theswede

AOS F-1 - address and living situation issues...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

hi all,

I've been scouring this forum for a while for information on the immigration process but figured it was time to post myself so that I could get some answers specific to my situation :)

some background info:

I first entered the US in 2008 on an F-1 visa. I completed my undergraduate degree at a university in Indiana in 2012 and finished my OPT in May of 2013. by then I'd been accepted to a graduate program so I went home for the summer and renewed my visa. I'm currently in the US as a graduate student at the University of Florida. my fiancé and I met in college 4 years ago and have been dating ever since. he is currently pursuing doctorate studies in Missouri.

technically I have 2.5 more years to finish my masters here but I'm considering leaving the program at the end of this spring semester. I feel like I dove into graduate studies too quickly and I'm not sure it's even what I want to do... I thought the education and degree would be worth the hardship of long distance (both from friends/family and my fiancé) but since I'm reconsidering my career path, I feel very unmotivated and can't possibly see myself living here, so far away from my fiancé, for another 2 years.

so we are considering getting married sooner than previously planned. the only reason we've been waiting is because we are both in school but since the situation have changed we figured why wait! :)

now.. our issues seems to be that of addresses and living situation. we are clearly separated right now and won't be able to live together until May at the earliest. I was hoping to start the AOS process as soon as possible so that I could get AP in time for the summer to visit my family and work for a month or so at home (we need the money and I need the experience!)

he would most likely use his parents address in Indiana as a mailing address because mail is a little iffy at his current shared residence and obviously we want to make sure we get everything! can I list that as well as "mine"? or should I list my current address in Florida even though it's temporary and may change before we get our interview? where will we receive the biometrics and interview appt? will our living apart situation be an issue?

thank you in advance for any insight you can give!

Our journey:

12/17/09 - Met for the first time!

03/07/10 - Officially became a couple

05/24/13 - Engaged

03/05/14 - Married! <3

AOS from F1:

04/02/14 - day 00 - 130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 sent via USPS

04/04/14 - day 02 - Arrival of AOS packet according to USPS tracking

04/13/14 - day 11 - Email/text receipt notification

04/14/14 - day 11 - Checks cashed

04/25/14 - day 25 - Biometrics appointment letter received (dated 04/16/14) for 05/13/14

05/01/14 - day 30 - Successful walk-in biometrics in Ft. Myers, FL

05/01/14 - day 30 - RFE (birth certificate)

05/23/14 - day 52 - RFE reply delivered

05/27/14 - day 56 - Status update: I-485 RFE response review

06/13/14 - day 73 - EAD/AP mailed
06/14/14 - day 74 - EAD/AP combo card delivered!

06/27/14 - day 87 - I-485 online status updated to Testing/Interview

07/10/14 - Received letter from local office that my interview reschedule request was granted

07/28/14 - Notice of rescheduled interview sent

10/07/14 - New interview notice received

11/25/14 - day 237 - Interview at St. Louis Field Office

11/25/14 - Status update: Card production ordered / welcome noticed mailed / I-130 approved!

The biometrics and Appt letters will come to your address that you list, not his. Please just be careful and tread wisely. Rumor has it that F1 visa is a little more scrutinized; and then with you guys living apart you should have lots of evidence of communication, trips, etc.

Maybe travel on AP just for emergency or a short period of time since you'll probably be going without your spouse. Just recently married and going to school in different states; it looks better that you decide to spend summer time together rather than being apart again.

Of course, everyone's case is different, am just advising basing on what I have seen happen to a couple of my friends who were in a situation as well. They took it lightly and it's led to years of misery with the immigration process.

A little sacrifice today and much less headache tomorrow.

11/01/13- Mailed AOS Package
11/03/13- USPS update- Package delivered
11/08/13- Texts received for acceptance of all 3 forms
11/13/13- Received NOAs for I-485 and I-765. No I-130?
11/18/13- Biometrics Appointment letter received
11/19/13- Successful biometrics walk in
11/27/13-Received RFE
12/16/13- Sent requested evidence
01/08/14- Case status changed to Testing and Interview
01/16/14-EAD received!

