Janelle2002

BELIEFS ABOUT THE POOR ARE MIRED IN FLAWED STEREOTYPES

55 posts in this topic

Poverty doesn't know green, that's for damn sure.

#truth.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

If we want to have a great society I believe we need to show compassion for the least amongst us. Republicans care more about a fetus and a group of cells than they do about the welfare of a child born into poverty.

And for the record not only do I respect Rev. Al Sharpton but I admire him greatly for the work he has done in his life in regards to Civil Rights.

Ow, I completely respect him. I just don't like it when people think every time he says something he speaks for all black people. Just like when one black person commits a crime all black people committed the crime.

I did not agree with labeling black people African Americans because Caucasians do not have hyphenated names. There is no British-American and so on for other whites whose families have been in the U.S. for several generations.

Poverty knows no color. But it's more feasible to focus on urban groups rather than rural areas. This keeps up the narrative about most minorities.

Of course lets not focus on rural areas, because those people are not brown or black. I have seen some people in rural areas that look straight out of the Hills Have Eyes or Wrong Turn.

Ow, I completely respect him. I just don't like it when people think every time he says something he speaks for all black people. Just like when one black person commits a crime all black people committed the crime.

I did not agree with labeling black people African Americans because Caucasians do not have hyphenated names. There is no British-American and so on for other whites whose families have been in the U.S. for several generations.

Of course lets not focus on rural areas, because those people are not brown or black. I have seen some people in rural areas that look straight out of the Hills Have Eyes or Wrong Turn.

I used to say African American, but now I just say black. Because we don't call white people European American. The problem is folks tend to generalize. That's why I get upset when as a black muslim I have to be held responsible for every act some terrorist douche bag commits and whatever crime a black person does, yet the same is never true when folks are gunned down.

I've seen some backwoods that I'm more afraid of than any urban neighborhoods.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Its a little odd to reference a city that suffered a nuclear attack don't you think?

NO, it is not odd at all.

If you think about in 1945 one city was destroyed by a atom bomb, the other was one of the nicest cities in the world, with a thriving economy, every expression of art, culture and architect.

Today one would think Detroit was the war-zone with the body count and the ground laid to waste.

Imagine if you would what Detroit would look like if there were no propping up by Gov't, the people alone were responsible for themselves and their city... scary thought huh?

The fathers of Detroit built a city from nothing and made it a shining example of human achievement.... in just a few decades it resembles a war zone complete with monthly body count.

The people of Detroit can not even maintain the gift that was handed to them.

Philadelphia, Birmingham, Baltimore, Memphis and others are up and coming examples of the same fate.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

If you think about in 1945 one city was destroyed by a atom bomb, the other was one of the nicest cities in the world, with a thriving economy, every expression of art, culture and architect.

Today one would think Detroit was the war-zone with the body count and the ground laid to waste.

Imagine if you would what Detroit would look like if there were no propping up by Gov't, the people alone were responsible for themselves and their city... scary thought huh?

The fathers of Detroit built a city from nothing and made it a shining example of human achievement.... in just a few decades it resembles a war zone complete with monthly body count.

Philadelphia, Birmingham, Baltimore, Memphis and others are up and coming examples of the same fate.

We know, black people are to blame, thanks Al. Or are you Jesse? Jinx, which one is he? I get him and Lost mixed up.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The writer in the article you posted has an issue with Paul Ryan using the term "inner city" From the article:

If we were to have an honest conversation, one based on verifiable facts, hard data and empirical evidence, we wouldn't use the inartful term "inner city," as GOP star Paul Ryan did recently -- serving up a phrase that suggests that poverty is primarily a condition limited to darker-hued citizens. That's simply incorrect.

I was merely pointing out the double standard. Obama, Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson routinely use that term when it suits their narrative. For some reason the writer didn't point that out. She must be a racist.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

I used to say African American, but now I just say black. Because we don't call white people European American. The problem is folks tend to generalize. That's why I get upset when as a black muslim I have to be held responsible for every act some terrorist douche bag commits and whatever crime a black person does, yet the same is never true when folks are gunned down.

Most people wouldn't know a Muslim or Middle Eastern person if one was standing in their face. After 911 im walking in the mall and these people come up and call my friend a Muslim, Arabic b####. She started crying and said she wasnt Arabic she was Indian. This is Memphis, so nothing new there.

Most people wouldn't know a Muslim or Middle Eastern person if one was standing in their face. After 911 im walking in the mall and these people come up and call my friend a Muslim, Arabic b####. She started crying and said she wasnt Arabic she was Indian. This is Memphis, so nothing new there.

They all look the same to them. It's sad to see folks act so hateful.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Why not name some of these too white areas covered up in crime and poverty so we can compare?

The reason Urban Blacks stand out so starkly is the attention they draw to themselves with unreal levels of Gov't dependency and all sorts of crime and social disfunction in these areas.

This does not represent "Black America" but it does represent Urban Black America. Whites who experience all the same negative traits and dependencies are not so clustered together.... so they escape this stereo type.

And lets not forget, stereo types are almost always based in part on a reality...... which is why they endure.

I mean where is the stereo type that Jewish guys are great dancers?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Why not name some of these too white areas covered up in crime and poverty so we can compare?

The reason Urban Blacks stand out so starkly is the attention they draw to themselves with unreal levels of Gov't dependency and all sorts of crime and social disfunction in these areas.

This does not represent "Black America" but it does represent Urban Black America. Whites who experience all the same negative traits and dependencies are not so clustered together.... so they escape this stereo type.

And lets not forget, stereo types are almost always based in part on a reality...... which is why they endure.

I mean where is the stereo type that Jewish guys are great dancers?

It must hurt to have a real life conversation with you. My comment was about places like Branson, Mo and the Ozarks. Places where folks like me can disappear without a trace, and no one cares. To this day, my family refuses to go out around there at night.

You can't compare our cities to yours. The advantages you have are too numerous to count. You actually believe we are on the same playing field and we squander what's given to us.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Al Sharpton......

wow, I remember 20 years ago when he lied about a girl being raped, just to promote himself and his personal agenda (and his wallet)....

and now he is a respected civil rights leader with a show on MSNBC.. :rofl::rofl:

Edited by BatmanUSA

Filed: Timeline

But wasn't Nagasaki propped up by government as well? I think it took about until the late 1950s for it to reach its prewar population.

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

The writer in the article you posted has an issue with Paul Ryan using the term "inner city" From the article:

I was merely pointing out the double standard. Obama, Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson routinely use that term when it suits their narrative. For some reason the writer didn't point that out. She must be a racist.

I don't have a problem with inner city or urban area. Here's the issue:

When Obama, Jesse or Al use the word, they're talking to who? Black people. If hard work is utilized, it's along the lines of go to school, work hard, and you can achieve great things. This is what they say when they speak to black people as a whole. The core message is a good one. Now, let's look at what the GOP does.

When Paul Ryan or anyone else uses the same language, it comes off as insulting because they say things like lazy blacks, no work ethic, or black people on welfare scam the system. According to them, the opportunity is there, we're just too lazy or stupid to understand it. This is why the GOP has to spend millions of dollars trying to connect with minority voters. They can't seem to grasp the simple concept of finding out what those voters and and trying to work with them.

Al Sharpton......

wow, I remember 20 years ago when he lied about a girl being raped, just to promote himself and his personal agenda (and his wallet)....

and now he is a respected civil rights leader with a show on MSNBC.. :rofl::rofl:

Actually, if anyone lied it was the girl. Not sure why Al would be blamed for that...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg