Sankofa

Fiance Moved!!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiance moved to a new apartment in Accra a few weeks ago, but his mailing address is still the same. His mailing address is listed on the I-129F, but I included an addendum listing his physical address as well. We're still waiting on our NOA2, so should we contact USCIS now to notify them of his address change or wait to notify the embassy in Accra once they receive our packet? I know everyone in Ghana receives mail via P.O Box, so I don't foresee this as creating a huge problem for us. But I'm sure we should notify someone of his physical address change.... Right??

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Sankofa

K-1

October 10, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to TSC via Express Mail guaranteed 3 day delivery (NOT!!)

October 23, 2006 - NOA1

October 27, 2006 - Check cashed - called bank to obtain case# from back of check

October 31, 2006 - Received NOA1 via snail mail

January 17, 2007 - NOA2

January 24, 2007 - NVC received petition

January 25, 2007 - Petition forwarded to Ghana

March 11, 2007 - Fiance receives letter from Embassy dated February 12 informing him to come pick up Packet 3!!! (case never lost!!!)

March 27, 2007 - Packet 3 received from Embassy

March 28, 2007 - Packet 3 returned, Packet 4 received with interview date

July 12, 2007 - Interview Date

August 10, 2007 - Picked up Visa from American Embassy in Accra

August 11, 2007 - Engagement Ceremony in Accra, Ghana

August 21, 2007 - MY BABY CAME HOME!!! POE - JFK

AOS

August 27, 2007 - Civil Marriage Ceremony

September 21, 2007 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox

September 28, 2007 - Check cashed

October 1, 2007 - Received NOA's (1-485, I-131, I-765) in mail dated September 27, 2007

October 21, 2007 - Wedding Day!!

October 22, 2007 - Original date for Biometrics appt (missed appt because of honeymoon)

November 7, 2007 - Walked in to USCIS Jacksonville and had biometrics taken with no problems

November 13, 2007 - AP Received

November 19, 2007 - EAD Received

November 29, 2007 - Case transferred to CSC

January 22, 2007 - RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN MAIL DATED JANUARY 14, 2008!!!!

Filed: Timeline

I don't have any suggestions for you, as I am new at all this. But since you brought the topic up, I have question, maybe you can help me with or someone else that may read this could know. When I filled out the I-129f, I did not put Kwabena's P.O. Box on the application, although I know no mail goes to his physical address, I gave only the street address, all because the appli. asked for street address. Do you think this would create any problems? I guess I was thinking that the embassy knows they don't use physical addresses, and that they would call him to pickup package 3, when ever that time arrives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks and have a good nite

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
My fiance moved to a new apartment in Accra a few weeks ago, but his mailing address is still the same. His mailing address is listed on the I-129F, but I included an addendum listing his physical address as well. We're still waiting on our NOA2, so should we contact USCIS now to notify them of his address change or wait to notify the embassy in Accra once they receive our packet? I know everyone in Ghana receives mail via P.O Box, so I don't foresee this as creating a huge problem for us. But I'm sure we should notify someone of his physical address change.... Right??

Thanks in advance...

I don't think you should fuel the fire. Just my opinion.

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

Timeline
I don't have any suggestions for you, as I am new at all this. But since you brought the topic up, I have question, maybe you can help me with or someone else that may read this could know. When I filled out the I-129f, I did not put Kwabena's P.O. Box on the application, although I know no mail goes to his physical address, I gave only the street address, all because the appli. asked for street address. Do you think this would create any problems? I guess I was thinking that the embassy knows they don't use physical addresses, and that they would call him to pickup package 3, when ever that time arrives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks and have a good nite

Hopefully we will get input from those with more experience who have already gone through Ghana. But as far as I understand, I think they mail the Packet 3 to the beneficiary (which in Ghana would be to their P.O Box mailing address). But you are right, the embassy knows this and I assume they would try to contact the beneficiary by other means if there is no mailing address listed. (Key word being ASSUME) From reading posts of those before us, a few of them didn't even wait for the packet 3 in the mail, they emailed or made contact with the embassy to pick up their packet as soon as or shortly after their case reached the embassy. I would suggest you do the same - either to provide them with your fiance's P.O Box or superceed the whole mailing process and pick up the packet at the embassy (if this is possible). I don't forsee this as being a huge problem for you either, but then again, what do I know... I'm still on first base :)

Edited by Sankofa

K-1

October 10, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to TSC via Express Mail guaranteed 3 day delivery (NOT!!)