06/12/14- Interview. Approved on spot!

hi all,

I've been scouring this forum for a while for information on the immigration process but figured it was time to post myself so that I could get some answers specific to my situation smile.png

some background info:

I first entered the US in 2008 on an F-1 visa. I completed my undergraduate degree at a university in Indiana in 2012 and finished my OPT in May of 2013. by then I'd been accepted to a graduate program so I went home for the summer and renewed my visa. I'm currently in the US as a graduate student at the University of Florida. my fiancé and I met in college 4 years ago and have been dating ever since. he is currently pursuing doctorate studies in Missouri.

technically I have 2.5 more years to finish my masters here but I'm considering leaving the program at the end of this spring semester. I feel like I dove into graduate studies too quickly and I'm not sure it's even what I want to do... I thought the education and degree would be worth the hardship of long distance (both from friends/family and my fiancé) but since I'm reconsidering my career path, I feel very unmotivated and can't possibly see myself living here, so far away from my fiancé, for another 2 years.

so we are considering getting married sooner than previously planned. the only reason we've been waiting is because we are both in school but since the situation have changed we figured why wait! smile.png

now.. our issues seems to be that of addresses and living situation. we are clearly separated right now and won't be able to live together until May at the earliest. I was hoping to start the AOS process as soon as possible so that I could get AP in time for the summer to visit my family and work for a month or so at home (we need the money and I need the experience!)

he would most likely use his parents address in Indiana as a mailing address because mail is a little iffy at his current shared residence and obviously we want to make sure we get everything! can I list that as well as "mine"? or should I list my current address in Florida even though it's temporary and may change before we get our interview? where will we receive the biometrics and interview appt? will our living apart situation be an issue?

thank you in advance for any insight you can give!

- Your address is where you are sleeping at night the day you send the forms. His address is where he is sleeping at night the day you send the forms. The mailing addresses can be whatever you want.

- If you move at any point in the process, each of you two has to do two address updates. The intending immigrant has to do the update online (google uscis change of address) and then fill an AR-11 (electronically i think). The USC has to do the online thing and send an I-865 by snail mail.

- Hopefully, those changes of address are recorded correctly and you start receiving the stuff at the new place, and they update your situation in terms of where you will have the biometrics and the interview appointment. Having said that, I've seen that many times people move but the interview is scheduled for the previous spot, so you have to either travel back to have it or re-schedule.

- Living apart will come up in the interview probably, so you have to be prepared for it, but it is not a terribly uncommon thing I guess.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Franciscus - thank you for the information! knowing we can change the address helps. the best option may be to wait to file until we've found a place together but like I said, I really want to be able to travel and work as soon as possible after I'm done with this semester at school.

I figure the living apart situation will come up but since it's only temporary due to school and that our case seems pretty straight forward other than that I'm hoping it will be okay.

thanks again!

Our journey:

12/17/09 - Met for the first time!

03/07/10 - Officially became a couple

05/24/13 - Engaged

03/05/14 - Married! <3

AOS from F1:

04/02/14 - day 00 - 130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 sent via USPS

04/04/14 - day 02 - Arrival of AOS packet according to USPS tracking

04/13/14 - day 11 - Email/text receipt notification

04/14/14 - day 11 - Checks cashed

04/25/14 - day 25 - Biometrics appointment letter received (dated 04/16/14) for 05/13/14

05/01/14 - day 30 - Successful walk-in biometrics in Ft. Myers, FL

05/01/14 - day 30 - RFE (birth certificate)

05/23/14 - day 52 - RFE reply delivered

05/27/14 - day 56 - Status update: I-485 RFE response review

06/13/14 - day 73 - EAD/AP mailed
06/14/14 - day 74 - EAD/AP combo card delivered!

06/27/14 - day 87 - I-485 online status updated to Testing/Interview

07/10/14 - Received letter from local office that my interview reschedule request was granted

07/28/14 - Notice of rescheduled interview sent

10/07/14 - New interview notice received

11/25/14 - day 237 - Interview at St. Louis Field Office

11/25/14 - Status update: Card production ordered / welcome noticed mailed / I-130 approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.