miriny

Visa denied

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Same thing happened to me and my then fiancé, now husband was denied visa but not by USCIS or NVC they approved us but once it got to his embassy in Bangladesh it was denied there!!...COLD BLOODED...and I believe my income wasn't enough, but I had a co-sponsor we had a BOOK of evidence but still got denied. That was a hurting moment it took a lot out of us but we maintained and never broke up after 1 1/2 years from denial we got married on

did you get the spouse visa in the end? Im scared ill get denied this too.how can you comingle finances when you live in different countries..It seems impossible .I also had tons of all the evidence they said we'd need.. my fiance answered everything honestly.we had a very strong co sponser.Now we are trying to think of what to do..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I don't believe your information above is completely accurate. It is true there is a 30 day waiting period, however, it does not say you need to be in India during that 30 days. Only one of you has to be a resident for at least 30 days. See below:

• The parties to the intended marriage have to give a notice to the Marriage Officer.
  • This Marriage Officer is chosen on the basis of residence of one of the parties. For example, you will apply to the Marriage Officer in whose jurisdiction you or your spouse has resided for not less than 30 days prior to the date of notice. So if you are applying on June 30, 2010 you should have lived in the jurisdiction from May 30, 2010 to June 30, 2010.
  • The notice will be put up in a noticeable point at his office.
  • If your spouse is residing in the area of another Marriage Officer, a copy of the notice should be sent to him for similar display and publication.
  • The idea of putting up such notices is to ensure that the marriage is legal and that no one in the community has an objection to it.
  • The marriage may be solemnized after the expiry of one month from the date of publication of the notice, if no objections are received.
  • If any objections are received, the Marriage Officer has to investigate into the matter. He will then decide if it is ok to solemnize the wedding or to refuse it altogether.
  • Registration will be done after solemnization of the marriage.
  • There is no rule of when the certificate can be issued. Sometimes it may take less than a few hours. At other times, it may take about 1-2 weeks to get the marriage certificate.
The registration office may require you to submit a NOC from the embassy which is an affidavit from you stating you are free to marry.
I am getting married in India on December 25th, however, we are getting married under the Hindu Marriage Act. Our marriage will be solemnized by a priest and then we will go get our marriage registered.

Rabikanta & Lisa, December 25, 2013

RabikantaAndLisaVJ.jpg

LisaThokchomPriest.jpgBonesPriest.jpgGettingReadyVJ.jpgRabiVJ.jpgFatherInLawVJ.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

thats who told me.. I got it from a website ...and one other said the same(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/getting-married-in-india_n_1263653.html)

This is a very poor source. Get the information from the right source, i.e. the actual document from the Indian government http://www.gujhealth.gov.in/images/pdf/legis/special-marriage-act-1954.pdf and http://www.karunadu.gov.in/karigr/actsrules/otheracts/splmarract.htm.

Read the language carefully. It does not say both parties must be residents of India. The only exceptions are the Indian states of Goa and Jammu and Kashmir. Does your fiance reside in those states?

Here is a direct exerpt from the act itself: 1. Section 1 & 4 - Marriage between foreign national and Indian - Whether the marriage can be solemnized of an Indian Citizen with a foreign national in India under the provisions of the Special Marriage Act, 1954. Held. A foreigner can get married in India with a girl of Indian Nationality under the provision of the Special Marriage Act 1954. Any two persons in India, where one of them or both of them are foreigners or both of them are Indians can enter into a form of marriage under the Act. [Vatsala & others vs. Sub-Registrar and Marriage Officer and others : Kar L.J. 1981 (1) 294.]

Plenty of people on this site have been successful at marrying under the Special Marriage Act.There are also countless NRIs returning to India to marry.

Sometimes it takes some time, patience, and dedication. If you are looking for a quick fix, I suggest you avoid pursuing a marriage in India. I can guarantee it will be time-consuming, costly, and frustrating. But as I said before, it is entirely possible. For the record, I am a natural born American not of Indian origin.

Do some research on the India portal. There are several interracial couples filing for the CR-1/IR-1 who were recently approved and are still active. My suggestion is to send them a message and ask for advice on marrying in India via Special Marriage Act if that is the route you wish to take.

I got married in a religious ceremony and registered my marriage under a different act so I cannot offer personal experience on the Special Marriage Act.

