RobertI

Visa Waiver and K-1 in USA

4 posts in this topic

This may seem like a silly question but I'm not exactly clear about the info regarding K-1 and visa waivers. My fiance plans to enter the US on a visa waiver and then we will fill out the I-129 paperwork while she is here. I know she has to return to her home country to finish the visa procedure (for the interview, medical exam and so on) but is there any problem at all if she's here legally on a visa waiver and then we do the I-129 while she's here, as long as she returns on time?

Thanks so much!

I-129F Sent: 03/12/2007

I-129F Received: 03/15/2007

NOA1 dated: 03/20/2007

"Touched?": 03/23/2007

NOA1 arrived: 03/24/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No thats what me and my fiancee did, He came here in Sept we filed the K1 in Oct and He went back to the UK Dec 4th. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it this way as long as she doesnt overstay on the VWP. Also on the I-129f it will ask you if your fiancee is currently in the USA just mark yes and enter her depart number as it shows in her passport or on the I-94 in the appropiate spot on the form.

Scott and Misty Offcial Webpage!

How does it happen, Great love?... Noone knows.. But I what I do know is it happens in a blink of an eye. One minutes your happily living your life and the next your wondering how you ever lived without them.

*I-129f sent* 10-31-2006

*I-129f recieved at VSC* 11-02-2006

*NOA1* 11-03-2006

*Check Cashed/Touched* 11-09-2006

*Touched* 11-15-2006

*Touched* 11-16-2006

*RFE email notice* 12-05-2006

*RFE snail mail* 12-11-2006

*RFE mailed back overnight* 12-12-2006

*RFE recieved VSC* 12-13-2006

*Touched* 12-14-2006

*Touched* 12-15-2006

*Touched* 12-18-2006

*Touched* 12-19-2006

*NOA2 email* 01-25-2007

*Touched* 01-26-2007

*Case Recieved at NVC* 01-29-2007

*Case Sent to London Embassy* 01-30-2007

*Fiance Recieves Packet 3* 02-10-2007

*Fiance Mails Back Packet 3* 02-12-2007

*Medical* 02-21-2007

*Mailed Packet 3 (2nd Time)* 03-09-07

*Delivery Confirmation Embassy Recieved it* 03-12-07

*Recieved Packet 4* 03-19-2007

*Interview Date* 04-20-2007 *APPROVED*

Soon to Come

*arrival in the US* 05-03-2007

*Official Marriage* 05-12-2007

*Big Wedding for Family/Friends* 7-14-2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, there shouldn't be a problem, and in fact it will be a nice project for the two of you to work on together. She still maintains a permanent address outside of the US, and once you submit the I-129f and your petition is approved, it will be forwarded to the US Consulate in her home country for the rest of the processing. She will have to return home to continue the K-1 process, so as there is no intent to remain in the US, there is no problem if she is in the US for a visit while you prepare and submit the initial paperwork. The only problem with being in the US on a visa waiver program is if she used it to enter the US with the intent to get married and then remain in the US to have her status adjusted to permanent resident from within the US. She could even get married while on the visa waiver as long as she has no intention of staying in the US afterwards to adjust her status and does leave the country to continue processing her visa from outside of the US. Good luck!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's exactly what we did when we were going thru the K-1 process. I stayed with my fiance in the U.S., but kept a residence in Canada (my adult son still lived there). I would return to Canada periodically to visit and take care of some business, etc., but I was with my fiance in Washington state most of the time while waiting for our approval (which took a very long time for some unknown reason).

I did start getting asked for proof of ties to Canada, such as mortgage/lease documents, but I could not produce recent pay stubs as I was not working anymore. So, I was very thankful when we got our approval and I could move to the U.S. permanently.

But, if your fiance wants to come for one visit while the processing is being completed, there shouldn't be any problem, as long as she leaves the U.S. and returns to her home country before the Visa waiver expires and of course, to do her medical and interview.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.