cardinal

PR's occupation

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Burkina Faso
Timeline

We had great luck with the forums when preparing our K1 application and AOS. We are just starting to prepare for ROC and hoping someone can help with this.

My concern is my husband's (the PR) occupation. Since before he came to the US, he has been doing his PhD with a school in France. His thesis committee agreed to let him do it long distance (it's mostly data analysis and writing), so he lives in the US and travels to France and to his field site (in another country) from time to time. He is not employed in the US and has little to no income, which I assume will be evident when reviewing our tax returns. Could this be a red flag? We did not have an interview for AOS, so I am assuming we will have one this time around. We have plenty of evidence of financial commingling (joint accounts, lease agreement, life insurance, IRA, health and dental insurance, plus tax returns, affidavits, etc), I am just worried that they will think it is odd that he is doing his PhD at an institution in a different country. We do have a good rationale if the question comes up - it is only $500/year tuition in France and a much shorter degree than US universities.

Can someone tell me if I'm becoming paranoid, please?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I don't see how it will be a problem. You have a lot of really good evidence of a genuine relationship, far more than we had when we filed. Since he started the school before coming here they probably won't see it as odd. Lots of people do long distance schooling now. I wouldn't worry too much over it, I think the worst will be an RFE and interview but it might not even come to that. :)

I wish you the best with ROC!!

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Hello!

Here are my two cents. As long as you can prove that you are both actively involved in the marriage in terms of finances and where you resides, USCIS most likely will not care what kind of life you live. If you claim your spouse as a dependent on your tax return then it is evident that you have filed jointly (something, it seems, to hold a lot of weight amongst other things).

Looks like you have plenty of evidences so I wouldn't worry about it as much. But then again that doesn't mean an RFE or an interview won't happen - I just think the chances of you getting them is probably a lot less than others.

Good luck!

We had great luck with the forums when preparing our K1 application and AOS. We are just starting to prepare for ROC and hoping someone can help with this.

My concern is my husband's (the PR) occupation. Since before he came to the US, he has been doing his PhD with a school in France. His thesis committee agreed to let him do it long distance (it's mostly data analysis and writing), so he lives in the US and travels to France and to his field site (in another country) from time to time. He is not employed in the US and has little to no income, which I assume will be evident when reviewing our tax returns. Could this be a red flag? We did not have an interview for AOS, so I am assuming we will have one this time around. We have plenty of evidence of financial commingling (joint accounts, lease agreement, life insurance, IRA, health and dental insurance, plus tax returns, affidavits, etc), I am just worried that they will think it is odd that he is doing his PhD at an institution in a different country. We do have a good rationale if the question comes up - it is only $500/year tuition in France and a much shorter degree than US universities.

Can someone tell me if I'm becoming paranoid, please?

ROC Journey:

4/24/13 - Submitted I-751 application

4/26/13 - I-751 officially filed

6/11/13 - Biometrics done

8/14/13 - Rec'd RFE

9/21/13 - Submitted RFE response

9/23/13 - RFE response rec'd at VSC

(about 2 months later)

11/21/13 - Service request via Tier 1 submitted

12/11/13 - Response to service request rec'd - vague info about processing times

12/12/13 - Service request via Tier 2 submitted

12/10/13 - APPROVED!!! (letter rec'd 12/14/13)

12/16/13 - 2nd Service request response rec'd

12/17/13 - Card production email/text rec'd (online case updated)!

12/24/13 - Notification rec'd via email regarding card mailed on 12/23/13 (online case updated as well)

12/26/13 - 10-yr card rec'd!

One thing I have learned on this journey:

There is no such thing as an "overkill" evidence package. Submit anything and everything you can. Who knows what will prevent you from getting an RFE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.