richardowen

I-130 approved now what.. still confused !

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I thought I was clear from this thread.....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

and yesterday we got email notice that I-130 was approved....yay !

But now I find that I'm still confused as to what I need to do now.... I'm in the US on K3 and don't want to go back to the UK for anything.

Before I thought that I didn't need to do AOS but now it looks like I do...

Has anyone here been through the process of going from K3 to having I-130 approved but continuing to get green card here and not going back home for interview etc. Any help clearing up my confusion would be lovely...

Thanks

Rich./

Ahh..

I think I understand now that I have to wait for 1-130 approval before doing AOS...

This is why I was confused... on the FAQ page here:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k3k4visa-aos.html

The answers 14.1 and 14.2 make it clear that people need to apply for AOS straight away but there is no mention of waiting for NOA from the 1-130 so the implication is that as soon as I arrived on K3 I should AOS.... further down however in the instructions to file for AOS it says to include:

5. K-1 Visa Holders: Submit Copy of NOA2 "Approval" for I-129F

K-3 Visa Holders: Submit Copy of NOA2 "Approval" for I-130

thus implying that you can't do AOS without NOA2....is this correct ?

richardowen,

No, a K3 does not have to wait for the I-130 petition to be approved to apply for adjustment of status. (My wife didn't.)

Yodrak

Ahh..

I think I understand now that I have to wait for 1-130 approval before doing AOS...

This is why I was confused... on the FAQ page here:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k3k4visa-aos.html

The answers 14.1 and 14.2 make it clear that people need to apply for AOS straight away but there is no mention of waiting for NOA from the 1-130 so the implication is that as soon as I arrived on K3 I should AOS.... further down however in the instructions to file for AOS it says to include:

thus implying that you can't do AOS without NOA2....is this correct ?

richardowen,

No, a K3 does not have to wait for the I-130 petition to be approved to apply for adjustment of status. (My wife didn't.)

Yodrak

--------

So why does point 5 on the FAQ say:

and what did she answer to the first question in Part 2 of the I-485 ?

This appears to be the only possible answer....

an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you animmediately available visa number, if approved.)

but K3 is a non-immigrant visa.

Did your wife tick this box and then just not send in the NOA2 ?

Rich./

Rich,

The VJ FAQ and Guides are good, but they're not perfect.

You have correctly identified the proper answer, the I-130 petition will be approved before the I-485 is approved - if only minutes before. Submit a copy of the I-130 Receipt Notice as evidence that an I-130 has been submitted and is pending. You might also submit a copy of the I-129f Approval Notice for good measure.

Yodrak

richardowen,

Yodrak

--------

So why does point 5 on the FAQ say:

and what did she answer to the first question in Part 2 of the I-485 ?

This appears to be the only possible answer....

an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you animmediately available visa number, if approved.)

but K3 is a non-immigrant visa.

Did your wife tick this box and then just not send in the NOA2 ?

Rich./

Edited by Yodrak

But now I find that I'm still confused as to what I need to do now.... I'm in the US on K3 and don't want to go back to the UK for anything.

Has anyone here been through the process of going from K3 to having I-130 approved but continuing to get green card here and not going back home for interview etc. Any help clearing up my confusion would be lovely...

Thanks

Rich./

I'm confused as hell, how on earth did you get a K-3 visa without approval of a I-130???

going through HELL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The K3 was designed with the idea that it would be approved before the I130. All you need is a NOA1 for the I130 to apply for the K3 - if you had to wait for an approved I130 it would make no sense as a measure to reunite people waiting for the I130 to be approved.

Thanks

Rich./

I'm confused as hell, how on earth did you get a K-3 visa without approval of a I-130???

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

NikkisPrecious,

By applying for it. The reason for the creation of the K3 visa was, afterall, to enable the foreign spouse to come to the USA without having to wait for the I-130 to be approved.

Yodrak

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
NikkisPrecious,

By applying for it. The reason for the creation of the K3 visa was, afterall, to enable the foreign spouse to come to the USA without having to wait for the I-130 to be approved.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

NO..the purpose of the K-3 visa is family reunion WHILE WAITING FOR APPROVAL OF THE I-130. PERIOD.

tp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.