gedaa86

To wait until Flu season is over or Not to wait, please advise

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

Ok, my husband's ds-3025 sheet is not complete as he is missing the Tdap and also the date for MMR is not written. We are going to a civil surgeon, but now (March 13) is still considered flu season. The thing is I am terrified of flu shots, I am afraid he's going to get sick and also that I will get sick and I am pregnant. It's a phobia from the vaccine thinking that each time you take it you actually get it, and everyone around me has had that reaction.

My question is, should I go ahead and subscribe it to the I-693 without the flu shot thinking that when they actually get to the case the flu season will be done?

or wait for 17 days and then do it on April 1st?

Thanks and waiting for your advise

Thanks

Edited by gedaa86

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Wait and get the I-693 dated after flu season so the flu shot will not be a requirement.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Wait and get the I-693 dated after flu season so the flu shot will not be a requirement.

Hey Kay. I'm confused on the flu shot. I thought that the flu shot was required if the MEDICAL had been performed during flu season.

Am I mistaken?

But I'm reading other things stating that a flu shot isn't required as long as the I-485 is adjudicated AFTER flu season.

We haven't gotten his flu shot so I'm not sure which route to go: get it, then go see the civil surgeon OR don't get the flu shot and still see the civil surgeon for the I-693

Can you please clarify this for me?

Thanks!

(my fiancé had his medical in Ciudad Juarez late October 2013 and his vaccinations done in his home city, and although it was flu season, he didn't receive the shot because they didn't have them available)

Timeline

The medical and the vaccinations are really separate things as vaccinations are not required to get the K-1 visa and enter the US, so no vaccinations were required at the time of the K-1 medical. That is why Juarez just skips them for K-1 applicants. They are required for AOS though.

No new medical is needed if the K-1 medical was done within a year, but the vaccinations must all meet the AOS requirements So, if you see a civil surgeon to get an I-693, then that new date that the CS signs off on the I-693 and your vaccinations will be the date used. So, if you see the CS during flu season, then you are required to have the flu shot and have it listed by the CS on the I-693 as being completed and the date it was given. If you see a CS outside of flu season, then the flu shot is not required at that time.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The medical and the vaccinations are really separate things as vaccinations are not required to get the K-1 visa and enter the US, so no vaccinations were required at the time of the K-1 medical. That is why Juarez just skips them for K-1 applicants. They are required for AOS though.

No new medical is needed if the K-1 medical was done within a year, but the vaccinations must all meet the AOS requirements So, if you see a civil surgeon to get an I-693, then that new date that the CS signs off on the I-693 and your vaccinations will be the date used. So, if you see the CS during flu season, then you are required to have the flu shot and have it listed by the CS on the I-693 as being completed and the date it was given. If you see a CS outside of flu season, then the flu shot is not required at that time.

So because no vaccines were required for K1 for Ciudad Juarez, the following does not apply?

(from USCIS website)

-For purposes of the immigration medical examination, the flu season starts on October 1 and ends on March 31 each year. If your immigration medical examination is during this period, you are required to have the seasonal flu vaccine.-

Timeline

The info from the USCIS site about civil surgeons and the vaccinations(linked to below) are geared towards those getting their medical exam and vaccinations from the civil surgeon at the same time, and not those adjusting from a K-1, who have their medical exam done by a panel physician. You can have your exam done by the panel physician and the vaccinations and an I-693 done separately by a civil surgeon here in the US. This is the reason there are special instructions for a K-1 adjustment applicant in the I-485 and I-693 instructions.

If the CS fills out your I-693 and does your vaccinations transcription/assessment when it is not flu season, then you will not be required to get the flu shot at that time.

Many people get all their vaccinations done at the same time as the K-1 and get them all marked off a DS-3025 and never even need to see a civil surgeon for an I-693. I wish Juarez offered that option.

These Questions and Answers provide basic information about the general vaccination requirements for immigrants (including individuals seeking adjustment of status), and specifically about the assessment made by the civil surgeon to determine whether an applicant meets the vaccination requirements. These Questions and Answers do not address the vaccination assessments conducted by panel physicians overseas.

http://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

Timeline

The info from the USCIS site about civil surgeons and the vaccinations(linked to below) are geared towards those getting their medical exam and vaccinations from the civil surgeon at the same time, and not those adjusting from a K-1, who have their medical exam done by a panel physician. You can have your exam done by the panel physician and the vaccinations and an I-693 done separately by a civil surgeon here in the US. This is the reason there are special instructions for a K-1 adjustment applicant in the I-485 and I-693 instructions.

If the CS fills out your I-693 and does your vaccinations transcription/assessment when it is not flu season, then you will not be required to get the flu shot at that time.

Many people get all their vaccinations done at the same time as the K-1 and get them all marked off a DS-3025 and never even need to see a civil surgeon for an I-693. I wish Juarez offered that option.

Thanks so much Kay! I was confused but you've cleared it up for me. I second that about Ciudad Juarez, it would be soooo much easier. The trick now is to find a CS that won't rip us off.

We've already located one that charges $60 to transcribe, and I honestly feel that's the cheapest we're gonna find.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Ok, my husband's ds-3025 sheet is not complete as he is missing the Tdap and also the date for MMR is not written. We are going to a civil surgeon, but now (March 13) is still considered flu season. The thing is I am terrified of flu shots, I am afraid he's going to get sick and also that I will get sick and I am pregnant. It's a phobia from the vaccine thinking that each time you take it you actually get it, and everyone around me has had that reaction.

My question is, should I go ahead and subscribe it to the I-693 without the flu shot thinking that when they actually get to the case the flu season will be done?

or wait for 17 days and then do it on April 1st?

Thanks and waiting for your advise

Thanks

Hi,

My wife's DS-3025 was incomplete as well and because she was missing 3 vaccinations. Tdap, chickenpox, and flu shot. We went to the local board of health and got the chickenpox and flu shot but couldn't get the Tdap because the time interval wasn't long enough between the Td and Tdap. We then went to a civil surgeon and had the I-693 filled out and he gave her a waiver for the Tdap. When we went to the interview they never asked for the I-693 so I guess in the end she didn't need them after all? So if you don't want the flu vaccination I would just wait a few days and then file.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.