October 23, 2006 - NOA1

October 27, 2006 - Check cashed - called bank to obtain case# from back of check

January 17, 2007 - NOA2

March 11, 2007 - Fiance receives letter from Embassy dated February 12 informing him to come pick up Packet 3!!! (case never lost!!!)

AOS

October 1, 2007 - Received NOA's (1-485, I-131, I-765) in mail dated September 27, 2007

October 22, 2007 - Original date for Biometrics appt (missed appt because of honeymoon)

November 7, 2007 - Walked in to USCIS Jacksonville and had biometrics taken with no problems

Filed: Timeline

Hopefully we will get input from those with more experience who have already gone through Ghana. But as far as I understand, I think they mail the Packet 3 to the beneficiary (which in Ghana would be to their P.O Box mailing address). But you are right, the embassy knows this and I assume they would try to contact the beneficiary by other means if there is no mailing address listed. (Key word being ASSUME) From reading posts of those before us, a few of them didn't even wait for the packet 3 in the mail, they emailed or made contact with the embassy to pick up their packet as soon as or shortly after their case reached the embassy. I would suggest you do the same - either to provide them with your fiance's P.O Box or superceed the whole mailing process and pick up the packet at the embassy (if this is possible). I don't forsee this as being a huge problem for you either, but then again, what do I know... I'm still on first base :)

thanks, and I'll wait and see if anyone else posts some info about this. If I were to email the embassy his P.O. Box, at what point should I email them and where do I find their email address? Good luck with everything, I hope you get an approval soon. It seems as though, they will be coming around soon, I've saw some others with Oct approvals.

Timeline

thanks, and I'll wait and see if anyone else posts some info about this. If I were to email the embassy his P.O. Box, at what point should I email them and where do I find their email address? Good luck with everything, I hope you get an approval soon. It seems as though, they will be coming around soon, I've saw some others with Oct approvals.

Here's the webpage for the Visa Services Section of the US Embassy in Ghana. I sent them an email to get info before I found VJ and to my surprise they responded the very next day...

http://accra.usembassy.gov/wwwhvisa.html

The email address is: consulateaccra@state.gov

I would probably wait to email them his address once you are sure they have his packet. But again, I'm no expert on this matter :)

Good luck to you, too and thanks for the well wishes...

K-1

October 23, 2006 - NOA1

January 17, 2007 - NOA2

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi,

The mailing address and physical mail address is not relevant in Ghana. The postal system is totally unreliable and no one knows or uses street addresses. You find things by saying, for example, "opposite the Shell station." Maybe in the richer areas of Accra people use addresses, but still the mail doesn't get delivered.

So the embassy surely doesn't care about a physical address change. Unless it's a change to another city, maybe. Everyone goes to pick up packets about two weeks after their USC fiance receives the NVC notice. They won't have entered the case into their system until after they receive it from NVC, so to inform them of an address change now won't do any good. Once your fiance picks up packet 3 you can start listing the new address on the next sets of forms, but my advice is to just use the same address to keep all the records consistent. No one is going to ever go to that address, and no mail will go there. It's one of the many things on U.S. forms that is designed with American ways of doing things in mind and pays no attention to the situation of other (especially developing) countries.

O was basically living with me through the process but on the forms we had his old physical address along with his PO Box and all was well. No one ever aked about addresses and they never sent him anything.

Good luck to you!

Edited by a&o

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.