Marilyn.

US Passport Questions

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, my hubby has an appointment to get his first US passport on Saturday.... :thumbs:

We are planning on flying up to Canada sometime within the next couple of months... (sis-in-law offered to pay for my ticket as a gift for my dad and after my dad found out he said he would pay for my hubby's plane ticket.... My dad knows that this is the only way he is getting me up there :P)

I was just wondering about how long does it take to get a passport?.... it says 6 weeks....

We were planning on going at the end of February or beginning of March sometime... just not sure if the passport will get here in time... :unsure:

Also on the application it asks for dates of travel..... what if you don't know yet??

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Well, my hubby has an appointment to get his first US passport on Saturday.... :thumbs:

We are planning on flying up to Canada sometime within the next couple of months... (sis-in-law offered to pay for my ticket as a gift for my dad and after my dad found out he said he would pay for my hubby's plane ticket.... My dad knows that this is the only way he is getting me up there :P)

I was just wondering about how long does it take to get a passport?.... it says 6 weeks....

We were planning on going at the end of February or beginning of March sometime... just not sure if the passport will get here in time... :unsure:

Also on the application it asks for dates of travel..... what if you don't know yet??

Usually it is less that the 6 weeks, however since the new passport requirement rule for flying in and out of so-called border countries is going into effect 1/23/07 may take at least the six weeks, and maybe more. I saw an article on the web about it today. If you get it in right now you should be good to go by early March! Or, you could pay nearly twice as much and go for the expedited passport. I did that last year and had it within 5 days. Good luck!

Timeline

thanks for the info, julezabelle :thumbs:

am I right in thinking that with land crossings, you still don't need a passport??

Because I had the crazy idea of flying from LA to Bellingham, WA and then having someone pick us up from there.... the Bellingham airport is only about 50 miles from where my family lives in British Columbia, Canada, a little closer then the Vancouver International Airport in British Columbia...

and the plane ticket is a bit cheaper too :thumbs:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I sent mine regular (not expedite) and it took 2 1/2-3 weeks (don't remember exactly, but less than three I think).

I would put dates in for about a month from now....they don't actually care when you use it, but it might help you to get it faster... :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Timeline
I sent mine regular (not expedite) and it took 2 1/2-3 weeks (don't remember exactly, but less than three I think).

I would put dates in for about a month from now....they don't actually care when you use it, but it might help you to get it faster... :) M.

yeah but at the end of this month is when everyone flying to the US needs a passport so I am thinking that there is going to be quite a lot of people applying for passports so it might even take longer then the 6 weeks :unsure:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
thanks for the info, julezabelle :thumbs:

am I right in thinking that with land crossings, you still don't need a passport??

Because I had the crazy idea of flying from LA to Bellingham, WA and then having someone pick us up from there.... the Bellingham airport is only about 50 miles from where my family lives in British Columbia, Canada, a little closer then the Vancouver International Airport in British Columbia...

and the plane ticket is a bit cheaper too :thumbs:

For land crossings a passport is not yet needed, so you're plan would likely work! If you are going to apply for the passport, I would definitely get to the post office ASAP. Check out this article I found on the web:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111...007-953226.html

Its just so depressing that things have to be made so difficult. I think this new law is unnecessary.

Timeline

yeah, it says about 8 weeks altogether :unsure:

might have to go with my other plan...

i told my hubby about all this last summer and suggested that he should get a passport but when he found out that it cost about 100 bucks he deemed it unnecessary at the time... :P

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

Hey Marilyn,

Land and Sea crossings don't need extra ID (i.e. passport) until 2009, so the Bellingham option is definitely viable. Driver's License and birth certificate will do.

(and dangit, you made me log in from work just to tell you that....see how you are!)

Link to a news article for those that need one.

Disclaimer: I am a smart-a55. Anything I say can and will be used against you in whatever forum I so choose. My posts are based on my own perspective, and should not be taken as anything other than my own opinion. Any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is coincidental. Minimum system requirements are a human brain, version 1.0. Suggested system requirements are a human brain version 1.0 with a sense of humor and a logical thought processor above 1.0 beta. Should not be used by children. Hazardous when wet.

B3 5C 0C E2 91 8B 91 F8 7A 2C 7E E4 17 79 FA D6

I recently drove through NH (or VT? or Maine?) to Canada, and we both needed our passports. No longer allowing just a driver's license or other photo ID.

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Timeline
Hey Marilyn,

Land and Sea crossings don't need extra ID (i.e. passport) until 2009, so the Bellingham option is definitely viable. Driver's License and birth certificate will do.

(and dangit, you made me log in from work just to tell you that....see how you are!)

Link to a news article for those that need one.

:whistle:

yeah we did a land crossing last April and all hubby had to do was show his driver's license and birth certificate...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I recently drove through NH (or VT? or Maine?) to Canada, and we both needed our passports. No longer allowing just a driver's license or other photo ID.

That law is not officially on the books yet! Its still a "maybe in the future" thing. The dirty rats!!!!

Timeline

mmm, interesting :unsure:

arrgh, now that has thrown a wrench in my plans :P

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

arrgh, now that has thrown a wrench in my plans :P

No worries....here's the state department website with the good info Passport info link thingy.

Disclaimer: I am a smart-a55. Anything I say can and will be used against you in whatever forum I so choose. My posts are based on my own perspective, and should not be taken as anything other than my own opinion. Any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is coincidental. Minimum system requirements are a human brain, version 1.0. Suggested system requirements are a human brain version 1.0 with a sense of humor and a logical thought processor above 1.0 beta. Should not be used by children. Hazardous when wet.

B3 5C 0C E2 91 8B 91 F8 7A 2C 7E E4 17 79 FA D6

Timeline

found this here... TRAVEL.STATE.GOV

* January 23, 2007 – Passports, Merchant Mariner Documents (MMDs) or NEXUS Air cards would be required for all air travel from within the Western Hemisphere for citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda.

* January 1, 2008 – It is anticipated that on January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes may permit a later deadline, both the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to put all requirements in place by the original deadline. Advance notice will be provided to enable the public meet the land/sea border requirement.

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Print the law from the website that lists the acceptable forms of identification if they try to hassle you...although, knowing the customs agents, they'll just say they have absolute power to ask for whatever they want in order to feel comfortable allowing you back into the country. But seriously, if you respectfully tell them that you are familiar with the law they usually do back down from their intimidation tactics. I had an experience coming over the Peace Bridge with my So in July 06 where the guy tried to tell us under the VWP you could only come over up to 90 days in a 12 month period. When I explained to him how their website describes the VWP, he immediately stamped the I94 and let us go! Knowledge is power!!!!!