Olive25

Moving and bringing your belongings - what is taxed?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm just hoping to get more information on what is taxed when moving to the US.

- Currency: If I decide to take some cash with me ($5000.00) to deposit into my new account when I get set up, will I be taxed on the currency, money order, etc. when bringing it into the US?

- Car: I have a 2 year old Nissan that I am currently still making payments on. I have 0% finance and a car allowance at my company, so I never thought of paying it off in full… I'd like to keep my car and bring it over. I could keep the finance through my canadian account and transfer money, or perhaps I can change my billing to a new account through Nissan USA? But am I taxed on the car when bringing it over? I know I have to bring documentation from Nissan Canada that everything is up to standards.

- My belongings: clothes, furniture, electronics (all at least 2+ years old) like TV's/laptops, some kitchen appliances (my kitchen aid mixer). I don't have receipts anymore for most of them, since they're all a few years old…

With all the immigration fee's and us having to pay double taxes for my e-ring (US/CAN taxes), I just want to make sure that we're planning ahead for any costs so that it's not unexpected.

Thank you!

Have ypu checked out the cbp website? If youre immigrating to the USA you dont pay taxes any belongings and up to ten years to move them. As far as I understand you need a compliance letter or a specific sticker on your nissan to import it, and cash under 10k is fine.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Talk to your bank who the financing is through. I'm in the same boat with my car. Who knows they may be able to transfer it to a us affiliate bank, or you may have to look into other options. Don't wait til last minute just in case.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Talk to your bank who the financing is through. I'm in the same boat with my car. Who knows they may be able to transfer it to a us affiliate bank, or you may have to look into other options. Don't wait til last minute just in case.

This is exactly what we're trying not to do… It looks like, if there are no hiccups, the move will take place just before the summer. I'd like to keep the car since I'd be losing money on selling it at this point.

Timeline

Not saying sell your car. But you may not be able to import it if the title isn't free and clear. For example, (sorry on a mobile device) if someone in your province was to do a personal property registry (ppr) search on your vin, they'd see your bank as an interested party. And you may not be able to import it.

Hence why I say talk to your bank see what your options are.

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

May 5, 2014 - Medical

I'm just hoping to get more information on what is taxed when moving to the US.

- Currency: If I decide to take some cash with me ($5000.00) to deposit into my new account when I get set up, will I be taxed on the currency, money order, etc. when bringing it into the US?

- Car: I have a 2 year old Nissan that I am currently still making payments on. I have 0% finance and a car allowance at my company, so I never thought of paying it off in full… I'd like to keep my car and bring it over. I could keep the finance through my canadian account and transfer money, or perhaps I can change my billing to a new account through Nissan USA? But am I taxed on the car when bringing it over? I know I have to bring documentation from Nissan Canada that everything is up to standards.

- My belongings: clothes, furniture, electronics (all at least 2+ years old) like TV's/laptops, some kitchen appliances (my kitchen aid mixer). I don't have receipts anymore for most of them, since they're all a few years old…

With all the immigration fee's and us having to pay double taxes for my e-ring (US/CAN taxes), I just want to make sure that we're planning ahead for any costs so that it's not unexpected.

Thank you!

1. Currency - you can bring up to $10000 in cash across the border without having to pay anything extra. You may need to pay income taxes on it or something, but nothing at the border.

2. Car - I don't know how it works if you are still paying for the car, because if you are, the car doesn't totally belong to you yet. There will be some kind of charge for importing the car, but probably less than $200. It would cost more the other way around, since the car is worth more in Canada than it is in the US (especially if it's marked in KM (speedometer and odometer) - makes it virtually unsellable in the US). You will also have to pay to have the car re-inspected in the state you move to (cost and how in-depth the inspection is will vary by state).

If you are going to continue to make payments on the car, you'll have to do it through your Canadian bank, because you won't have a credit rating yet in the US, probably.

3. I don't think there will be much in the way of import fees on any of your household goods (just be sure to be really OCD in listing and labelling everything that is in each box etc.) Again, almost everything you've bought in Canada cost more to buy in Canada than it would have done in the US. I'm sure there's a ceiling on how much you can bring in without penalty, but you'd have to do a more involved internet search for that... I know I did find that information once, but I haven't looked for it in awhile.

Ooh! Actually here's something!

Your household goods and personal effects are permitted to enter the U.S.duty-free providing they have been in your possession and used by you for at least one year.

Cautionary note - if you do not declare new items or understate the value of the items, U.S. Customs can confiscate the items and assess duties and a monetary penalty. If you will be making purchases of expensive items prior to your move you may want to compare the cost to purchasing the item(s) in the United States.

Antiques must be 100 years or older to be eligible for duty-free entry. Customs will require that you prove this, so be prepared to furnish a receipt or an appraisal.

While it is not normal practice to charge duty on used personal items, some items such as photographic equipment, vehicles, consumable items etc. may be dutiable. Check with the nearest U.S. Consulate in your area for specific information. If you are already in the U.S, contact your nearest Customs Office listed in U.S. telephone directory under: U.S. Government Offices, Treasury Department.