As I mentioned previously, you still have the option to marry in a third country or you can refile for the K-1.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline
Residency Requirement And Waiting Period

Individuals marrying in India must have proof that they have been in the country for at least 30 days prior to appearing before the local marriage registrar. There is a 30-day waiting period for couples marrying in India. Therefore, couples can expect to spend at least 60 days in India before exchanging vows.

Intent To Marry

India's Special Marriage Act (1954) requires the marriage registrar to post notice of a couple's impending marriage in the local newspaper as well as on the registrar office's notice board. During the 30-day waiting period, anyone can object to the marriage. If there is an objection, the marriage registrar will make a ruling on the objection, and the couple can go through an appeals process, if necessary. If there is no objection, the couple can marry after the notice has been posted for 30 days.

The Ceremony

Both religious and civil ceremonies are recognized in India. Additional Divisional Magistrates can perform civil ceremonies at the marriage registrar's office. Three witnesses must attend the civil ceremony, per the Special Marriage Act of 1954. Marriage certificates issued by most religious authorities are sufficient, and couples do not have to obtain an additional certificate from the marriage registrar. However, the Hindu Marriage Act, which applies to Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and Buddhists, requires couples married under these religions to obtain a marriage certificate through the marriage registrar, though their ceremony can be performed by a religious authority.

The Marriage Certificate

Couples must visit the local marriage registrar office, usually located in a court complex or municipal building, to obtain a marriage certificate. In many cases, each individual must secure a "no objection letter," which can be obtained through the U.S. Embassy and will state his or her "marital status and eligibility to marry." After a marriage is solemnized following the 30-day waiting period, couples will receive their marriage certificate as legal proof that they are married.

Legal Documentation

Couples who were married in a civil ceremony must provide a number of documents to the marriage registrar after exchanging vows. They must submit the "no objection letters" they obtained through the U.S. Embassy. In addition, they must provide a passport or birth certificate to verify their age. They also must prove that they have been in India for at least 30 days; a ration card can indicate length of stay. They also must submit two passport-sized photographs for each individual and a marriage photograph. Individuals who have been previously married must submit the divorce papers or death certificate of their former spouse.

thats who told me.. I got it from a website ...and one other said the same(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/getting-married-in-india_n_1263653.html)

I read on this and only 1 person needs to live in India for 30 days, that be your fiance, secondly, one thing I learned about India anything is possible with a little bit of bribery help. My fiance and I originally wanted to marry in India and he was going to bribe them to marry a foreigner. Its really not that hard to marry over there in India, and if his interview goes bad, we already planned on doing this in March.

After we got married in April of this year we just applied for marriage visa it is now in process, We are waiting for the outcome! and I pray we get approved. When my husband got denied his fiancé visa we both were devastated. so we went with plan (B) which was to go ahead and get married. We have been a total of 3 1/2 years together He lives in London now and I am in the U.S. waiting on our I-130 approval.

I went to him in March of this year to London and we got married there. I stayed with him for one month and a week after our wedding I returned to United States. We also had a foolish lawyer who told us the same thing, that all our papers, co-sponsors were in order and everything was strong and there wasn't any problems and that we should get the visa!....well wrongggggggg.

I hope everything works out for you and your fiancé.

Timeline

I read on this and only 1 person needs to live in India for 30 days, that be your fiance, secondly, one thing I learned about India anything is possible with a little bit of bribery help. My fiance and I originally wanted to marry in India and he was going to bribe them to marry a foreigner. Its really not that hard to marry over there in India, and if his interview goes bad, we already planned on doing this in March.

My fiance said he will look into the particulars..I was told both people need to be residents.. he is in karnataka.. not any of those states.. bribery ..good if it works..hahahha.. If the congresswoan cant do anything than we will try this if in fact we can do it. But I can only stay a maximum of 3 weeks in India at a time. no one can keep mychildren more than this and I will lose my job if i take more.. I just dont want to get rejected.Thanks for giving us hope!

After we got married in April of this year we just applied for marriage visa it is now in process, We are waiting for the outcome! and I pray we get approved. When my husband got denied his fiancé visa we both were devastated. so we went with plan (B) which was to go ahead and get married. We have been a total of 3 1/2 years together He lives in London now and I am in the U.S. waiting on our I-130 approval.

