OkieGuitarist

Criminal record timeframe question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, All.

I am finally at the stage where I am going to start the DS-260 online process. (I am mentally motivating myself for this, as I have seen a sample of it, and it looked rather complex. But I have faith in myself! Haha)

At the same time, I want to gather the supporting civil documents that the NVC will need. I have almost everything here (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.) because of course, I kept these from the I-130 process.

My wife (currently in Slovakia) also sent me her criminal records (police certificate) at that time. She has a clean record, but since I started this process last summer, this document is almost a year old.

But (and I think I already know the answer to this) will I need her to get an updated criminal record check to send to me? I am assuming that particular document needs to be more recent (within six months?), since it states that it needs to "cover the entire period of the applicant’s residence in that area" on the State Department's visa page. Thanks very much!

Take care!

This is embassy or consulate specific. Some will only accept police certificates that are less than 3 months old and others will accept them for a year or more. You might do better to look at the embassy or consulate's website. To be safe it's always best to have it less than a year old at interview. She may also be able to obtain and bring a new one to interview if the NVC accepts the one you currently have for her.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

does the national visa center needs a police certificate of my husband ??????

Of the beneficiary. If your husband is the beneficiary then yes. If he is the USC then no.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.