This came from the Atlas Moving company's webpage. Here's the link:

http://www.atlasvanlines.ca/cross-border-moving-canada-to-usa.html

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Not saying sell your car. But you may not be able to import it if the title isn't free and clear. For example, (sorry on a mobile device) if someone in your province was to do a personal property registry (ppr) search on your vin, they'd see your bank as an interested party. And you may not be able to import it.

Hence why I say talk to your bank see what your options are.

You're right, I called the company and there's no 'easy way' to transfer your finance.

I can get a car loan in Canada and pay it down but I wouldn't be able to keep that 0% financing. Or I can contact a dealership in the US and re-apply for financing… my warranty and everything will be valid whether I'm in Canada or the US, but getting the financial part figured out is going to be more work. I'm thinking I'll try and find someone to take over the finance payments and I'll pay the documentation fee's etc.

If I can't sell my car eventually… in the next 4-5 years even when we decide to upgrade to a bigger vehicle, then there really is no point in me taking it with me.

1. Currency - you can bring up to $10000 in cash across the border without having to pay anything extra. You may need to pay income taxes on it or something, but nothing at the border.

2. Car - I don't know how it works if you are still paying for the car, because if you are, the car doesn't totally belong to you yet. There will be some kind of charge for importing the car, but probably less than $200. It would cost more the other way around, since the car is worth more in Canada than it is in the US (especially if it's marked in KM (speedometer and odometer) - makes it virtually unsellable in the US). You will also have to pay to have the car re-inspected in the state you move to (cost and how in-depth the inspection is will vary by state).

If you are going to continue to make payments on the car, you'll have to do it through your Canadian bank, because you won't have a credit rating yet in the US, probably.

3. I don't think there will be much in the way of import fees on any of your household goods (just be sure to be really OCD in listing and labelling everything that is in each box etc.) Again, almost everything you've bought in Canada cost more to buy in Canada than it would have done in the US. I'm sure there's a ceiling on how much you can bring in without penalty, but you'd have to do a more involved internet search for that... I know I did find that information once, but I haven't looked for it in awhile.

Ooh! Actually here's something!

Your household goods and personal effects are permitted to enter the U.S.duty-free providing they have been in your possession and used by you for at least one year.

Cautionary note - if you do not declare new items or understate the value of the items, U.S. Customs can confiscate the items and assess duties and a monetary penalty. If you will be making purchases of expensive items prior to your move you may want to compare the cost to purchasing the item(s) in the United States.

Antiques must be 100 years or older to be eligible for duty-free entry. Customs will require that you prove this, so be prepared to furnish a receipt or an appraisal.

While it is not normal practice to charge duty on used personal items, some items such as photographic equipment, vehicles, consumable items etc. may be dutiable. Check with the nearest U.S. Consulate in your area for specific information. If you are already in the U.S, contact your nearest Customs Office listed in U.S. telephone directory under: U.S. Government Offices, Treasury Department.

This came from the Atlas Moving company's webpage. Here's the link:

http://www.atlasvanlines.ca/cross-border-moving-canada-to-usa.html

Thank you for this! I have a chest from my grandmother… no idea how old it is or what the value could potentially be. I better get it appraised.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My DH had a car he was still paying on when he imported. We just kept making payments to Canada through aft. We sent money to his Canadian account each month to cover the withdrawal.

My DH had a car he was still paying on when he imported. We just kept making payments to Canada through aft. We sent money to his Canadian account each month to cover the withdrawal.

That's interesting. They said I couldn't physically take the car to the US unless the title in Canada was clear. I could continue to pay the car through my Canadian account too.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Probably one of those areas where it is a bit grey. Best to contact the bank and see what they have to say as well find out what the DMV requires in the State you are moving to.

When bringing $$$ over $10,000, all one is doing is notifying the authorities, they are just looking out for $$ laundering. If you make it online, the financial institution makes the report for you. When traveling with it, there is a spot on the customs forms to notify authorities

On my inventory list I put down the items and if they were under a year I made mention of it. They barely even looked at my list, and never inspected my Uhaul and I did not pay any duty on anything and that is pretty much how it seems to go for most.

And many manufactures warranties are no longer valid when you move to another country, even from Canada to the USA. Yes they will do recall work, but not warranty issued stuff! Many people don't realize that. When I bought my 2011 Honda CRV and knew we were moving to Nicaragua for a few yrs--the honda salesman told me--oh of course your warranty will be covered there as Honda is a global country! WRONG!! I called up Honda and the lady said nope!!! So if a salesman told you that it would be covered, it may not be.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yep on that. The dealership told me the extended warranty would still be good - I'd just have to register with the dealership in Cali.

Mazda North America however...notified me that nope that's not the case.

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep on that. The dealership told me the extended warranty would still be good - I'd just have to register with the dealership in Cali.

Mazda North America however...notified me that nope that's not the case.

How do you know a car salesman is lying? they have opened their mouth!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.