stevensane

Letter to Student Loan Company

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am hoping someone here will have experience confirming change of circumstances with the Student Loans Company.

I am currently completing this form to inform the Student Loan Company of my move to the US. I will not be working until my work authorization comes through, so I need to provide them with one of the following:

• Clear photocopy of a bank statement dated within the last 3 months showing your name, address
and the funds you are living from
or
• A letter signed and dated by a 3rd party confirming they are financially supporting you
I don't think I can send them a photocopy of a bank statement as I don't yet have a US bank account and so that would be pointless.
My other option is have my fiancee write, sign and date a letter saying she will be supporting me. Has any body done this before? If so, what should the letter say? I was thinking something like this:
"To Whom it May Concern
I, [my fiancee], am writing to confirm that I am engaged to [me] and will be marrying him in April 2014 when he moves to the United States on a K-1 visa. I confirm that will be financially supporting him while he is applying for employment authorization."
Is that enough?? It is all the guidance the support document, here, gives, but it seems a little sparse!
I can't find any examples online, and first hand advice is always the best in my experience, so any help would be appreciated!

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

100px-Flag_of_Northumberland.svg.png

Adopted New Yorker

100px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

Met in London, UK - 8th October, 2010

Fiancee moved back to NYC - October 2011

Two year long-distance relationship

I-129f sent - 10th September 2013

I-129f NOA1 - 24th September 2013

NOA2 - 18th October 2013 (so fast!!)

DS-160 sent - 14th November 2013

Readiness form submitted - 4th January 2014

Medical examination - 13th January 2014

Interview date - 11th February 2014

Visa approved!

Entered the US at JFK - 30th March 2014

Married! - 25th April 2014

Mailed AOS package - 8th May 2014

Recieved NOA for AOS - 12th May 2014

EAD/AP approved - 23rd July 2014

Received EAD/AP - 31st July 2014

Began working again! - 1st August 2014

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

I am hoping someone here will have experience confirming change of circumstances with the Student Loans Company.

I am currently completing this form to inform the Student Loan Company of my move to the US. I will not be working until my work authorization comes through, so I need to provide them with one of the following:

• Clear photocopy of a bank statement dated within the last 3 months showing your name, address
or
• A letter signed and dated by a 3rd party confirming they are financially supporting you
I don't think I can send them a photocopy of a bank statement as I don't yet have a US bank account and so that would be pointless.
My other option is have my fiancee write, sign and date a letter saying she will be supporting me. Has any body done this before? If so, what should the letter say? I was thinking something like this:
"To Whom it May Concern
I, [my fiancee], am writing to confirm that I am engaged to [me] and will be marrying him in April 2014 when he moves to the United States on a K-1 visa. I confirm that will be financially supporting him while he is applying for employment authorization."
Is that enough?? It is all the guidance the support document, here, gives, but it seems a little sparse!
I can't find any examples online, and first hand advice is always the best in my experience, so any help would be appreciated!

I actually called the SLC to ask the exact same thing not long ago. They said that a letter to that effect would be fine :) I think I remember them saying that when you then find employment you have to re-send that same form stating your new employment details.

Clear photocopy of a bank statement dated within the last 3 months showing your name, address

or

A letter signed and dated by a 3rd party confirming they are financially supporting you

"To Whom it May Concern

I had to do that prior to moving here in July 2013. I completed the form and enclosed a signed letter from my fiancé stating that when I moved to the US we would be getting married and that he would be providing for me financially as I would have no income of my own. They accepted the letter without any problems. I got a letter back from th confirming that at present I don't need to make any payments and that should my circumstances change then I should inform them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I was so devastated when I found you were expected to pay it back even if abroad. Do you have to let them know as soon as you find a job in the US or as soon as you find a job that pays over the repayment threshold?

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

I actually called the SLC to ask the exact same thing not long ago. They said that a letter to that effect would be fine smile.png I think I remember them saying that when you then find employment you have to re-send that same form stating your new employment details.

Great, thanks!

