shelbyandroberto

DS160 completed - now what??

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I've been following this site since the beginning and it's been SUPER helpful for me and my fiance. He lives in El Salvador and we're so ready to have him home. We're currently stuck and don't know what to do! Please, please, please help us if you can. I'll try to keep this short.

1. We received our NOA2 on December 20, 2013.

2. We completed form DS-160 on January 10, 2014, as the approval letter asked us to do.

3. And now we're lost!

It's been 5 weeks since our NOA2 and we haven't heard anything. I've read on here that Packet 3 (what we're currently waiting for) can take forever to be sent or NEVER arrives. So I emailed a consulate in El Salvador today asking it to be sent to our email. I'm praying I get a response!

What's the next step?? Do we MAIL the confirmation page of the DS-160 to the US embassy in El Salvador? How do we keep moving forward to the medical exam and interview process?

Thank you in advance!

Shelby

April 15, 2012: Met in El Salvador
October 18, 2013: Engaged!!
October 26, 2013: I-129F filed
October 29, 2013: NOA1
December 2013: NOA2
March 12, 2014: Interview - APPROVED! (But missing one document - put in AP)
March 24, 2014: Embassy confirms they received missing document
April 16, 2014: Visa status says ISSUED!

April 29, 2014: Received email from ustraveldocs - visa ready for pickup

May 2014: My future hubby comes home!!

Thank you for the links, Jay-Kay. I appreciate the response!

I've read all of those links before except for the last one, where you register to pay the visa fee and schedule an interview. Forgive me for still not understanding, but it's OUR responsibility to schedule an interview??

I tried to register as a new user but it said "Your request cannot be processed at this time. The site administrator has been alerted." Hmmm :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you will schedule your own interview, at least that is how it is for most consulates I do not know the exact procedures for your consulate, just what I quickly saw when finding those links. You may need to wait for them to email you back to get instructions directly from them,

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

Have you called the Department of State to find out if the consulate has your packet? They won't send packet 3 until they physically have the file in hands. If they do, then just keep pestering them for the packet 3 via email. Once you get that, then you can mail the confirmation page of the DS-160 back to the embassy. I had to do this twice because it never arrived the first time and we lost about a month as a result. The DoS # is (202) 485-7600. Once they have your confirmation page they will contact you to schedule the medical and interview appointment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

DoS is no longer providing info about K-1 cases. You need to call the NVC to see if it has been sent to the consulate or not > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/477504-department-of-state-dos-nolonger-taking-inquiry-calls-on-k-1-visas/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thank you both for the information! My fiancé and I would truly still be in the dark with all of this without your help.

I emailed a consulate officer at the US embassy in El Salvador yesterday, asking for the next packet to be emailed to us. They responded within a day and said they needed our DS-160 confirmation page emailed to them first. I did that and they responded again within 2 hours, giving us our information to set up an interview.

And my fiancé just told me this afternoon that he FINALLY received documents in the mail from the embassy, what we've been waiting for the last 5 weeks.

I paid for our visa interview last night via pay pal, on ustraveldocs.com. $240. Had a moment of panic when I couldn't find the "MRV receipt number" to confirm I paid for it, which is how you set an interview. I called a few numbers for help and the gal on the phone said it's my "transaction ID" on pay pal, and I just have to wait 1 business day for it to work. Whew. I'm praying it works tonight when I get home.

Thank you once again for the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.