll still send me something in the mail.

Thank you SO much! We really appreciate you help!!

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Tee and Megan, i am applying for HK Police certificate too i just had my Fingerprint done by our local Police. I didn't wait for Packet 3 i just go to consulate and ask for request form, consular staff just just my case number and my petitioner and she give me what i need. :)

Hello Tee and Megan, i am applying for HK Police certificate too i just had my Fingerprint done by our local Police. I didn't wait for Packet 3 i just go to consulate and ask for request form, consular staff just just my case number and my petitioner and she give me what i need. :)

Thanks CjBryan!! I appreciate it! So you didn't wait for your petition to reach the Consulate?

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks CjBryan!! I appreciate it! So you didn't wait for your petition to reach the Consulate?

I didn't as long as you are approve and got your case number you can ask for request form to your embassy or consulate :)

Filed: Other Timeline

I didn't as long as you are approve and got your case number you can ask for request form to your embassy or consulate :)

CJBryan,

just to make sure, are you saying we can get the police clearance right away after you get the NVC case number? We just received our NVC case number and are waiting for the Fees to invoice so we can mail out the AOS and IV packet.

So Am I able to get the police clearance now?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Candy got her HK clearance presenting them with just the letter from NVC that they are transferring the file to USEM. Apparently all they are looking for is a govt issued document with the applicant's name, USICIS number and Consulate number. At least that is what I can infer since they accepted this fully. And it did fly because the clearance is now on file with USEM, confirmed by email.

Yes you need fingerprints. If you are worried about the mail system in your country, I suggest DHL deliver to HK. Candy did not worry about that because she works in HK now and was local to the police station. But if you are not, do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks on DHL so you know it got there.

They tell you 30 days but it is actually faster, more like 10 to 15 days.

Edited by Al422

Candy got her HK clearance presenting them with just the letter from NVC that they are transferring the file to USEM. Apparently all they are looking for is a govt issued document with the applicant's name, USICIS number and Consulate number. At least that is what I can infer since they accepted this fully. And it did fly because the clearance is now on file with USEM, confirmed by email.

Yes you need fingerprints. If you are worried about the mail system in your country, I suggest DHL deliver to HK. Candy did not worry about that because she works in HK now and was local to the police station. But if you are not, do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks on DHL so you know it got there.

They tell you 30 days but it is actually faster, more like 10 to 15 days.

So NVC will still 'case complete' the file without a police clearance? Did you guys put anything on the cover letter to explain the lack of police clearance when you sent the IV packet?

So NVC will still 'case complete' the file without a police clearance? Did you guys put anything on the cover letter to explain the lack of police clearance when you sent the IV packet?

I thought HK authorities sent the police cert right to the Embassy? Is that right?

Can you use a photo copy of the NOA2 to get a police cert? Or does it have to be the letter from the NVC?

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

I thought HK authorities sent the police cert right to the Embassy? Is that right?

Can you use a photo copy of the NOA2 to get a police cert? Or does it have to be the letter from the NVC?

yea, that's what I'm trying to clarify.

Per the HK gov site, HK will require some sort of document from NVC to initiate the Police cert, and they will send it to NVC directly.

I just paid my AOS and my IV fee, so I haven't received any letter mentioning a requirement to get a police report yet. So Im trying to clarify at what point every one else got their police report. Did you get it after case complete? Or did you get a letter from NVC about PR. If so, when does that happen?

I was told that Cambodian applicants have to get police certs from all places they have lived for more than six months. My fiance lived in HK for a year, so he has to get a police cert before they'll give us an interview date. :)

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

NOA2 will not fly as they need something with the consulate case number on it. NVC letter, which has the case number, will fly.

If the consulate where you will be interviewing is accessible to you, go there as they probably have a form tailored to the HK COC. If not, the instruction sheet from the consulate, specifying the need for the COC will do, or as in our case the NVC letter.

They do send it directly to the embassy. Ours got there, confirmed by email.

And yes you do need the fingerprints. If you are not in HK, go to your local police and have them do it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.