I don't know if you have filled out this yet, but presumably I will have to complete the direct debit sheet for a bank account in the UK and leave some money in it in case they need to take any excess money you owe before you inform them you have a job. I also presume I am supposed to fill out my current address on page 1 and my address in the US on page 3. What do you think, does this seem correct?

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

Adopted New Yorker

Visa approved!

Timeline

I had to do that prior to moving here in July 2013. I completed the form and enclosed a signed letter from my fiancé stating that when I moved to the US we would be getting married and that he would be providing for me financially as I would have no income of my own. They accepted the letter without any problems. I got a letter back from th confirming that at present I don't need to make any payments and that should my circumstances change then I should inform them.

Great, thanks! Did you give them your address in the US and that is where they sent the letter? I ask because I am moving to the US in 3 weeks, so by the time anything they send to my address in the UK gets here I will be gone!

I was so devastated when I found you were expected to pay it back even if abroad. Do you have to let them know as soon as you find a job in the US or as soon as you find a job that pays over the repayment threshold?

As far as I can tell it is whenever you find a job and they will assess you on the basis of the income you are getting then.

Native Northumbrian

Adopted New Yorker

Visa approved!

Great, thanks! Did you give them your address in the US and that is where they sent the letter? I ask because I am moving to the US in 3 weeks, so by the time anything they send to my address in the UK gets here I will be gone!

As far as I can tell it is whenever you find a job and they will assess you on the basis of the income you are getting then.

Yes I gave them my US address and that's where they sent the letter. I only mailed the form a few days before I left the UK so I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Timeline

Yes I gave them my US address and that's where they sent the letter. I only mailed the form a few days before I left the UK so I'm sure you won't have any problems.

That is good to hear. Cheers!

Native Northumbrian

Adopted New Yorker

Visa approved!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Great, thanks!

I don't know if you have filled out this yet, but presumably I will have to complete the direct debit sheet for a bank account in the UK and leave some money in it in case they need to take any excess money you owe before you inform them you have a job. I also presume I am supposed to fill out my current address on page 1 and my address in the US on page 3. What do you think, does this seem correct?

Well it says that direct debit is the preferred method of repayment. It's not like when you work here and it comes straight out of your wages, you have to pay the amount yourself each month as you would with other bills, direct debit is just convenient. I don't think that you have to fill out the form if you intend to pay them by another method.

As far as I can make out, you put your US address on page 1. My reason for thinking that is the title of the form has "complete if overseas" in it, which makes me think that you fill in and send that form once you're in the US.

I'm assuming the change of address/name bit is only necessary if you then move again once in the US so that they have your up to date details. The contact details bit underneath that looks like it needs to be filled out either way though.

Hotter Otter, yes you have to let them know as soon as you get any job.

Timeline

Out of curiosity, how would they know you got a job in the US?

I paid for my tuition cash, but it does tweak my curiosity. I might actually ask my mate in the Student Loan call centre.

K1 AOS:

May 22nd: Sent away AOS package Day 1

May 27th: Notification via text/email confirming receiving package. Day 5

May 29th: NOA's recieved on 29th May Day 7

June 2nd: Biometrics appointment for June 16th arrives. Day 11

June 16th: Successful Biometrics. Day 24

Timeline

Out of curiosity, how would they know you got a job in the US?

I paid for my tuition cash, but it does tweak my curiosity. I might actually ask my mate in the Student Loan call centre.

Please do ask! I would also be curious to know! I would never risk trying to get away with not paying though. Don't want to be in arrears etc!

Native Northumbrian

Adopted New Yorker

Visa approved!

Timeline

If you want the response I received from my mate in the SLC, PM me. Stevensane I will message you shortly.

K1 AOS:

May 22nd: Sent away AOS package Day 1

May 27th: Notification via text/email confirming receiving package. Day 5

May 29th: NOA's recieved on 29th May Day 7

June 2nd: Biometrics appointment for June 16th arrives. Day 11

June 16th: Successful Biometrics. Day 24

That's the same kinda letter I sent and they wrote me back saying I didn't need to make any payments until December

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.