7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Up to several months ago I was unaware that I can claim citizenship through my naturalized mother via the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. I have been using my Green Card number on all employment 1-9 verification forms (3 times since 2000), most recently in August 2013. I received my U.S. Passport today. I am interviewing for a new job next week, if I get hired this will be the first time I will check the "I am a United States Citizen" on the form. I'm just really, really concerend that USCIS will balk at my I-9.

I know that they ask for the U.S. Passport issuance date/number, etc., so that will be okay since those are valid, but I have an EXTREME anxiety disorder and I'm scared.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Are you a citizen or a green card holder? If you have a passport, that means that you're already a US Citizen or a "non citizen national", which means born in Puerto Rico, Guam, or US Virgin Islands.

Having a passport would mean that you already hold citizenship.

Edited by SofiaIsabella

I had a Green Card, received my U.S. Passport today. Like I said, I've been using my Green Card number due to ignorance of the law on I-9 forms even though I have been a citizen for years because of the the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. I'm wondering if I will have any issues filling out a new I-9 form with my new passport and checking "Citizen" instead of "Pernament Resident" for the first time. I'm naturalized, not a national. Born in Europe.

Edited by depaulbluedemon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

apologies, your question wasn't clear in your first post which was why I asked for clarification.

You will not have any issues filing out your I-9 form. Just check off that you are a Citizen and you can prove that by showing your passport or naturalization papers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I-9s don't get sent to USCIS anyway.

The only time they're ever looked at is if USCIS takes an interest in your employer and wants to see them, they're only required to have them on file.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Thank you for your response. I just got off the phone with USCIS's Employee Hotline and they told me no worries, if it comes back as "cannot verify" to call them and they will assist me. Once again, thank you for your help. Like I have mentioned here in the past I have a debilitating anxiety disorder.

I just finished my Master's degree last May and I have an interview for a dream job next week. Do not want to do anything wrong. I also have a new mortgage, so if I quit current job, take the new job, and something goes wrong I will be up the creek without a paddle. Sorry, that's just how my brain works.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.