Dev & Mike

I-864 contradictory instructions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I come on a K-1 Fiancé Visa from France. We got married. We are now filling for AOS and I am hear to get your help to clarify the grey areas around the I-864 form

A) p4 at the bottom: Part 6 Sponsor's Income and Employment

My fiancée is a student. Shoud we:

- check 1: Employed as: and we write "student".

- check 4: Unemployed but then what should we put for the "since date". She just had summer jobs the last years.

What the unemployed status really mean? That she is registered somewhere as unemployed?

Just so you know, since she is a student, her father is a joint sponsor so he fills a i-864 form as well.

B) p5:

It is not clear if Person 1, 2, 3 etc must include the sponsor filling the form.

On the instructions, p5 at the end of the page it says:

"Take your annual individual income from Item Number 5 and enter it on Item Number 6c (Person1)".

However, on the form for Item Number 10, it says to total all lines from 5, 6c, 7c etc.

Which then makes no sense to count two times the same number for the total number right?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Dev & Mike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If she is not working, then she is unemployed. You would put unemployed since the last date she was employed. Example, if the last she worked in the Summer was August 30th, then she would be unemployed since 08/30/2013.

"Take your annual individual income from Item Number 5. and enter it on Item Number 6.c." <-- That part of the instructions are actually incorrect and a leftover mistake from when they updated to the new form edition and changed a few things. You enter the total income on line #10. So basically you enter the amount on line 5 and again on 10. Her father will be filling out his own I-864 as her joint sponsor and not combining incomes with hers, so she will not use lines 6a. - 9c. at all.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.