Buttons

Name Check

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where do I get the name check in Canada. What do I ask for exactly? and How much does it cost? Do I need one for my maiden name, ex name, and new married name

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

go to a RCMP office near you and ask for a "Canada Wide Name Check or Search" .... I am not sure about the name thing.... I am pretty sure I used my married name but I think they asked for my maiden name....

the paper you get does have to say RCMP on it somewhere....

and the cost varies depending on where you live, I think... I paid about 30 bucks and I got 2 copies.....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good info from Marilyn!! Phone ahead and see if your local RCMP detachment do them, majority of them do. If your in the greater Toronto area, the Commisionaires do them. http://www.commissionaires.ca/

Some RCMP detachements take 20 minutes to get the check done, some take up to a week or so. Some charge $$$, some do not, and many look different. Soem include a picture of yourself, some do not!! I believe you have to get it done with al names, so if you have changed your name, you may have to get it done with that as well, not sure as I have never changed my name. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
go to a RCMP office near you and ask for a "Canada Wide Name Check or Search" .... I am not sure about the name thing.... I am pretty sure I used my married name but I think they asked for my maiden name....

and the cost varies depending on where you live, I think... I paid about 30 bucks and I got 2 copies.....

Thanks for the help. Do they charge for each name. As i was previously married, my maiden name and my new name. I am in the Niagara Region

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the help. Do they charge for each name. As i was previously married, my maiden name and my new name. I am in the Niagara Region

No, it don't think they charge per name. When you fill out the request form, you have to indicate if you have gone by any other names (married names, etc), and they do the name search check based on that.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
yeah, what Cassie said... My name check was done in my married name and they only did one check

Okay, thanks for the great info. If there is a name hit will I know then? I have no record but what happens if there is someone with the same name who does.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.