yairzick

Filing an I-130 - no domicile or residence

29 posts in this topic

So, my wife and kids won't even be able to come to the US on a tourist visa/any other visa? This is completely ridiculous! I have talked to my employer, and they hope that things will go through smoothly, if not, I may actually need to give up the position. If there are children involved, doesn't it make things faster? One could argue that this is breaking the family nucleus, child benefit etc.

Oh, one more thing, what documents do I need to attach to the I-130? Apart from the standard ones (copies of marriage cert, birth certs, passport photos, my social security card), what documents would show that I intend to move to the US? What will suffice? I'm guessing that a letter from my prospective employer, what else? Does it need to be in the original petition with the I-130, or will USICS request these documents at a later point in time?

On another note, is there another, less time-consuming way of getting a lower-grade visa for my family? Say, a non-immigrant visa that will later be converted to an immigrant visa? From what I've read, it seems that the answer is an emphatic no.

On a final note, it is completely ridiculous that getting your family to the US is HARDER for US citizens than for non-US citizens. If I were to renounce my citizenship tomorrow and apply for a work visa, the whole process would have been done in a few months, no hassles. Oh, and I would be exempt from paying my taxes. Although I'm guessing that if I do that, my chances of getting a US visa ever again are slim.

So, my wife and kids won't even be able to come to the US on a tourist visa/any other visa? This is completely ridiculous! I have talked to my employer, and they hope that things will go through smoothly, if not, I may actually need to give up the position. If there are children involved, doesn't it make things faster? One could argue that this is breaking the family nucleus, child benefit etc.

They can VISIT as tourists, but not move until you have their visas.

Having kids adds no special consideration.

Welcome to the American immigration system. I'm sorry.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

But, will they be allowed to get tourist visas with a current immigration case pending? This is a guess of course, but what is the general rule? I mean, I really don't care what visa they're under in the US, so long as we're together.

But, will they be allowed to get tourist visas with a current immigration case pending? This is a guess of course, but what is the general rule? I mean, I really don't care what visa they're under in the US, so long as we're together.

If they don't already have tourist visas and need to apply for them, having "immigrant intent" in the form of a pending I-130 can make it extremely difficult.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

By the way, thank you all so much for all of this really useful information. I tried to find an attorney in Singapore that specializes in US immigration, no luck.

Singapore is on the visa waiver program, so they do not need to apply for a visa. Will they be stopped at the airport?

Ah, no. VWP folks don't get too much hassle. When they visit, they should travel with documentation that shows they'll be going back again, ties to home etc. just in case they get some stick from immigration.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Ah, no. VWP folks don't get too much hassle. When they visit, they should travel with documentation that shows they'll be going back again, ties to home etc. just in case they get some stick from immigration.

But, this means that they'll need to leave the US and come back, right? Can they go to Canada or something? We'll be in Pittsburgh, so it's not too far.

But, this means that they'll need to leave the US and come back, right? Can they go to Canada or something? We'll be in Pittsburgh, so it's not too far.

Leave proper. Going to Canada/Mexico doesn't count to reset their stay count (that's a loophole the US closed a whole back).

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Leave proper. Going to Canada/Mexico doesn't count to reset their stay count (that's a loophole the US closed a whole back).

So, if I want them to be with me for the time that the visa is processed, they'll need to fly from Singapore and back. Wow.

So, if I want them to be with me for the time that the visa is processed, they'll need to fly from Singapore and back. Wow.

Yup (or another country). :(

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Yup (or another country). sad.png

This might be arranged. Being a postdoc I'm sort of expected to do research visits, so it could work out. So, here's what I plan on doing

1. File an I-130 for my wife and kids, need to attach intent of staying in the US documents. What kind of documents would be relevant, anyone knows?

2. Wait for reply, NOT apply for a K-3/K-4 visas.

3. Travel to the US by myself. I think that I will not go in April 28th, but rather a month later, May 28th (my hosts are ok with that).

4. When I'm there, I'll wait for a bit (a month or two) and see where things stand. If I see that there's no way that this will work out soon, then I'll go on a research visit to some other country (maybe the UK, I have some friends/collaborators there that would agree to fund me). My family can join me there. Or, maybe I'll just go to Singapore on a research visit if that is possible.

I understand that there is an issue with this, since my wife will need to be in Singapore for the visa interview. Do you know if she MUST have the interview in Singapore? Can she do it in another country? If not, then she'll need to be physically present in Singapore anyway. If I understand correctly,

If my employer allows it, is it ok for me to stay in Singapore for a month or two? Will they give me trouble for going back to stay with my family while the case is in progress (I will maintain my employment and my address).

Oh, mirimilo mentioned the selective service thing. I'm not applying for a job with the TSA, how is this relevant?

Yeah, we're now thinking that this whole process is not worth it. I'll do my postdoc and they will visit occasionally on a tourist visa, and I will visit them. It's ridiculous, I'm like a tourist in a country that I'm a citizen of.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.