babsloblaw

renouncing citizenship with K1 visa?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

First time poster. I've been lurking on this site for a while now.

Basically, I'm applying for a K-1 visa using my current citizenship.

At the same time, I'm in the middle of naturalizing in my country of residence.

Time-wise, I will have to get the K-1 visa under my old citizenship, get the passport for my new citizenship,

and at some point after, renounce my old citizenship (requirement for naturalization).

I assume I can't get renounce my old citizenship before I enter the US on the K-1. (or can I? help!)

So can I renounce right after I enter the US, and send in my AOS with the new citizenship, despite the K-1 visa being in my old passport?

Hello everyone,

First time poster. I've been lurking on this site for a while now.

Basically, I'm applying for a K-1 visa using my current citizenship.

At the same time, I'm in the middle of naturalizing in my country of residence.

Time-wise, I will have to get the K-1 visa under my old citizenship, get the passport for my new citizenship,

and at some point after, renounce my old citizenship (requirement for naturalization).

I assume I can't get renounce my old citizenship before I enter the US on the K-1. (or can I? help!)

So can I renounce right after I enter the US, and send in my AOS with the new citizenship, despite the K-1 visa being in my old passport?

Welcome to the forums. All this naturalization from one country to another is confusing to me. Why are you doing all of this? All the K-1 visa does is allow you to enter the US and get married to a USC and then file for adjustment of status (AOS) to become a lawful perment resident (LPR). The only issue your citizenship would have would be on the location of the interview for the K-1 visa and how much scrunity you receive in being issued a K-1 visa.

The important part of your question is that once you enter the US on the K-1 visa it is no longer valid so it does not matter which passport it is in. The document you care about after entry to the US is the I-94. I would make a copy of the old passport bio page and the K-1 visa page just to have it. Once in the US your citizenship does not matter except for which country you need to apply for a passport from in order to travel internationally. You do not need a passport at all if you plan to remain in the US and never travel internationally until you become a USC and then apply for a US passport.

Good luck,

Dave

Welcome to the forums. All this naturalization from one country to another is confusing to me. Why are you doing all of this? All the K-1 visa does is allow you to enter the US and get married to a USC and then file for adjustment of status (AOS) to become a lawful perment resident (LPR). The only issue your citizenship would have would be on the location of the interview for the K-1 visa and how much scrunity you receive in being issued a K-1 visa.

The important part of your question is that once you enter the US on the K-1 visa it is no longer valid so it does not matter which passport it is in. The document you care about after entry to the US is the I-94. I would make a copy of the old passport bio page and the K-1 visa page just to have it. Once in the US your citizenship does not matter except for which country you need to apply for a passport from in order to travel internationally. You do not need a passport at all if you plan to remain in the US and never travel internationally until you become a USC and then apply for a US passport.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks Dave, that clears things up immensely!

The naturalization thing had been in the works for a while, before I inadvertently stumbled into a boyfriend-then-fiance. Really, this would be non-issue if I'm just remotely patient and waited out my naturalization. Curse my type-A personality.

J

I believe that you can just get the visa in your old passport, and then use your new passport + the invalidated old passport. U.S. visas remain valid until their expiration date even when the passport they're in has expired. I assume this would be the same with a passport that is no longer valid because you renounced the nationality.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.