JeffNJazz

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi I just joined so this post is an introduction

I am a USC married to a Canadian, married and living in Canada for 11 years. I am filing my I-130 today at the Chicago lockbox. My husband and I have never spent a night apart since our wedding and I'm hoping to avoid having to be apart at all during our immigration journey. My parents live in North Carolina and plan to cosponsor for the financial part since our income is all Canadian, and we will be staying with them after the paperwork goes through until we can find a place of our own in the USA.

I'm a little nervous looking at the lead times, unless I'm reading it wrong it looks like all 4 processing centers are still working on cases that they received more than a year ago (last October) and after the I-130 is approved there are still several more steps to go through before we could move. I had originally planned on this entire process taking about a year until we can move and now it seems like it will be quite a bit longer than that.

I'm also a little concerned about establishing domicile since I have lived in Canada for 11 years, but I still have bank accounts and ties in the US and intent to move south with my husband so hopefully we'll be okay and I'll worry about that more when the time approaches.

So anyway that's a little bit about me and our visa journey. Thanks for letting me join!

Married: May 19, 2002
NOA1: November 25, 2013
NOA2: May 19, 2014 (anniversary gift!)
NVC received: June 3, 2014
Case # assigned: June 23, 2014
DS-261 complete: July 7, 2014
DS-261 accepted: July 9, 2014
Email received from NVC re: AOS fee: July 8, 2014
AOS fee paid: July 9, 2014
(waited 1 more week for snail mail tax transcript, still hasn't arrived a month after sending request, decided to send I-864 with photocopy instead)

I-864 sent: July 19, 2014 (Decided on Electronic Processing)
I-864 accepted: July 28 & 31 (sent twice because of PDF password thingy)
Sent IV package: August 7, 2014
IV package accepted: August 8, 2014
IV fee invoiced/paid: August 19, 2014
DS-260 completed: August 22, 2014
CASE COMPLETE: September 19, 2014 :dancing: :joy: :dancing:
Medical: November 3, 2014
Interview: November 7, 2014

APPROVED APPROVED APPROVED :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Welcome to VJ!

I would take those service center timelines with a grain of salt. They tend to be exaggerated (they don't want people calling in service requests all the time). Currently, I would expect about 7 - 8 months for the I-130, up to a year for the entire process. The USCIS is currently severely backlogged on I-130 petitions, but once they get backlogged enough, they tend to speed up again.

When I filed in February of 2012, most filers had been waiting 7 - 8 months for their I-130 approvals (NOA2) due to an I-130 backlog. By the time our I-130 was approved, it was May 29th of the same year - 3.5 months. These timelines fluctuate all the time.

However, I would expect roughly one year from initial filing, until the IR-1 visa is firmly stamped in your spouse's passport.