I went to him in March of this year to London and we got married there. I stayed with him for one month and a week after our wedding I returned to United States. We also had a foolish lawyer who told us the same thing, that all our papers, co-sponsors were in order and everything was strong and there wasn't any problems and that we should get the visa!....well wrongggggggg.

I hope everything works out for you and your fiancé.

thanks !All the best with you two !Ill be praying for you!

Timeline

This is a very poor source. Get the information from the right source, i.e. the actual document from the Indian government http://www.gujhealth.gov.in/images/pdf/legis/special-marriage-act-1954.pdf and http://www.karunadu.gov.in/karigr/actsrules/otheracts/splmarract.htm.

Read the language carefully. It does not say both parties must be residents of India. The only exceptions are the Indian states of Goa and Jammu and Kashmir. Does your fiance reside in those states?

Here is a direct exerpt from the act itself: 1. Section 1 & 4 - Marriage between foreign national and Indian - Whether the marriage can be solemnized of an Indian Citizen with a foreign national in India under the provisions of the Special Marriage Act, 1954. Held. A foreigner can get married in India with a girl of Indian Nationality under the provision of the Special Marriage Act 1954. Any two persons in India, where one of them or both of them are foreigners or both of them are Indians can enter into a form of marriage under the Act. [Vatsala & others vs. Sub-Registrar and Marriage Officer and others : Kar L.J. 1981 (1) 294.]

Plenty of people on this site have been successful at marrying under the Special Marriage Act.There are also countless NRIs returning to India to marry.

Sometimes it takes some time, patience, and dedication. If you are looking for a quick fix, I suggest you avoid pursuing a marriage in India. I can guarantee it will be time-consuming, costly, and frustrating. But as I said before, it is entirely possible. For the record, I am a natural born American not of Indian origin.

Do some research on the India portal. There are several interracial couples filing for the CR-1/IR-1 who were recently approved and are still active. My suggestion is to send them a message and ask for advice on marrying in India via Special Marriage Act if that is the route you wish to take.

I got married in a religious ceremony and registered my marriage under a different act so I cannot offer personal experience on the Special Marriage Act.

As I mentioned previously, you still have the option to marry in a third country or you can refile for the K-1.

Timeline

third country? wich he would need a visa for any place.. any Ideas??

I can imagine how you and your fiancé must feel, we were very afraid too our emotions were rampant!!...and I can truly tell you to plan for PLAN B,C, and D and have lots of faith....Its too bad that wanting to be with your love has to be deemed by borders!!...and so much paperwork

I want to know how your progress turns out so...please keep me posted. I am a divorcee also and my Husband is 28 years younger then me...lol....very big difference huh....

Timeline

I can imagine how you and your fiancé must feel, we were very afraid too our emotions were rampant!!...and I can truly tell you to plan for PLAN B,C, and D and have lots of faith....Its too bad that wanting to be with your love has to be deemed by borders!!...and so much paperwork

I want to know how your progress turns out so...please keep me posted. I am a divorcee also and my Husband is 28 years younger then me...lol....very big difference huh....

listen, if you two love eachother who is anyone else to stick their nose in.Life is too short to be miserable.Sometimes we dont understand why the special one meant for us was born after us..I can tell you My fiance is my rock.. hes been with me through so much always keeping me strong and just being there for me. I have called him all hours of the day and night and he always has patience and knows how to make things right again..He always supports my decisions no matter what I decide.He gives me his advice but never expects me to take it..hehe..actually Im very thankful to him .Hes the only man Ive ever met that can handle me..heheThis is priceless.. no way in the world Im letting this one go.I never was INTO younger men.. but he is not typical.I treasure him.I can completely understand why you or any of us will go through all this for that special someone.Ill keep you posted.We will hope,wish and pray for great things to come!

Timeline

I hope you guys breeze through it.i dont wish this on my worst enemy.Its great your being positive and looking forward..all the best

Timeline

I have to be postive or I will go crazy! I know the day off I will be frantic witth worry and I told myself no more worry over something I have no control over, but still I am hopeful and we have chatted and I have the same red flags as you and your fiance and when y'all got denied it has my me frantic, but I am hopeful as well as my fiance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.