RaspberrySwirl

Moving back to Belgium

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

David and I are considering moving to Belgium once I have my citizenship here (just to avoid more paperwork hassle when we decide to move back to the US at some point).

Does anyone have any information on what needs to be done?

Thank you in advance!

:star:

::bump::

I've looked around a bit and all I can find is information on how to bring someone over to get married, while the Belgian citizen is already there. Nothing much about couples who are already married.

Oh well, thanks anyway >.<

I'll email the embassy or something I guess...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello everyone,

David and I are considering moving to Belgium once I have my citizenship here (just to avoid more paperwork hassle when we decide to move back to the US at some point).

Thank you in advance!

What do you mean, "what needs to be done"? With regard to what?

You'll probably want to get an Immigrant Visa-type thing from Belgium so he has permission to move there...

The US consulates sometimes have info on their webpages for people who want to move to the country in question.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

What do you mean, "what needs to be done"? With regard to what?

You'll probably want to get an Immigrant Visa-type thing from Belgium so he has permission to move there...

The US consulates sometimes have info on their webpages for people who want to move to the country in question.

Thank you for the reply, meauxna. And sorry about the confusion. I should have been more clear.

I'd like to know if we do need a visa for David, I can't find anything about that. Any info I find is about what to do once you're in Belgium (registering at the local town hall etc.).

Anyhow, I'll look into it further.

Thanks everyone.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thank you for the reply, meauxna. And sorry about the confusion. I should have been more clear.

I'd like to know if we do need a visa for David, I can't find anything about that. Any info I find is about what to do once you're in Belgium (registering at the local town hall etc.).

Anyhow, I'll look into it further.

Thanks everyone.

hmm, I had a look and see why you are confused! :star:

This isn't quite it (certificate of celibacy!?!) but close... The Belgian Embassy would be a good resource though.

http://www.diplobel.us/TravelingBelgium/Vi...ianPartners.asp

The US Consulate wasn't too much help. See "Living in Belgium"

http://brussels.usembassy.gov/living_in_belgium.html

But, there are a few expat websites listed on that page. Real people will have a more real answer for you, I imagine. It may actually be that he does not need a visa ahead of time and just needs to do the registration you mention. This would not be so unusual for a country with low in-migration.

Happy reading! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

No idea how it works in Belgium, but if it's in any way similar to Germany (which is possible given that there are EU-standards in terms of migration), all you would have to do is go to the town hall and register your husband. He will then apply for a permanent residency certificate and a work permit which he will be granted based on the fact that he's married to you. The whole process should take about 2 weeks at the most.

I'd check the website of the registrar of the city you're planning to move to or the website of the Belgian ministry for interior affairs for details...

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

No idea how it works in Belgium, but if it's in any way similar to Germany (which is possible given that there are EU-standards in terms of migration), all you would have to do is go to the town hall and register your husband. He will then apply for a permanent residency certificate and a work permit which he will be granted based on the fact that he's married to you. The whole process should take about 2 weeks at the most.

I'd check the website of the registrar of the city you're planning to move to or the website of the Belgian ministry for interior affairs for details...

That's exactly the idea I got from reading through a few websites. It just seems way too easy but then again, after US immigration, everything does. :unsure:

Thank you both!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.