Michele1003

problems getting my dual citizen child a mexican passport

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My daughter is 2 and a half and was born in Tlaxcala Mexico. She has dual citizenship there and here. When she got her birth certificate in Mexico, they guy made a mistake and wrote that I was "Mexican" I am NOT Mexican at all. Well I was able to get my daughter her US passport in the consulate in Guadalajara since we had moved there. When we flew out of Guadalajara they asked for her visa at the check in station and I told them she didn't had one because she was born in Mexico. They told me to go to immigration in the airport and I showed her birth certificate and they gave her a visa right then like she had entered and was returned that day. Well now I am trying to get her a Mexican passport here in Miami and they told me I couldn't without her fathers consent. Her father lives in Mexico and can not come back into the United states and that's why I want a Mexican passport for my daughter because we are moving there till he can return. He went to fill out the paper for his consent in Tlaxcala and they told him they couldn't because her birth certificate states I am Mexican when I am not. So now they are saying I need to send my passport and birth certificate and have to do all this stuff to get a new one and prove I am her mother. Sorry this is so long but I guess what I'm asking Is it REALLY necessary to get her a Mexican passport to stay in Mexico since she didn't have one before?? They want a lot of stuff to get her new birth certificate and I would just assume do it there once I get there instead of before. But if she really does need the passport to enter mexico and stay then I have to do it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello Michelle1003.

I know how hard it is to deal with the Mexican Consulate!! I am not an expert, but what I would do is send the paperwork they ask and fix her original Mexican birth certificate. :(

If your husband already talked to the Registrar/"Registro Civil" in Tlaxcala, that would be the easiest way to have the certificate amended. Once that is fixed, your husband will be able to go to the closest Consulate or Passport office in the area to sign the fathers consent so you can proceed with the rest of the passport process. Now, I am just wondering, if you want to leave the US by air then you need her Mexican passport, have you thought about leaving by land? When I leave the US thru Tijuana, they never ask me for my mexican passport!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not sure about Mexico, but a child is free to enter, but in other Latin American countries, not free to leave without permission from that other biological parent with the exact date and flight number. Just saying something to check into.

Also had problems with my stepdaughter's birth certificate in Venezuela, was loaded with typos that could only be corrected in their court of law. This could take years to do, but could be done the next day if an "expedient fee" was paid to the judge by a money transfer to his Miami bank account. Was either doing this or waiting years. How is Mexico on this subject?

Can only ask why you didn't get her birth certificate corrected immediately.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You should go through all the trouble it takes to correct the birth certificate so that she will have a correct birth certificate, forever.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.