y3ll0w

Taxes for Married couples- USC with non-green card holder

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on taxes a lot. My husband entered here on a K1 visa in November and we were married before Dec. 31, 2013. For taxes this year, we'd like to do married filing jointly. I read that you he, as a non-resident alien, could be considered a resident alien for tax purposes ONLY and that to do so, we'd have to attach a letter with our tax returns explaining various things about him to get him to qualify.

1- Has anyone ever done this? If so, what'd you do? Did you have any problems with the IRS later?
2- We fully intend to report the earnings he made abroad, but we have no W2s, 1099s, or receipts. What does one do in a case like that? Would a letter from his employer abroad be enough?

Any advice you'd give would be great.

Oh, and he has a social security number that I believe we'd be using for our taxes. We have applied for his green card but are still waiting.

Here's where I got my info in case others are in the same spot:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---Nonresident-Alien-Spouse

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Why not wait and file together next year?

We chose not to do it his year because of all the issues that may arise in the future with "treating the non-resident spouse as a US Resident." At this point filing taxes jointly is not required for immigration purposes; you'll have two years to do it before ROC... Just my opinion...

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Nonresident-Alien---Figuring-Your-Tax

Edited by mtcmk1

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Timeline

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on taxes a lot. My husband entered here on a K1 visa in November and we were married before Dec. 31, 2013. For taxes this year, we'd like to do married filing jointly. I read that you he, as a non-resident alien, could be considered a resident alien for tax purposes ONLY and that to do so, we'd have to attach a letter with our tax returns explaining various things about him to get him to qualify.

1- Has anyone ever done this? If so, what'd you do? Did you have any problems with the IRS later?

2- We fully intend to report the earnings he made abroad, but we have no W2s, 1099s, or receipts. What does one do in a case like that? Would a letter from his employer abroad be enough?

Any advice you'd give would be great.

Oh, and he has a social security number that I believe we'd be using for our taxes. We have applied for his green card but are still waiting.

Here's where I got my info in case others are in the same spot:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---Nonresident-Alien-Spouse

Thanks

It works fine. It is legal. I did it. Others have done it. We have threads on it every year. Publication 519 is the source of info if you are good at reading IRS language.

A few things---

The new spouse needs a SSN for easiest filing and since a K1 can get one, that shouldn't be a problem.

Form 2555 or 2555EZ is for taking the foreign income exclusion.

H&R Block and such employees are often clueless about this specialty case and just do a return like any married couple. No, the foreign income is reported, then the exclusion taken.

Your question about W2s...Foreign income is self-reported in US$ equivalent. No paper proof is submitted. Not required. Keep some notes of how you came up with the earnings and the conversion rate, just so you remember later.

The person who said wait until next year--

Your biggest advantage is this year. You basically are paying tax on only one income, but get the advantage of a spouse's additional deductions. Next year the spouse may be working and more income to be taxed on. This year the spouse isn't working (in the US) and the foreign income gets the exclusion. Not filing jointly means the USC has to file Married filing Separately, which you will find is going to cost you more in taxes. If married in 2013, even just the last day of the year, then you no longer can file as single.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

It works fine. It is legal. I did it. Others have done it. We have threads on it every year. Publication 519 is the source of info if you are good at reading IRS language.

A few things---

The new spouse needs a SSN for easiest filing and since a K1 can get one, that shouldn't be a problem.

Form 2555 or 2555EZ is for taking the foreign income exclusion.

H&R Block and such employees are often clueless about this specialty case and just do a return like any married couple. No, the foreign income is reported, then the exclusion taken.

Your question about W2s...Foreign income is self-reported in US$ equivalent. No paper proof is submitted. Not required. Keep some notes of how you came up with the earnings and the conversion rate, just so you remember later.

The person who said wait until next year--

Your biggest advantage is this year. You basically are paying tax on only one income, but get the advantage of a spouse's additional deductions. Next year the spouse may be working and more income to be taxed on. This year the spouse isn't working (in the US) and the foreign income gets the exclusion. Not filing jointly means the USC has to file Married filing Separately, which you will find is going to cost you more in taxes. If married in 2013, even just the last day of the year, then you no longer can file as single.

I looked at the 2555 and the 2555EZ- it says you can only use that form if you're a US Citizen or a resident alien. I know we want to consider him a resident alien for tax purposes, but he's not a US citizen or resident alien yet, so... do we even have rights to fill out that form?

I looked at the 2555 and the 2555EZ- it says you can only use that form if you're a US Citizen or a resident alien. I know we want to consider him a resident alien for tax purposes, but he's not a US citizen or resident alien yet, so... do we even have rights to fill out that form?

You each sign the statement (laid out nicely in Pub 519 for what to include) then VOILA! he is a resident alien for all purposes and forms to the IRS. You may disregard anything further discussing non-resident aliens as far as taxes goes if you make the election. That's what "treated as a resident alien for tax purposes" means. It of course changes nothing with USCIS.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

I gave my honest opinion based on what I knew was best for us-- I filed married, but seperately--that's what worked for us. Continue to read the threads from my second comment and make a decision. Whatever you do, good luck! :-)

Our K1 Process

Our AOS Process

Our ROC Process

Our {His} N-400 Process

• 1 month later...
Timeline

You each sign the statement (laid out nicely in Pub 519 for what to include) then VOILA! he is a resident alien for all purposes and forms to the IRS. You may disregard anything further discussing non-resident aliens as far as taxes goes if you make the election. That's what "treated as a resident alien for tax purposes" means. It of course changes nothing with USCIS.

Nich Nick, I filed. I tried sending you a message for some questions I had. It said you don't receive messages. Is there another way I can ask you?

I will check and see if I need to delete some messages. Maybe the quota is full.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.